It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The window of opportunity for safe evacuation is down to 2 hours, updated to catagory 5 up to 290 kph/ 170mph combined with a high tide. Just a terrifying scenario, just spoke to a mate in Cairns they are going to try and ride it out, i would be heading for the hills.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here is a NZ news article
www.stuff.co.nz...

Wind gusts of up to 320km/h expected.

I hope there are no deaths or injuries and I hope no one leaves their pets behind, as people are evacuating on all fronts.
edit on 1-2-2011 by remrem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
good luck to you all in north queensland. i will take our heatwave down here in sydney any day over facing a cat 5 cyclone.

going now to watch it unfold live on t.v. my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Please know that we from the US have you in our thoughts and prayers. Two enormous storms hitting different parts of the earth at the same time, Yikes! I pray that you all will be evacuated in time.

Your friend from ATS
Mahree

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by remrem

Wind gusts of up to 320km/h expected.

Rubbish

Absolute media overkill...most the stuff being posted is just pure assumption. If anyeone wants to keep and eye on the real observations that have been put out by our weather stations, use this www.bom.gov.au...

The eye is directly over Willis Island at the moment and the maximum wind gust recorded on the inner wall is around 200km/h, making it category 4

I work for the Bureau and it sickens me to hear all the BS the media is putting out....its not the strongest cyclone ever, its in the top 10....but not even close to Tropical Cyclone Vance which hit Western Australia in the 90's or Tropical Cyclone Orson

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I work for the Bureau and it sickens me to hear all the BS the media is putting out....its not the strongest cyclone ever, its in the top 10....but not even close to Tropical Cyclone Vance which hit Western Australia in the 90's or Tropical Cyclone Orson

Yes the media do hype it up, but this would probably be the biggest to hit a heavily populated area that I am aware of..
No ???

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by djtek
Lets hope they have a better emergency system than FEMA...this could be devastating.

Our 'FEMA' is the State Emergency Service (SES) Its 99.9% volunteers, & along with the professional emergency services & Defence Force, if anything can be done before & after, it will be. Its locals looking after their own homes, they all have a personal investment in this. The SES from other states are probably ready to go right now to fly in & help. I was with them & even down to local area commands, each helps the other because we know we will need the others help one day.

To mention another's post. Yes this storm is further north than the floods, but the flood waters have flown down from up north due to previous storms & monsoons. All this rain will flow down south in a month or so & the floods will happen again, but probably worse as the ground is soaked now.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Its all being blown up to make Bligh look good, the "Doomsday Premier' saves us all.

Can you tell us what the word is at the BOM ? Whats their expectations, I dont trust the Weatherchannel or whoever it is they always quote.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I heard this stom is going to hit land at the same time as high tide causing a pretty severe storm surge!

Ozweatherman....looking at past weather trends, and assumptions that this Cyclone will head inland quite abit before it dissipates, is it fair to say after it breaks down over central Australia those moist cluds wil then head south east towards Adelaide and Melbourne and bring rain with it?

I know when there are cyclones off the coast of WA once they breakdown over land bout 5 days later Melbourne gets a drenching.

I appreciate your opinion.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
[
Yes the media do hype it up, but this would probably be the biggest to hit a heavily populated area that I am aware of..
No ???

No, not at all

Tropical Cyclone Vance flattened the towns of Exmouth and Onslow, and destroyed countless numbers of small communities.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

No, not at all

Tropical Cyclone Vance flattened the towns of Exmouth and Onslow, and destroyed countless numbers of small communities.

How short our memories are huh..
Nowadays in the media everything seems to be the worst, biggest or longest ever..
Guess it sells news..

So all the talk of it being raised the a cat 5 before hitting is bull..??

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38

Its all being blown up to make Bligh look good, the "Doomsday Premier' saves us all.

Yeah, I wish she would shut her mouth, she has no idea what she is on about

Can you tell us what the word is at the BOM ? Whats their expectations, I dont trust the Weatherchannel or whoever it is they always quote.

We are expecting it to hit the coast later today or this evening, and the assumed wind speeds would indicate that it will hit as a Cat 5 storm. We cant say for sure what wind speeds will be experienced because it cant be measured until the cyclone is actually over our equipment. The wind speeds we got at Willis Island (cyclone directly over that weather station, our staff were evacuated yesterday), were gusts of just over 200kmh, which is not cat 5 wind speeds.

We have also lost our weather radar, I suspect its been blown off the roof, and our AWS (automatic weather station) thermometers are not reading correctly. However the anemometer and barometer are working perfectly still.

edit on 1/2/2011 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

If its overblown why does the current Bureau of Meteorology warning say,'likely to be more life threatening than any experienced during recent generations.'

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
I heard this stom is going to hit land at the same time as high tide causing a pretty severe storm surge!

Ozweatherman....looking at past weather trends, and assumptions that this Cyclone will head inland quite abit before it dissipates, is it fair to say after it breaks down over central Australia those moist cluds wil then head south east towards Adelaide and Melbourne and bring rain with it?

I know when there are cyclones off the coast of WA once they breakdown over land bout 5 days later Melbourne gets a drenching.

I appreciate your opinion.

Yeah thats a fair assumption. The threat map has it going almost as far inland as Mount Isa, but by that time it will be tropical depression. There is also a chance it may sneak into the Gulf of Carpentaria and re-intensify back into cyclone strength. Im not sure what its going to do yet. its too early to make a call, plus Im in West Australia, so Im not in a position to make any calls on where its going to end up.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

No, not at all

How short our memories are huh..
Nowadays in the media everything seems to be the worst, biggest or longest ever..
Guess it sells news..

So all the talk of it being raised the a cat 5 before hitting is bull..??

Yeah, plus the emphasis on severe weather these days is a lot more interesting to the general public than it used to be 10 years ago. The media always blows things out of proportion. All of us here at the Bureau have a good laugh when they come up with such terms as "mini-cyclone" and "mini-tornado".

Its hard to say what category it is when its so far off sure. There are so many factors when the bulletins are put out that have to be analysed. It may well hit the coast as a cat 5, the water certainly is warm enough to continue feeding it, and the structure is perfect at the moment. The winds observed at Willis Island however, were of cat 3 to cat 4.....but unfortunantly because our staff were evacuated, we cant tell wether or not the anemometer is working....I assume it is, but cant tell for sure

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Have you ever been there when a cyclone has crossed the coast?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Rubbish
Absolute media overkill...most the stuff being posted is just pure assumption. If anyeone wants to keep and eye on the real observations that have been put out by our weather stations, use this www.bom.gov.au...:

Oz debunking weather reports? [[[falls off chair]]]

Source

First picture I have ever seen of a double whammy

edit on 1-2-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Have you ever been there when a cyclone has crossed the coast?

Yeah

I was stationed at Darwin Met office for 3 and half years. I been through a couple, but nothing greater than a category 2. I also lived in Cairns when there was Category 3 off the coast but it quickly decayed crossing as a tropcial low.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That looks like a wet one. I don't think OZ needs anymore rain. Please go someplace else.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Lol

Not debunking, just being a realist.....its really going overboard here

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join