It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown, Uncontacted Tribe Photographed in Brazilian Jungle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/85958c504f1e.jpg[/atsimg]

A previously uncontacted tribe has been found in Amazon jungle, with aerial photographs giving a glimpse of people who've had no known contact with anyone except their tribal neighbors.

Taken by Brazil's Indian Affairs department, the photographs were released Jan. 31 by Survival International, a tribal-advocacy group.

About 100 uncontacted tribes are believed to exist worldwide. They live in remote, resource-rich areas, and are threatened by invasive development. The last such discovery was made in 2008, also in the Amazon. This tribe was spotted at the mouth of the Envira river in western Brazil, not far from the Peruvian border.

"We're trying to bring awareness to uncontacted tribes, because they are so vulnerable. Governments often deny that they exist," said Tess Thackara, Survival International's U.S. coordinator. "We're releasing these images because we need evidence to prove they're there."

While this is pretty neat, I somehow doubt these tribes want awareness brought to them. They seem to have survived without the government/population intruding.

Maybe yhey don't want to be the "cause" of the week. I would also hazard a guess that there are a lot more undiscovered tribes than they are guessing.

More pictures at link www.wired.com...
edit on 2/1/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
They probably think the helicopter is an alien craft or a God!!!!

edit on 1/2/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Very cool, but isn't this the group that was found a few months ago? Or do all lost civilizations look the same

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Here's the story from 2008 when they was first found:

(Source)

And heres from the OP's source:

About 100 uncontacted tribes are believed to exist worldwide. They live in remote, resource-rich areas, and are threatened by invasive development. The last such discovery was made in 2008, also in the Amazon. This tribe was spotted at the mouth of the Envira river in western Brazil, not far from the Peruvian border.

edit on 1-2-2011 by Rising Against because: made a mistake...

In other words, I think the one you was thinking of was the one I just linked to from 2008.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this photo was proven a hoax months ago? something they made to promote their tourist trades I believe.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sm0k3

Yeah...I think this was proven a HOAX!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

The article said these pictures were just released yesterday, so I am not sure if it is a hoax. I wasn't around to see the 2008 pics here. Hopefully it is legit or I am going to send a very, very, not nice email.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Its amazing how some tribes go untouched for as long as they have. Makes one wonder. Too bad the "civilized" world will probably wind up raping and pillaging their home land for their recources.

HERE is a thread i started a while back deailing with "untapped civilizations".

S&F!

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yeah, there's a lot of threads about this very group. Here's one www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's isn't necessarily a hoax per se, the tribe is apparently real but they have been known about since the early 1900's at least.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I first saw this pic or one very similar in 2004, only they claimed it was Peru. I'll try to find the article... There is a follow up pic where they look to be aiming bows at the chopper.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Very interesting thread. I am going to check that out, thanks! I too, am fascinated by the fact that there are people who have not been touched by modern times. Just existing on their own little patch of earth.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The story seems to be spreading now to the MSM. I found this article this evening: www.foxnews.com...

Srvival International created a stir in 2008, when it released similar images of the same tribal groups -- images that sparked widespread allegations that the pictures were a hoax. Peru’s President Garcia has publicly suggested uncontacted tribes have been 'invented' by 'environmentalists' opposed to oil exploration in the Amazon, while another spokesperson compared them to the Loch Ness monster, the group explains on its site.

Survival International strongly disputes those allegations, however. A spokeswoman for the group told FoxNews.com that the Brazilian government has an entire division dedicated to helping out uncontacted tribes.

If they are indeed "hoaxing" they have fooled quite a few folks.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
If it's an unknown and uncontacted tribe, then how did they get a machete?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sm0k3
I'm pretty sure this photo was proven a hoax months ago?

It wasn't proven. Someone just decided to call it a hoax.

And they were wrong.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I really hope this is not a HOAX and that there are many more tribes like them hidden away in the jungle. I think it is awesome.

In the pics they are staring at the helicopter probably thinking "WTF". If we went down there with any modern convenience, computers and stuff they would consider us Gods. Puts an interesting feel on the ancient astronaut theory.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Epiphron

Because the phrase "unknown and uncontacted" has an inherent bias; These people are certainly known by and in frequent contact with neighboring tribes, but this is the first time non-native people have seen them.

And it's the non-natives who count, apparently Just like how they "discovered" three densely-populated continents.

It's entirely possible that the dude got the machete from a neighboring group via trade.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
After a closer inspection of the pic I do see a machete and also what looks like a metal pot.... very strange.

Maybe they found the stuff in a plane crash or they stumbled upon hikers that lost there way and perished or something.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Epiphron

Because the phrase "unknown and uncontacted" has an inherent bias; These people are certainly known by and in frequent contact with neighboring tribes, but this is the first time non-native people have seen them.

And it's the non-natives who count, apparently Just like how they "discovered" three densely-populated continents.

It's entirely possible that the dude got the machete from a neighboring group via trade.

Makes a lot of sense. Way more then my suggestions

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Eeny Meeny Miney Moe.....

It's moving day for all my threads!

Thanks

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

The tribe—whose name remains unknown—was first discovered by outsiders around 1910, according to José Carlos Meirelles, an official with Brazil's Indian-protection agency (FUNAI). It was Meirelles who released the photos on May 29 through the indigenous-rights advocacy group Survival International. Meirelles said he made the photos public to prove the group exists. Activist and former FUNAI president Sydney Possuelo agreed that—amid development and doubt over the existence of such tribes—it was necessary to publish them.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Again.....they are not unknown, they know there are other people and other people have known they exist, they don't want to be part of modern society. And honestly, looking at modern society, I can't blame them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join