It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vikings and the myth of the Horned Helm.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
First of all, let me start by stating that the term "Viking" literally translated means "raider".
The correct term is Norse or Norsemen.
Which means one of the North or Northmen.
Most Norse men and women never, may I repeat, never pillaged or raped or burned.
The people of the North were just as peace loving as you or I. Living out their lives much as modern peoples, except for one major difference.
It was a very hard life!
Work started before day light and ended long after dark. After toiling in the fields, chopping wood, tanning hides, hunting food, etc. during day light hours, most Norse people continued to work long after dark inside their homes and shops.
Doing thing such as sewing, weaving, leather work, carving wood, making candles, and many other chores which could be done after daylight had long faded.
It was not an easy life in an way.
However, the main reason I have written this blog is to help dispel the myth of the Viking horned helmet.
Never in any archeological dig, has there ever been found a horned helmet. The whole thing is a myth popularized by modern art.
There have been many digs, which included whole boats, horses, gold, silver, glass beads, leather goods, steel, fabrics and yes even sacrifices! But not in any dig the world over have archeologists found a single horned helmet, They do not exist. Not in the Norse culture.
The main use of horns in the Norse culture was for drinking vessels, battle horns and other various tools including needles, combs, ornaments and even knives!
The Norse peoples were some of the most intelligent, artistic and peaceful people the world has ever known.
But they never worn horned helmets!
Note; some of the earliest found steel tools and blades were created and used by the Norse peoples. It is not know whether they invented steel or learned of it by trade and travel.
The Norse peoples traveled extensively in the Orient and Middle East. Much evidence exists to corroborate this, from Norse burials in the steppes of China, to the Middle Eastern glass work and Golden Buddhas found in Norse graves.
So the next time you see a picture of a Norseman wearing a horned helm laugh it off and remember the real Norse peoples!

edit on 1-2-2011 by Wardwolf because: Typos again!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wardwolf

I always thought Vikings actually meant "VI Kings" or "6 Kings" (roman numerals). which referred to 6 kings in the Mediterranean/Eurasian area that were hell bent on world domination/exploration.?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Never heard that before. Since Vikings were from Northern Europe that wouldn't make much sense.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well I'm an historian (with focus or "specialization" as you want to put it, in european medieval) and let me just tell you that this is common sense... but let me add one thing. Dont forget ceremonial helmets from the "viking" iron age and dont forget the teutonic knights so characteristic helmets and now notice the very very small gap between them.

Its not completely proven that they DIDNT wear them... its just we never found one. But it wouldnt be that weird anyway... theres a lot of examples of "impractical military gear" through history

So if in part is (or could be) a misconception on the other hand is not "complete fantasy" either.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

"Viking" is a norse word for "lets open a can of woop ass on whoever we please"
Theres no vikings, there are "norsemen" that "go viking" when they want or have to. Its an "action" rather than a "group of people"

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Humm. Surely, must there have been a similar band of people called Vikings that raided andterrorized the eastern shores of the UK or was that some other group?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wardwolf
reply to post by Sly1one

Never heard that before. Since Vikings were from Northern Europe that wouldn't make much sense.
en.wikipedia.org...

Yes or "going on a expedition"... yes well "expedition" has a very VERY WIDE array of meanings when it comes to them

"Expedition" is nice tho..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Humm. Surely, must there have been a similar band of people called Vikings that raided andterrorized the eastern shores of the UK or was that some other group?

They were called "norse barbarian people" or "barbarians" or "germanic barbarians" whatever, they got their asses handed over they didnt actually found a word for them, they only knew that "ppl from the north screaming as madmen come and beat the living crap out of us for no apparent reason"... not "vikings". There is a "viking age" but its like "the viking age of Scandinavia" is like saying the "Age of discovery of portugal" or "the age of exploration of portugal"... its the time where something was done... in that case "the viking age" - the age when ppl up north well... "vikinged"
edit on 1-2-2011 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

You make a couple of good points. Too bad they're not on a helmet.
(joking of course) You are right there is a lot we don't know about because it has been lost to time or buried where we haven't dug yet. So yes there may be a Viking horned helm out there just waiting to be dug up. In truth there has been only one helm found in any Viking burial.
en.wikipedia.org...
Apparently the Viking didn't really wear helms much or maybe they worn wax hardened leather ones which would decay fairly rapidly?

Could you direct me to some images of the cerimonial helms please? I would love to see them and can't seem to find any images.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Wardwolf because: Bad link

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I am so disappointed.
I would have thought it was some thing to do with the horned god.
the God Cernunnos.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Well apparently there was some connection between the two cultures.
celticmythpodshow.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Indeed the Vikings did not wear horned helmets but the Chieftains did.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Would it then be safe to say, the horns of the chieftains were more or less decorations of their "crown"?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
"never in any archeological dig, has there ever been found a horned helmet. The whole thing is a myth popularized by modern art. "

Bull#. Horned helmets have been found in denmark, and in sweden on the island of gotland on runestones people with horned helmets are depicted.

top topics

join