It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing Us Softly With Copper...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Do you know anyone who wears a copper bracelet? Or takes supplements containing copper?
Maybe you should get them to read the following articles, I was quite shocked when I read this information:

[Copper is often cited as an essential mineral. Copper-containing preparations are frequently employed in multi-mineral and multi-vitamin supplements. However, in the present communication, we contend that the so-called 'biological need for copper' is a gratuitous and unfounded commonplace medical belief that is responsible (1) for the current lack of interest in researching the real biological effects of copper - which, in fact, are detrimental to health - and, likely, (2) for the slow and unwitting poisoning of people that consume such ill-advised supplements, placing them at risk for insidious neurological and sclerotizing diseases like Alzheimer's disease or atherosclerosis.]

www.aetherometry.com...

Full paper can be viewed here:
www.aetherometry.com...

It also raises the question about the use of other non-essential metals in jewellery and their safety.

All the best,

Dave

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Your quote is from the abstract for that journal.

However, in the present communication, we contend

Anyone can contend anything. I'm too lazy to install acrobat right now but I'll grab the pdf and give it a browse, but from some of the info on that site, less than credible IMO.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
copper has many uses.
Hospital uses; bandages, dermal wound products and gauze. It's used in bedding, gowns, uniforms, towels, catheters, gloves, curtains and masks.
Military uses; used by the military and police forces worldwide in their uniforms.
Cosmetic uses; copper is used in skin treatments and in make-up products.
Sportswear; used in underwear, socks, and other items which need protection against degradation by fungus and bacteria and thus reducing odor, stains, and deterioration which is caused by fungi and bacteria.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Your source is not reputable.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
That's a pretty damn weak source. Copper deficiencies lend to a host of health problems. The most notable of them is Cardiovascular Disease.

Dietary copper supplementation reduces atherosclerosis in the cholesterol-fed rabbit

These data suggest that copper supplements possibly inhibit the progression of atherogenesis.

Dietary copper supplements modulate aortic superoxide dismutase, nitric oxide and atherosclerosis.

These data suggest that in the cholesterol-fed rabbit, copper supplements inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis by increasing SOD expression, thereby reducing the interaction of NO with superoxide, and hence potentiating NO-mediated pathways that may protect against atherosclerosis.

Marginal copper deficiency and atherosclerosis

. Despite the difference in copper status between the copper marginal and severely deficient groups, similar lesions found in both groups of mice suggest a threshold effect of copper deficiency on lesion formation.

Dietary copper supplementation reverses hypertrophic cardiomyopathy induced by chronic pressure overload in mice

dietary Cu supplementation improves the condition of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy at least in part through CCS-mediated HIF-1alpha activation of VEGF expression and angiogenesis.

You've never heard about the possibility of copper deficiency largely because the Lipid Hypothesis was published and blindly accepted around the same time that Dr. Leslie M. Klevay was pushing his Copper Deficiency Theory.

In this copper restriction study, a mere 11 weeks of restriction led to 4 of 23 subjects having heart problems...and 1 heart attack.

edit on 1-2-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)
:

In the history of conducting numerous human studies at the Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center involving participation by 337 subjects, there had previously been no instances of any health problem related to heart function. During the 11 wk of the present study in which the copper density of the diets fed the subjects was reduced from the pretest level of 0.57 mg/ 1000 kcal to 0.36 mg/1000 kcal, 4 out of 23 subjects were diagnosed as having heart-related abnormalities.

edit on 1-2-2011 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I read this somewhere also. However, when I looked it up I found that the benefits far outweigh the risks in my opinion.

Copper deficiency can interfere with a lot of different body processes, including iron absorption. So it's important to get enough copper in your diet! People who are prone to copper deficiency include: premature or low birth weight infants, people with digestive issues (like celiac disease), people with cystic fibrosis, people on extremely restrictive diets.

Copper is under investigation as a potential treatment for a variety of diseases. Some studies have shown that copper intake may influence Alzheimer's risk. Traditionally, copper bracelets are thought to ease arthritis; researchers are looking at a form of copper (copper salicylate) to reduce arthritis symptoms. Copper intake or copper levels in the blood may influence cholesterol levels and/or coronary artery disease. Lab studies have shown that copper may help protect tooth enamel. And scientists know that copper plays a role in immune system function... they're just not sure exactly how a copper deficiency can impact your immune system

health.families.com...

How much?

The recommended daily requirement of dietary copper is 1-2 mg. for adults and 0.5-1 mg. for children (source: US Dept. Agriculture). Infants from birth to 6 months of age should ingest 0.4 to 0.6 mg/day of copper.

www.copperinfo.com...

My vitamins contain 2 mg.. I think harmful dosages are around 4 mg. Even if you took a vitamin plus lived on copper rich foods, I don't see how you could consume enough to get upto 4mg. I am an advocate for the investigation of metals and its effects on the human body. Unfortunately that doesn't seemed to be a priority for most researchers, and from these articles not much is known about its exact effects on the immune system. More research!!

edit on 1-2-2011 by Whitbit because: clarification

edit on 1-2-2011 by Whitbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by iamahumandoing

The source is bogus. The "The Journal of Aetherometric Research" is not peer reviewed, it's devoted to a science that isn't real (Aetherometry), and it's admittedly bias; "Its primary task is to convey results of ongoing original work at the Aurora Biophysics Research Institute."

Not to mention that the paper itself cites as its top two sources the author's own previous work (also not published in a peer-reviewed jounral), and speculation:

2. Wilhelm Reich thought this much. . .

They don't identify any new findings and don't support their claims with any peer-reviewed sources. (They cite peer-reviewed sources but those sources don't support their thesis.)

This is the all too familiar anti-mainstream-medicine pseudoscience that is so popular around ATS. It's baseless fearmongering. Copper at the levels found in foods, multivitamins, and jewlery is non-toxic.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
Your quote is from the abstract for that journal.

However, in the present communication, we contend

Anyone can contend anything. I'm too lazy to install acrobat right now but I'll grab the pdf and give it a browse, but from some of the info on that site, less than credible IMO.

Sorry it won't let me copy and paste directly from the .pdf otherwise I would've.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
My dad has been wearing a copper bracelet for 40 years or more.

He thinks it helps his arthritis. He's in his late 80s.

I don't think that it has harmed him.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
That's a pretty damn weak source. Copper deficiencies lend to a host of health problems. The most notable of them is Cardiovascular Disease.

I'm not saying the source is gospel it just worried me - and I don't even wear copper, nor do I know many people that do. I was just hoping someone on here would be able to either corroborate or debunk accordingly. Forgetting the reliability of the source, surely the accuracy of the information would be the most pertinent issue to address.

And to me it seems to make sense that as there doesn't seem to be a natural biological role for copper in the body, then surely it must be a poison.

And I'm not suggesting we all turn into bubble-boy, just that maybe if your nan is acting a bit daft since she got her copper bracelet for her arthirasky, maybe better to get her to just take it off rather than having her put in a home.
edit on 1/2/11 by iamahumandoing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I accept that lots of people use copper and are convinced of the health benefits. Placebo effect maybe? Possibly? I don't know.

We used lead pipes for drinking water for long enough. Could copper be the next lead?

Haha I'm starting to regret posting this thread....
I hope I've not offended anyone who uses copper etc. for their wellbeing, if it works for you then it works I suppose. I'm just throwing it out there that's all.

Peace guys.

Just a little afterthought...These guys might not be so unreliable after all - there are a couple of dedications on the site to connected scientists in their field of research who have been murdered, so it seems that maybe someone wants to keep them quiet. Its a bit like the Cetacean Nation Scientists - I can't find anything recent on those guys either.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Well, I'm not sure why you keep saying that. Copper is needed by enzymes in the body to facilitate chemical reactions. Some of the enzymes it facilitates are essential in the production of collagen. (FYI, it's also considered to possibly be anti-inflammatory)

It's Biochemistry!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Copper isn't always safe, my grandfather died of copper poisoning while I was still an infant from breathing in the stuff in the steel mills in Pittsburgh. He was probably exposed to a lot more than is normal and didn't catch on to what it was doing to him until it was too late.

Copper poisoning

Swallowing large amounts of copper may cause vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and yellow skin (jaundice). Touching large amounts of copper can result in hair discoloration (green).

Symptoms may include:

Anemia
Burning sensation
Chills
Convulsions
Diarrhea (often bloody and may be blue in color)
Fever
Liver failure
Metallic taste
Muscular aches
Nausea
No urine output
Pain
Shock
Vomiting
Weakness
Yellow eyes
Yellow skin

Outlook (Prognosis)

Sudden (acute) copper poisoning is rarely seen. However, serious long-term health problems, including liver failure and death, can occur with significant poisonings.

If toxicity is due to long-time accumulation, the ultimate outcome depends how much damage there is to body organs.

Med line plus

Anything taken in excess can be dangerous, even water is toxic if you dring way too much. When taking any supplement, one should be careful not to over do it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Well, I'm not sure why you keep saying that. Copper is needed by enzymes in the body to facilitate chemical reactions. Some of the enzymes it facilitates are essential in the production of collagen. (FYI, it's also considered to possibly be anti-inflammatory)

I honestly didn't know about that - haha looks like I will have to do a little (a lot) more research

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
dr hulda clark in " the cure for all cancers " says get copper the hail out of your life.....no copper pipes for water even.
she has a detector for finding bad metals in human bodies

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

it's devoted to a science that isn't real (Aetherometry)

Are you sure?

video.google.com...#

Looks pretty 'real' to me....

Devoted to a science that is under-funded and under-researched.....granted; but how can you state so matter-of-factly that it isn't REAL?
Sorry to say it but for me that is the pinnacle of ignorance.

Apologies if this has come across a little harsh.

Best regards,

Dave

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
dr hulda clark in " the cure for all cancers " says get copper the hail out of your life.....no copper pipes for water even.
she has a detector for finding bad metals in human bodies

Merci mille fois.

Thankyou x1000

Ha, I've seen some of her videos and read some of her work, I missed that bit though, back I go...

edit on 1/2/11 by iamahumandoing because: thought

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Whitbit

Thankyou for your insight, I agree more research is needed in this matter

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamahumandoing
reply to post by Whitbit

Thankyou for your insight, I agree more research is needed in this matter

Glad to help. Just remember to look into both sides while researching. Benefits vs Risks. There appear to be more benefits than risks-- But maybe that is because not enough people are looking into the risks. What is assumed to be safe is oftentimes left alone for decades. I find this to be extremely similar to aluminum, only aluminum hasnt been found to have a purpose in the human body yet. However, research is extremely lacking. You may check out Dr. Lenny Thyme. eqtvconnect.ning.com...

Check out my threads on Aluminum Research

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think We the People are pretty good at digging things up ourselves. If noone else will do it, well.. maybe I will (I say to research, FIND THE TRUTH!) I am about to set up a little experiment, purely out of curiosity and hopefully to help with my research, mind you.. I certainly don't have a lab... yet

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think the key word in this is balance. There are certain vitamins that may be good for you. But in large doses are very toxic. Copper is no different.

Do you know anyone who suffers from headaches, fatigue, insomnia, depression, skin rashes, spaciness or detachment, learning disorders or premenstrual syndrome? These can be symptoms of a copper imbalance. It is an extremely common nutritional imbalance. It is often overlooked, in part because it is not always simple to detect.

Copper Toxicity Syndrome

top topics

<<   2 >>

join