It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt President Mubarak to address nation Tuesday: reports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Egypt President Mubarak to address nation Tuesday: reports

www.rawstory.com

Over 2 million people took to the streets of Cairo Tuesday, with yet more in Suez and Alexandria, unified behind a call for the president's resignation.

Arabic news agency Al Arabiya said Tuesday that the president would announce his intent to resign, but the report was unconfirmed and the channel did not provide a source.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Not going to jump the gun here, as preliminary reports are unsubstantiated, but I wonder IF dictator Mubarak is finally going to concede the Egyptian populace will not 'accept' him as their ruler anymore? A possible resignation?

And if so, who will be his replacement in all of this? Hopefully someone who will have the Egyptians best interests in mind, and not another foreign-interest 'installed' regime...

Interesting times we are living in...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
He is out...apologies for the one line. he is out..do what needs to be done according to your brokers.

A gesture to ats.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
That' really encouraging! Let's hope he resigns. Now I wonder how the announcement would play out, considering there are so many conflicting factions among the protesters...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Another article mentioning Mubarak's departure, though this one says he wants to wait til September...

Mubarak to step down in September, report says

Cairo: US President Obama has told the embattled president of Egypt Hosni Mubarak that he should pledge publicly not to run for another term this fall, says a report.
President Hosni Mubarak will say in a speech that he will step down at the next election but would stay in office till then to meet demands of protesters in that period, Al Arabiya TV said on Tuesday.
It sourced the news to unnamed reports.

September sounds like quite a stretch..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

LOL, especially with 2 million Egyptians marching and pissed off.

I just hope they don't get shafted yet again with whoever takes his place. Hopefully they will remain steadfast and make sure they are not ruled over by another dictatorship with totally vested interests.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I care not about flags and stars and what ever this and however the rewards its contributions are approved,

Please take the time

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Just watching this live on AlJazeeraLive on Youtube

Good updates and coverage. 1 million + gathered in Tahmir square waiting for an announcement.

Good luck Egyptians. Keep safe and let's hope you enjoy the future you deserve after all the corruption and oppression.

Let others follow and take back control of what has been stolen by these parasitic meglomaniacs.

Egypt = population 77 million. On the streets protesting NOW...probably about 10%+ in various cities around the country.

Let's see a minimum of that same percentage for other oppressed countries eh?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

May i ask as to your interpretation as to the unfolding events ?
edit on 1-2-2011 by tristar because: as

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'v had AlJazeera on TV most of the day... interesting how those in the Square feel that Mubarak is going to resign but it seems he is just coming on TV to give a solution.. but one I think will utterly disappoint the protesters.

I guess we will see soon enough, it seems from the live TV coverage that a number of TVs have been set up around the square so that they can hear Mubaraks speech..

Going to be interesting to see what is said and how the protesters respond.

My personal take is nothing short of a complete change will be accepted by the protesters.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Mubarak is making his speech now..

So far it does not sound very good... or like Mubarak is backing down at all.
edit on 1/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

It does sound like he is not backing down and is blaming political forces for the protests..

While it seems to me he is being a slippery so and so whether he runs again.
(not clear in my mind he is not running)

Lots of hot air focusing on mayhem and anarchy... response from the Square very negative...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You mean to tell me CNN can't find a MALE translator that can actually understand what he is saying!?

Jeez this lady is putting me to sleep.

Media tactics presenting him as a non aggressive boring guy...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Hosni Mubarak is stepping down in a transitional fashion...He will be supervising the transition until September when he will leave office for the first time in 30 years.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 1-2-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Hosni Mubarak is stepping down in a transitional fashion...He will be supervising the transition until September when he will leave office for the first time in 30 years.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Now I didn't hear it like that... I heard he would stand down if things where stable... which sounded like a caveat to me.. and it did not bode well that he made a statement like.. I will die on the soil of Egypt I defend.

Still all in the interpretation... and the reaction from the ground in the square is not so good..

ETA: AlJazeera reporting from Alex seems equally negative

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Consider these people have to change the constitution and put in term limits. They have to form political parties, they have to essentially retool the entire political system before any meaningful transition can be made.

Cynicism will likely be prevalent, but I think Mubarak is sincere in that he does not want to be a victim to the "off with their heads" crowd.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
change is leadership has been approved and agreed.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I think these will be interesting times for the inevitable change in the Egyptian government (3 or so months time) and the country as a whole, also the role that the army and to some extent the police will have in it.

I am also trying hard to understand the imput that the U.S. government have had, are having and will have in this.

Reporting between the state news and other sources are very opposing with state news trying apparently to start rumours to start opposition against protesters and protesting. Old tactics, but maybe shutting down the internet and mobile phone systems has a knock on effect with the limited ability to monitor public opinion. Also, with so many people on the streets, not as many as normal are happy to sit at home and take in the spoonfed media.

-----------------------

Announcement by Pres Mumbarak has just been made.....

Much blame put on everyone but himself, particularly for the violence and destruction over the last few days.

He will not step down, the one condition set by the people but says he will continue in office to make reforms and changes to satisfy the needs of the people.

I am not convinced he knows, would admit or even has the ability to understand what the people really want.

People are defiant, they are energetic and thay know what they want. They want him out NOW.

I feel the night is just beginning in Egypt and the following days in cities across the country will see more scenes of confrontation. This time I feel there will be more anger in the people.

Be safe.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Consider these people have to change the constitution and put in term limits. They have to form political parties, they have to essentially retool the entire political system before any meaningful transition can be made.

Cynicism will likely be prevalent, but I think Mubarak is sincere in that he does not want to be a victim to the "off with their heads" crowd.

From what I understand they want to whole system gone... top to bottom... perhaps like Americans did in 1776? (my guestimation as to how *I* am reading this) I know that is a massive task... but... will of the people and all that.. it'll create a scary vacuum that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I just wanted to add that I have spent some time in Egypt, (visiting and working) and from the brutality I have seen I am not surprised they want they system gone wholesale. The protesters have started down a path I am not sure they are able to get off.. I am sure the feeling on the street is something akin to now or never..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I hope they want their own 1776 and they get a truly free nation...

But this is the ME, and freedom is not in the best interests of many groups there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join