It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mubarak will not run again: Arabiya TV citing reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Mubarak will not run again: Arabiya TV citing reports

www.reuters.com

President Hosni Mubarak will say in a speech that he will step down at the next election but would stay in office till then to meet demands of protesters in that period, Al Arabiya TV said on Tuesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Mubarak is expected to give a speech shortly, in which he will state that he will not seek reelection. However, that would leave him in office until September.

I wonder if that will be enough to stop the protests? Personally, I doubt it. The seem very focused on getting him out now, before they leave the streets.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

More updates as available
edit on 1-2-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
By announcing that he will not seek re-election means nothing, more then likely lip service to hopefully stop the protest, he should go now.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
That will hardly appease the Egyptians in my opinion since they have no faith that elections will even take place. So while he may say he won't seek reelection, it won't do much good if there is no election. I don't think this is going to end until he resigns -- and flees!!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
By announcing that he will not seek re-election means nothing, more then likely lip service to hopefully stop the protest, he should go now.

I agree.

Cnn is reporting that he will not run and that he will dissolve parliament. His speech is expected within an hour and CNN also is reporting that Obama told him through an envoy that he should not run.\

I do not think this will be enough, and I sincerely hope that things don't turn for the worse following the announcement.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Reality has not hit that man yet. But, if he does not get it soon I am sure it will be forced upon him. They want him gone, from what I can tell, there is no room for negotiating. If he is allowed to stay in office, then between now and then is plenty of time for him to "punish" the citizens and manipulate things so that he could remain in power after September. I believe these people will see right through anything he has to say to them.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Reality has not hit that man yet. But, if he does not get it soon I am sure it will be forced upon him.

Yes, I agree. I wonder what will happen when it is released. If the people storm his residence I don't think the military will have any choice but to take action.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hes got a choice so far as I see it. He either leaves in peace at this time, and allows a smooth and calm approach to the election of a new leader and parliament, or he insists on his staying for just a bit longer, and gets dragged out of his office and torn appart in the street, which will cause all sorts of nasty crap to kick off in the aftermath.
Now I personaly think the best that he can hope for, is that when he leaves office, the people will just let him go. He is very lucky that the people arent calling for the immediate removal of his head or waving plaques saying " Im going to kick your ribs till your chest implodes" or something. In my opinion he would do well to cut and run while the people outside are still considering leaving his legs attatched to the rest of him !
Another thing is this. If he stays, and causes an actual civil war to occur for the sake of pride, then a) Mubarak will be considered one of the most egotistical and ignorant twits ever to attain office and b) uncountable numbers of people will be hurt by it, and its long term effects. The last thing any nation needs is a reason to trust its government LESS than they already do ! Most folk on this planet are of reasonable intelligence, and know BS when it wafts up thier noses, but any person prepared to destroy the confidence in politics of a generation isnt just pure BS, they are evil. People need to be able to trust the democratic system for it to work effectively . If people dont trust it, they dont take part, and then when thier thoughts arent heard , when thier opinions not reflected in the words and deeds of government, they seperate themselves even further from the government. Down this path , over time, lies civil war, terrorism running rife, a totalitarian control government with no ears with which to listen, and no mouth with which to communicate with its people. Just a gun to keep thier heads down, and a panel van to take dissenters away in.
For a government to operate a democracy properly it needs to bring all players and all thinkers into its reach, to tap the resources of the minds of all its citizens for the best way to perform its duty, and in some cases hear the thoughts of the nation on what that duty even IS ! It needs to speak to its people plainly and honestly about its options, and its reasoning, and accept that occasionaly it may have to bow to public demand, rather than pleasing its foriegn neighbors and allies first.
I hope that in time Egypt becomes one of the most solid democracies in the world. In my veiw everyone who wants democracy deserves it, but Egypt , and for that matter, Tunisia have shown how much they desperately want it, and are prepared to stand in the street against tyrany to make it happen. I have SO much respect for the people out there in the streets right now it makes me weep.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The word in the street live on CNN from Egypt is him saying he will not run again is not exceptable, they want him out now, they do not trust him.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

It wont be the Military that fire on the protesters , should they storm the residence of the President. It will be the presidents police derived close protection force. They arent technicaly soldiers, they are policemen, and in Egypt thats as good as saying " The hardest, meanest , ugliest, most violent sadistic pieces of crap ever to walk the Earth". The Military have already said that they dont wish to become involved in a violent resolution to the protest, and will refuse to fire on any protestors or political activists unless there is likely to be destruction of Public property . Obviously allowing the ruling party head quaters to burn was a must ( I love Egyptians even more since I heard that, I mean here in Britain, our protesters just smashed up the Millbank tower , Conservative HQ during the student riots, but Egyptians make bonfires out of offensive buildings ... love it) and was a rally point for the entire protest movement, but I dont think the Military are going to stand for a general rampage on the residence of the president, but they wont FIRE on protestors, they have made that abundantly clear in thier general support for the demonstrations .

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing the link. I really hope that this whole deal gets resolved. The man needs to get out of office ASAP that is for certain. I definitely don't think him staying in office for another 7 months is going to cut it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So as expected, he said he will remain until September and after that he will not run, although he says he was not planning on running anyway

He also said the opposition, whoever that may include, has not taken up his offer to meet with him but the offer remains.

Parts of it he almost sounded humbled, at the beginning. As he carried on, I thought he sounded more pompous, reminding people of his resume and that he has done nothing but serve them and the interests of Egypt. He also says that he will die in Egypt, which means he has no intent to flee.

The reaction was very vocal, but it seems to me that they are overall supportive of this option.

You can watch it for yourself here cnn.com
edit on 1-2-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Perhaps, my understanding was incorrect. Cnn is reporting that the crowd is chanting, "we are not leaving tomorrow We are not leaving Thursday We are not leaving" so............. more wait and see

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
CNN has said the protesters plan to surround the Presidential Palace and that they take that speech as if he did not say anything, since it meant nothing.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Im telling you, hes either leaving by his own power, or hes going piece by piece (sick grin for the slayer fans) because these protestors have come too far to fail now. I really hope they get what they want from this .

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
While it is beyond obvious that the prostesting population in Egypt are keen to see Mubarak go "immediately", it is equally--seen perhaps through cynical goggles--obvious that he is being urged by the US and Israel to retain power until the next elections. This would allow ample time for those governments to groom and arrange for a replacement leader who will provide a facade of "democratic" reform, while holding fast to the current trend of boxing in Iran and carrying out the "stabilising" influence Egypt proportedly does in the region.
This revolution of sorts caught the US and Israel with its pants down, and they require sufficient time to dress up and ready their next yes-man now that there is no stopping the people power rallying in the streets.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Milleresque because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Milleresque

The protestors will attain thier desired conditions before anyone can make a new puppet, Im most sure of that. They have made that clear. There will be protest, and the people will not return to thier jobs, and thier homes until such time as the president has been removed from office either by his own means or by someone elses.
If it comes to it, I imagine the Military will kick him out if he refuses to leave, and the people arent going to move. The military and the people have a very close and special bond in Egypt, different to the bond between other nations and thier armies. Its almost a spiritual level of respect and appreciation .
I think largely speaking thats because the Egyptian military have a better attitude to thier own people than other regiemes in the region do, and because having a military supported government has in general, worked out very well for the people wierdly. Thats mostly because when the president hasnt been behaving, they either tell him to leave , or put a cap in his butt for good measure.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

yes, I agree I think he will be out far more quickly than he realizes

I agree that they have come too far. Even though this enter situation has been played perfectly by the protesters, almost, however I am worried that by not speaking with him they will be perceived as uncooperative.

However, I heard a woman earlier who said that Mubarak is a terrorist, and we all now that the west doesn't negotiate with terrorists
so perhaps there is a chance.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

I suppose you could say that in refusing to deal with Mubarak the people could be considered to be uncooperative. On the other hand, you could say that a president who has been in power for more than thirty years, and has stayed there largely by rigging and deception, isnt someone that decent people should be associating with.
The wider picture seems to suggest that cooperative or not, there are more protesters than Mubarak can have an argument with, because by wieght of voice alone, he will be defeated. The position he finds himself in is untenable, but the position of the people is quite strong. They have made thier intent and thier desires clear. They want him and his family out of politics for ever, and a new democraticaly elected leader, with a new cabinet. Mubarak however has no intent beyond grasping at the bauble of his power, as it seeps through his fingers after all this time. He has no other reason to remain.

top topics

join