Books that will save you, or your families lives.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
I suggest the "Foxfire" series. Use the ATS search and find quite a few threads.
I think having the knowledge in print is super important. If you are the only person in your family with survival skills nobody survives if you are out of action.

I too thought the 'Foxfire' series was all about the how-to if it was 1850 again, so to speak. I like do-it-yourself so I got one of the series off eBay. The volume I got was mostly folksy stories from old-timers that lived in the Appalachians (if I recall correctly). Good reading but way off the mark for what I sought.

If per chance you have the entire series and a few minutes to spare, would you please let us know which specific volume(s) are more hands-on self sustaining / rural living how-to? I thank you.

OP, there some interesting PDF's under the Survival Forum listing on ATS but I found it was hinky trying to Bookmark the URL's of same, but the subject matter is topical and the price is right.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

True common sense will keep you alive for a while. But will common sense teach you how to make your water drinkable, or raise crops. Some stuff you have to learn: from someone, on line or through books. The whole point of this thread was so that people could come together with a group of books, that others may read to give them the knowledge they might need to survive should something bad happen. Plus unlike a computer, tv, or other electrical items they can still be read from without power, or electricity. Having only book knowledge, with no common sense though will make you dead or a slave real quick though.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has listed a religious text as an essential book.

Here are some of the essential books people have overlooked for survival:
1. any books by Hancock
2. any books by Calleman
3. any books by Lungold
4. any books by Arguelles
5. any books by Barrios

All of these books and more can save your life when yo apply a match to them to keep warm or cook your meals.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I was really hoping to use my sisters collection of Romance novels for the fire wood starter in a case like that.

I don't see anything wrong with a religous book being in your list. Whether its the Bible, Koran, Tora, etc. If it brings you comfort, etc. Then it is essential. I just hope that doesn't mean that we've reached a time where no one has one, and a lone blind man is traveling coast to coast to deliever it.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

I certainly think a religious book might be on many people's list, which is why I was surprised to be the one to bring up the issue.

Cheers on the romance novel as fuel concept. Harlequin just might be the fuel of the future.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

So we added a religious book, depending upon what religion you are. Then there are there are various books, or pamplets that describe what you should have on you in case of an emergency.

Here are some others I've found:

98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your A$$ Alive by Cody Ludlin. Who is the director of the Aboriginal Living Skills School. He shares his knowledge, stressing about keeping your core temperature where it should be.

Survive! by Les Stroud the creator of the former tv show, "Survivorman".

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Three great books that would help communities get back on their feet after a major disaster are Country Wisdom and Know-How by Storey Books, Back to Basics by Readers Digest, and Storey's Basic Country Skills. There are alot of great books on how to survive , but you also need books on how to actually Live! These have from how to make soap, to building a root cellar.

Another very useful book would be a road atlas. You never know, you might be at the wrong place at the wrong time!
Thanks for all of the other great books.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bloodnoir

Nice. How to make soap, and other things that seem so ordinary but absolutely essential totally slipped my mind. Thanks.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

Another good book to have onhand in the case of a disaster, "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery. Yes, it is all about teaching you how to live on less, on the land and how to do it. It isn't just a "disaster could come, be prepared" book. If we all know how to do it, it will be easier.
The Foxfire books are good too, but not nearly as precise as the Carla Emery book is, as Carla added precise information on how to bake bread, make soap, raise chickens, etc. I do own the Foxfire books, they are good informaion too, I just prefer the Encyclopedia for more precise and just more info. JMHO tho.
I believe if we are to be prepared for a disaster, then... we all need to start now, learning how to do stuff, learning to take care of ourselves and our loved ones, not wait until something big happens and then start.
We all need to be living like we may not have a Tomorrow coming to us. We all need to stop listening to those who say "this is not going to happen" for I truely do believe it will it is just a matter of time before it does. So... be prepared!!! Start now to learn all those neede skills to survive out here in the new frontier.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WVBonBonQueen

Nice one, living off the land is the key to suvival. I'm not saying to sell all your stuff and buy a compound deep in the woods, but to just be prepared.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join