It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite image of the snow storm

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

yes you could get some lightening and thunder and heavy periods of snow fall.

Here in missouri we took the brunt of this storm. It started sleeting around 1 am, turned to snow around 2 am and its been snowing every since. we're getting close to 2 feet of snow on the ground with snow drifts upto 5 feet. winds gusting to 40+ mph

Every road is impassible unless you have 4 wheel drive, and even then you won't make it far because of the snow drifts. Semi trucks are jack knifed on the interstate so the interstate is now closed. the national guard has been deployed to help dig out stuck drivers on the interstate.

The snow plows have been out plowing. and within 5 minutes you can't even tell they have plowed the roads. we are getting snowfall rates of 1-3 inches per hour. the only good part of this storm so far is we got less ice then they thought we would. and instead of being that heavy wet packing snow, its a wet powder type of snow. Oh and the power is still on.

it was 20 degrees when it started snowing early this morning. its down around 15 degrees right now, and its suppose to continue to drop to -10 by thursday morning here.

They have been saying on the news that this is a historic storm. and for once i agree with the weather guys. I've never seen it this bad here in 30+ years of living here

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by C-JEAN

Don't you FEEL that the first photo seems **photoshoped** ????

Here is a real pilot's "weather reporting site" view:

www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca...

Blue skies.

I doubt it's photoshopped. I think some people may be mistaking large areas on the ground that are covered in snow for clouds, such as the area in the northwest of the image.
edit on 1-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Thanks for sharing your situation with us!

yes you could get some lightening and thunder and heavy periods of snow fall.

Seems so strange to me; I will have my eyes peeled watching this one, for sure!
I don't know how I could see any of the lightening through this *white-out* though...

Here in missouri we took the brunt of this storm. It started sleeting around 1 am, turned to snow around 2 am and its been snowing every since. we're getting close to 2 feet of snow on the ground with snow drifts upto 5 feet. winds gusting to 40+ mph

We got a "teaser" snow of about ~3 inches last night; then about 1 pm today, the winds picked up, and we've had about 4 inches of just "regular" snow here, but with definite blizzard conditions--NW Indiana, but still "chi-corrupt-town"
--this is only the beginning; so we are told.

Every road is impassible unless you have 4 wheel drive, and even then you won't make it far because of the snow drifts. Semi trucks are jack knifed on the interstate so the interstate is now closed. the national guard has been deployed to help dig out stuck drivers on the interstate.

Haven't seen National Guard here yet, but I was only out for a couple of hours. Did see 3 DHS vans/trucks, though, which I found strange...but probably just a coincidence.

Oh and the power is still on.

Great news on that!
And internet to boot! Wondering if will lose power/wireless here as I am stuck in a suite hotel for the time being....

They have been saying on the news that this is a historic storm. and for once i agree with the weather guys. I've never seen it this bad here in 30+ years of living here

This is all foreign to me although I grew up in the SE, and family claims that I did face a blizzard....I do remember having a great time in the snow is all...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

The lightning will probably be very easy to see even through blizzard conditions.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

the lightening was easy to see here even with the whiteout conditions and you couldn't miss the the thunder.

oh and to add to the situation here. the city i live in earlier today declared a state of emergency for the first time ever!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

We had "thundersnow" here in NYC last week. It just snows normally, but the sky lights up with lightning every now and then. Nothing that spectacular.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
We are undergoing blizzard conditions, trying to get some local updates right now on Ham Radio, reception not that great. Its getting really bad out there - I see some of the rest of you are also experiencing the blizzard. I really don't like hearing ice hit the windows,

Are we experiencing the "Storm of The Century" - some think so.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b2f46ec7be7.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is nuts! I live in laredo tx. And the weather here has been really nice upper 70's yet within a few hrs its dropped about 20 degrees and should hit the 20's by 4 am. This weather is nuts! Is this the largest snow storm to date?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
We are here in Ohio on the lake and its bad...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm in Michigan and we are just about to get the worst of it here within the next few hours. 12 inches plus is supposed to fall.

Thanks for the satellite picture. Very cool indeed.

And to think there is a gigantic cat 5 hurricane on the other side of the earth at the same time is crazy.
edit on 1-2-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Nice thread, goes well with mine posted yesterday....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Blessings to those of you who are about to brave the storm. Take care out there friends.    

Possibly the largest snowstorm in US history is the Blizzard of 1888, also known as the "Great While Hurricane". NOAA calls it, "the blizzard by which all others are measured". Between March 11 and March 14, up to 50 inches of snow fell on the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine. Drifts up to 40 feet high buried houses and trains. Boston, New York, Philadelphia and other major cities were virtually shut down. In many places coal deliveries stopped and people were unable to heat their homes. At least 400 hundred people died. 
New Britain, Connecticut, March 13, 1888. 

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
No classes tomorrow because of the storm, Yippee!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Avalanche!!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

by the way Sonj, nice Old School bars.(!)

Today was like...
I'm about 30 mi. on a bee line west of the Sears Tower in Chicago, and
was out of work at 2 this afternoon. Just lucky, a CNC machine I'm
training on decided to become childish and disobedient.
I got a "lucky" head start....
Waiting for a bus at 14:35, I was outside a total of twenty minutes in what
felt like a sustained 25 knots, and in a snow density that coated the back
of my pants a centimeter thick in fifteen minutes! And it's "coming??"

Doesn't sound like much, but consider it the same as a 75% whiteout
at 14:00. It's 11:30 pm now, and I'm looking at a sodium streetlight
outside my back room window 40 meters away that looks like a near
dead penlight in a real expensive sandblaster.
I saw a set of isobars (barometric pressure lines showing wind patterns
too) in that Perfect Storm movie that took out the Andrea Gail, Capn
Billy, and all hands.
Then somebody shows me the same setup transplated about 1500
miles west, and I think: could THIS monster be man-made too?? No way.

The best part has been two distinct peals of thunder between 8 and 9pm;
I haven't heard that in Illinois since 1999. My UPS is getting more miles
than Pop Teutel's punching dummy on a Monday (Orange County
Choppers show, separate issue), and for once the weatherman was right.
We're getting nailed with the most snow/hr. I've seen since I was a kid!

THEN was like:
Ten years before, we had a late winter wet snow that hit big and fast, up
in Mc Henry county (almost Wisconsin). It was first thing in the morning,
and I was booting up an old PS/2 we snagged for data collection at my
factory. I was the IT gopher, and sat there watching the stuff come up--
when some muffled yelling outside the office told me the parking lot was
up for grabs some twenty meters away.
My forearms also felt strangely drawn to the metal rim around the cheap
banquet table the PS rig was on. They wanted to be INSIDE the table.
The reason was clear later, when I heard from the fellow running the
Payloader in the parking lot clearing out the near-slush was sitting up,
nicely insulated with the big tires, from like a meter-diameter ball of
St. Elmo's Fire bouncing off the cars and beating up on half the
Maintenance staff like a fifty meter long pinball machine!
I was INSIDE, and got enough DC corona through the rim of a
DETACHED table to burn the bottoms of my forearms like I
briefly shorted out a fresh car battery. Oh yeah, the PS/2 strangely
refused to ever function again. Wonder why; the electric fireball
almost toasted my goats-- and IT was the antenna of love.
It's also likely why I act like this... it's no act. Peace and capacitance.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
What seen on that satellite image is clouds coverage and thickness. Precipitation is usually under the thicker clouds. Here is the radar where the actually snow and rain is falling
www.accuweather.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Northern Illinois, near the Iowa border. Haven't been able to see out the windows of the house for a few hours now. We can still hear the wind blowing pretty hard. Judging by the light coming from the streetlight outside, it's still snowing pretty hard and we've already got at least a foot on the ground.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is nothing compared to our Cyclone Yasi

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
OK, Detroit and just Southeastern Michigan/Ohio checking in. Snow done, roads clear, mostly to partly sunny the next 2 days and in the 20's. Stores and gas stations all open, business as usual.

I had to shovel just in front of my car where the snow plows threw about 10 inches. Took me about 5 minutes. Trip to work took same time as usual...about 15 minutes.

Only issue I see is folks have to shovel anywhere from ankle to 1/2 up the calf-deep.

It wasnt 'bad"-bad...and certainly wasnt a "blizzard"..and being with Emergency Management & Rescue/FEMA, I was on "alert' for the shelters and never called, shelters didnt open.

So there the reality of that gigantic and widely erroneous picture above. It was an out and out false-photo. When in doubt ATS'ers...ask someone here for the real deal. You'll always get it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join