It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite image of the snow storm

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here's a satellite image of the snowstorm currently hitting the majority of the U.S.

The image was captured by the GOES-13 satellite, operated by NOAA. They say that this "massive winter storm affecting a large portion of great plains and midwest" is just getting worse:

It's truly massive, I didn't really comprehend the size of it until I saw this image.

gizmodo.com...
edit on 1-2-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

Edit: Put in the right pic

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Is that a chemtrail in the lower left hand corner? If it is, that would be several hundred miles long.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Wow, the image definitely puts a perspective on how large it is - almost the entire US. We are in for 18-24 inches of snow, blizzard winds with high drifts, sleet tonight. We received about 6 inches last night so that would make a total of about 30 inches at worse. I feel for those that are going to get the ice - that's the worse - whent thru that in Ky in 2007 (I think it was). No electric at my home for a week and none for 3 weeks at my business.

Everyone in the wake of the storm - get supplies, stay home and ride it out. Nothing is worth going out on slick roadways. Stay safe!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

flag,,,,,, for making me call my mom---

star,,,,,, because she was happy i called...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Is that a chemtrail in the lower left hand corner? If it is, that would be several hundred miles long.

You are joking.

The malls won't be closing. They're too greedy. Dangit.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

No that is a seam in the satellite imagery. I should also like to point out that everywhere there are clouds in this picture there is not a snow storm. In the southeast we're at 50F and drizzly.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

flag,,,,,, for making me call my mom---

star,,,,,, because she was happy i called...

to me this maybe the post of the year

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
In Michigan we see nothing of the sort...on the weather in motion map of Doppler 2100 mile radar there is only a 5 state area with sunshine out West to follow tomorrow. Oh, its gonna hit, but doppler radar as of 13:00:00pm shows only a 1/4 of the states swatch of heavy snow coming...followed by clear skies in 36 hours...and nothing behind that...so what gives?
Doppler radar for the full 2100 mile N.E. areas show nothing of the wide berth of white. Nothing.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I don't think this is an accurate image...I live in North Dakota, it is cold but sunny and we are not supposed to get any of this storm yet on the image the WHOLE state is covered...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That image is a bit misleading, as most of the southeastern US is experiencing rain, not snow. Still, it's a massive and impressive storm.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ashleys27

My thoughts, i'm in va, clear skies here.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
does anyone know the km/h winds will reach?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The storm started here about half an hour ago, just suddenly hit hard and fast

reply to post by LipanConjuring86

I'd estimate it at about 20 mph here in northern Illinois at the moment.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Southern Ontario here, There has been absolutely no snowfall in the last 24 hours. Sky is clear and temperatures are mild with a slight wind. I find it rather odd that im hearing from people all over the place that they haven't received any of this "apocalyptic" snow.

Its funny, cause 2 feet of snow here is no big deal, even if it was 4 feet. Our plows would still run, people would still go to work and the mail would still be delivered. 3 Years ago we got a snow storm for 4 days that buried my front door completely, i had to go out a window and dig out the door. Ya it was a looooot of snow but people were outside walking their dogs and shoveling out the driveways.

Relax everyone.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Hi warbird03, thanks for posting the image...

I am in NW Indiana, and well, needless to say, the conditions are rapidly deteriorating here...
My better half might not make it home tonite.

I checked out the blizzard warning, and this was included:

* THUNDERSTORMS...ISOLATED SNOW-PRODUCING THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TONIGHT...RESULTING IN LOCALIZED INTENSE SNOWFALL RATES. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR SNOWFALL RATES TO EXCEED 4 INCHES PER HOUR IN THUNDER SNOW MAKING TRAVEL NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE.

www.accuweather.com...

I only moved to this area in December 2010 (< 2 months ago), so can someone comment on whether thunderstorms are an anomaly during these hecka frigid conditions or not? PLEASE ?

Lived in the SE US, overseas, and Oregon/California, but I have never heard of lightning during a winter storm. Will this create additional hazards? WTH?

Thanks

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

It doesn't happen often, but it's not unheard of. Thundersnow is quite a spectacle if you get to witness it yourself

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

intense!!!!!!!!

second.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

K, I've googled this, and have come up with meterological babble/jargon...

WTH happens with a snow thunderstorm, I am curious? And what in the heck should I be looking for besides excess amounts of snow in a short time period? Can I expect lightning?

I beg and beseech someone to describe any personal accounts, first hand, as detailed as possible with all the risks...Please!!!

Or alternately without the jargon?

edit on 1-2-2011 by sonjah1 because: adds

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Don't you FEEL that the first photo seems **photoshoped** ????

Here is a real pilot's "weather reporting site" view:

www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca...

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
god forbid the east coast gets a little bit of snow lol...I live in montana and this kind of weather is common for most winters and even our summers can turn pretty cold out of nowhere...I don't see why people make such a big deal out of it...it's just snow, just layer up, buckle up, and drive slower...i personally enjoy it because snow+sleds+an inner tube+4x4 vehicle=all the fun you could ever need on a cold day

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join