It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cough heard around the world....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I've been fighting this for about two years now. All the antibiotics did was give me a yeast infection.

Have been living on chicken broth,garlic,onions, honey,teas, cough drops, mucinex. Have also switched from milk to almond milk to cut down the mucus. Mentholatum, peppermint lotion, and lavender oil are essential as you apply them to your throat during a dry cough attack and it calms down almost instantly. (Not all three at once, mind you. Use the lavender oil at night to help you sleep)
I do plan on giving the ginger humdifier thing a try. Oh and I get plenty exposure to sunlight. Have avoided echinachea though since the risk of the recent swine/bird flu pandemic was to those with a strong immune system.
Just my two cents.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

dragonsmusic, on the subject of herbal remedies and with the most respect possible to anyone that finds this subject offensive, have you ever come across any information on the plant cannabis sativa? My own research along with research from various universities indicate it is very helpful to the immune system and may help the OP in a matter like this depending on the location they are located and/or ability to get.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
If you have a runny nose and it's running down the back of your throat when lying down - this is the cause of your cough and you need a nasal spray for retinytis.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Living in the other part pf the world with ever changing climates (Souteast Asia), I too had been a victim of that cough. Took different colds and cough medicine which worked in the beginning but after a week it simply returned.

The only way I was able to rid of it is by drinking 3000 mg of Vitamin C...yup...3000 mg of Ascorbic Acid and lots of water for about a week..now am back to normal and just drinking 1000 mg a day...

try it...it might work for you cause it did for me..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
OK this is in my field of knowledge and this DOES work - Get yourself a bottle (or two) of "Colloidal Silver". Also, grab a nebuliser with a mask and place the colloidal silver into the nebuliser bulb and inhale with the mask repeatedly. Repeat as often as necessary. You should drink the colloidal silver (20mls twice a day) also - but be sure before swallowing it to hold it in your mouth for as long as you can before swallowing (it absorbs well under the tongue). Drink plenty of water, go on walks for fitness and eat LOTS of leafy green vegetables. Also another thing you should do is overload yourself with a WHOLE LOT of fresh garlic.

Give it a go...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
My dad has it, and me and my mom are getting it.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
I had this over xmas (it does go away).

I know what you mean though. Its neither a normal cold or a flu and the symptoms do vary quite quickly. I've never had symptoms bounce around like that. Sore throat, sweats, running nose, sore throat again, productive cough and then eventually settling into a wheezing unproductive cough that can make it hard to breathe, the last stage persists.

I went to the doctor eventually and he said 'its a virus' , 'go away and come back in a week'. I was furious about not getting anything prescribed but i went away. It did clear up of its own accord.

I know 2 other people with the same thing (one still has it). The persistence of the wheezing stage seems to vary by individual.

A bloody nuisance.

It's swine flu you had.

I had it before Xmas too.

A lot of people are missing the symptoms or confusing it with a cold because they don't equate the cough with flu, since flu symptoms don't normally come with a chesty cough. With swine flu they do, because swine flu gets deep into the lungs, unlike other flu. This is the crucial difference with swine flu compared to all other flu types.

Your doctor was wrong and right. He could have prescribed you a course of antibiotics but I doubt that would have tackled the problem given your immune system would have done just as good a job in the same amount of time.

I commented on swine flu in another article thread and was completely ignored. They were discussing about remedies and vitamins to take to prevent themselves catching flu. I mentioned that swine flu might actually be a bug you want to catch since they recently discovered it supercharges your immune system against future flus and pandemics such as bird flu and something as dangerous as Spanish flu. This went right over their heads.

Nature is a very complex system and sometimes catching and suffering from a flu virus will protect you with antibodies in your immune system resistent to nastier viruses decades later.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Personally I don't believe it's a cold/flu issue.

With the change in the weather patterns, I believe the problem is "fungus/mold gone wild".

Normally local weather conditions would be enough to allow a fungus/mold to live symbiotically in the wild. But now, the natural inhibitors are not doing their jobs and the organisms are starting to multiply and overcome our immune systems.

Just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Me and my gf since mid Dec, my kids since early Jan their mom a few days later most of my mates've got it too to varying degrees, work and school schedules've gone out of the window even my sworn by vit d3 and fish oil hasn't worked, whiskey sorted the sore throat out in one day for me though. I blame Bush the bassfisher!!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
I too have been suffering with this. Started in my head, fell to my chest and throat (throat gurlgled when I took a breath)... went to the dr... said it was severe case of bronchitis and sinus infection... wa given a round of antibiotics, a steroid pack and a steroid inhaler... two months later... still hacking!

This is exactly my story too. Thought it was gone but last night I started hacking like crazy again, and now the awful burning sensation is creeping back in my nostrils! I have an appointment with my allergist. I had to take prescription strength vitamin d a while back, wondering if I need to start that back up.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Have you heard it? You must have.

It starts off like a common cold, except this one simply doesn't let go. Personally, I've had it for about 8 weeks. I'm aware of other ATS Staff members who have experienced it for longer, and personally know people who have had it for 10-12 weeks or more. Its not just confined to England/Britain either - this thing is world wide.

This thing bounces round, off you chest, to the back of your throat and then back down onto your chest again. When you think you have it beat, it simply seems to reinvent itself. Its debilitating after a while because it rattles your brain and deprives you of sleep.

Cough medicine hasn't shifted it. Daily Vitamin C and healthy eating hasn't either.

So, what is it? Weaker SARS, some form of Swine Flu or just simply a little bug doing the rounds?

Call me paranoid, call me crazy...call me a taxi if you want, I'm interested in hearing your experience of this and/or ways to beat it! (would be nice to clear it out of my system before ATS Live this coming Saturday!!!)

Could be a weak version of TB.. Only thing I could say is, if you got $200-$500 bucks to spend, buy a decent microscope and see for yourself.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Antibiotics shouldn't help a cough.
My girlfriend has had one for a couple weeks though it really isn't bad, really it's just like a person intentionally coughing to clear their throat, except more frequent. Delsym is a good cough syrup. And I have been making her take vitamin c and d.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Try Elderberry Syrup it is sold at Kroger or I'm sure some health food stores carry it. It is what my sister a Holistic healthcare practitioner, master herbalist, and nutritional consultant used to beat the Swine Flu my brother in law had at the same time as having an upper respiratory infection. Take Silver drops, elderberry juice extract/syrup, incorporate organic garlic, and Red Pepper into your diet they are all anti-viral. Give that a shot + how much Vitamin C are we talking. Take it to bowl tolerance (explaining now) take it until you start to feel like you are going to get an upset stomach and back off by 500-1000mg it is water soluble so it's not going to hurt you there is no overdose lvl, seriously I don't care if you get up to 20,000mg there are reports from Mexico and Canada showing doctors injecting 100,000mg of vitamin C into cancer tumor and disintegrating them in a matter of days or weeks. Let me know how everything goes.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
not sure of the cause but have suffered a few times from weird cold / flu coughs / sinus pain / headaches though x-rays etc showed as normal.

I have a theory it could be in the food. We avoid processed, and only eat humane, like free range or organic now.

Chicken, bacon and eggs are ones to watch, could be some mutated flu virus in the food, whenever we got these coughs it was after eating these. We only buy meat, poultry and egg products from M&S now as we have found these safer.

Also, we totally avoid fast food places......so much healthier, not that it was ever often before but those places really pose a health risk.

When we got these coughs last year, making a really strong cup of peppermint tea and adding the contents of a peppermint oil capsule onto the near boiling water and inhaling really clears the eustachian tubes, kind of sore but works, and clears and prevents infections, use with caution though!

Chlorella is great for detoxing and boosts the immune system, also gets rid off heavy metal toxins and is used by those detoxing after BP spill etc, it works.

Daily, I would suggest active 10+ Manuka honey, and garlic capsules.

Turmeric is really good at cleansing and is antiseptic, combined with regular intake of ginger, fresh or powdered, even such things as ginger and lemon tea works, other spices such as chilli and cayenne, are good at preventing such ailments.

Making a curry or food using these spices at least once a week will help, as will keeping warm and drinking hot drinks like ginger tea after being in the cold.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

Juniperberry

I think your logic and thoughts about Molds and fungi may have some mileage.....

They release mulitple spores which will be airbourne and be 'breathed-in' by everyone........ similar to Hay fever, people WILL repsond to these spores by excessive Mucus production, coughing to try and 'eject' the irritants, a slow progressive nasal drip at night where the excessive mucous created in the sinus drips into the lungs causing coughing !!

Antibiotics are pointless because they will never effect an allergic reaction which is what I think this is !!

I personally have been suffering with a blocked / congested nose for weeks which has caused me great frustration. I live in the country and in a very old building which obviously has the odd damp area.....
I get occasional hayfever in the Summer but no big problem but this recent congestion IS VERY similar to hay fever and so I deduce that everyone is suffering some allergic reaction to something in the air...

One question I have for everyone is HOW MANY of you suffering out there HAVE HAD a FLU Shot / JAB ???

Regards

PDUK

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
this sounds crazy but
i put half a cap full of hydrogine peroxide in my ear
let it do its thing for 2 minutes
then i repeat on other ear
wipe with q-tips
done

really seems to make me feel better

also helps get that itch in the back of your throat that u can never seem to reach

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dyax-

Haha.. Well. I do this to break up the wax, but I think the itch just has to go on its one, thats right kids, you can never scratch it with your tongue.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I have 4 alternative techniques for you but you won't like either of them I am pretty sure.

1.A mustard plaster.
Buy mustard powder and cheeseclothe.
Make a mustard paste and apply to back or chest.
Move it around if it feels like it is burning.
It hurts like hell but it works by bringing blood vessels to the surface and relieving congestion.

2.Onions
There a few ways to do this one.
You can take an onion bath or you can roast an onion and drink the squeezed juice.
You can also mix cooked onions with honey and make a paste.

3.Combine a pinch of ground ginger with a quarter teaspoon of sugar and take before bed.
Let it dissolve on your tongue.
It burns as well but it works for coughs.

4.Take an apple or a pear and make a hole inthe side.
Pour honey into the hole.
Steam it til cooked.
Mash and eat.

The mustard paste is what I suggest.
If it doesn't hurt a little then its not working.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Surprised nobody has suggested this - BAKING SODA, it alkalizes your body and no bacteria can survive in an alkalized system.
Take half a t-spoon with water 6 times throughout the first day, four the next day, then two times a day from then on and I garauntee it'll be gone within a week.
works everytime for me, actually I haven't been sick for years with any type of flu and I'm a school teacher, around sickly kids all the time.
Happy Health to ya

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I had a similar thing, Nasty flu combined with a chest infection, I had it for about two weeks it was definitely worse than man Flu :-). Anti-biotics shifted the Chest infection (after being prescribed two types), but the flu hung around for about a month afterward. It does go away, but it kicks your teeth in first, I don't think it's anything sinister, it just seems to be a really nasty strain, and combined with the very cold winter we've had this year it's been in it's element. Get well soon :-)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join