It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Policy in the Middle East is Failing Because the U.S. Dosen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

American Policy in the Middle East is Failing Because the U.S. Dosen

www.washingtonsblog.com

Robert Grenier - writes today:

Events in the Middle East have slipped away from us. Having long since opted in favour of political stability over the risks and uncertainties of democracy, having told ourselves that the people of the region are not ready to shoulder the burdens of freedom, having stressed that the necessary underpinnings of self-government go well beyon
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.michaelmoore.com
www.foreignpolicy.com
www.washingtonpost.com
www.salon.com

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is one of the most damning indictments of our policy, when a member of the establishment himself doesn't believe in the party line and is willing to say it out load.

"The failure of the US to uphold its stated commitment to democratic values therefore goes beyond a simple surface hypocrisy, beyond the exigencies of great-power interests, to suggest a fundamental lack of belief in democracy as a means of promoting enlightened, long-term US interests in peace and stability."

www.washingtonsblog.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oil, drugs and Israel really do seem to be the primary concerns of U.S. Diplomacy in the Middle East with anything that ensures the flow of the first two and the security of the latter being what seems to drive political partnerships and gun boat diplomacy.

That we didn't get that message on 9/11 and really believed that the desperate statements much of the Arab world has been trying to convey for the last 30 years since the fall of the Shah of Iran really goes to show just how good the CFR, Government and the Media is at putting a spin on these things, that actually allows us to imagine we are the reasonable and fair ones.

In reality nothing could be further from the truth, and the dual standards in U.S. Foreign policy has long been coming back to bite it and haunt it.

We aren't spending trillions of dollars a year to project armed force into the region because everyone is jealous of our 'freedoms'.

Hopefully Americans wake up to that through all this, because the damage the U.S. Government has been doing to Americans while not as deadly or costly as what it's been doing to many peoples in the Middle East has not been good or cheap for Americans either.

When enough people take to the street eventually their voices are going to outweigh and outshout the spin maestros with the corporate media.

It's about time!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Actually there was one big politician who did believe in democracy and because of his decisions, the middle east is now on the verge of revolution.

Blame George W. Bush for all the riots. Blame Bush for disrupting the normal American middle east policy of propping up dictators.

Bush wanted democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan, it isn't a stretch that people in other countries don't want to be left behind. Bush went against (well not really) the usual American policy of backing dictators because he needed an excuse to cover the the failure to find WMD's in Iraq.

The entire justification for the Iraq war (post WMD excuse) was to bring democracy to the region. Well now it is being brought only Bush didn't realize it will affect America's dictator friends also.

Whether or not Bush's intentions were noble, it is all his fault, he started the hunger for freedom and started the revolution away from hard core dictators. Whether or not that freedom is actually a good thing for American policy is another thing especially knowing how hypocritical the American government can be.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

What you say is true, but global corporations and their 'forces' will NOT let this stand for long, especially the ones based in America and Israel.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
We have denied Islamic culture is different from Western culture.

We have denied that Jihad is the method by which Islam is spread.

These two mistakes have brought us to where we are now. Had we confronted Jihad and worked against it, we would not be here. Instead, we appeased, equivocated, and denied that Jihad even exists. Foolish, and as we can see now, deadly. It is too bad the good Egyptians must now pay for our weakness.

Denial of Jihad won't make it go away.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Muslim Brotherhood leader alledgedly said that the Egyptian military needs to attack Israel! Just heard it on FOX News! Just a rumor, or are they setting the stage?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This would have been a good post, however, when an OP uses a source from Michael Moore as part of their basis of argument, you lose all credibility.

Sorry, but a waste of thread space~

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Interesting, since we're the ones who have been invading their countries, toppling their leaders, and murdering their activists for the last 50 years.

It would seem that if anyone is waging jihad, it's us.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

In other words...

"LALALALALALALALALALA! CANT HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALA! MY IGNORANCE IS INTACT! LALALALALALA!"

Well, to each his own

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

yeah pretty much...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
This would have been a good post, however, when an OP uses a source from Michael Moore as part of their basis of argument, you lose all credibility.

Sorry, but a waste of thread space~

no it is your post that is a waste of thread space. what have you added to the discussion..nothing.. Where is your evidence..?
You look like a troll to me...

kx

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I don't deny that the US shouldn't be in the middle east to promote their own financial gain. But allow me to clarify, most people dont take any thread seriously, if it is referenced to FOX, Michael Moore, or any of the like. Now debating on whether or not these sources are credible is another thread topic.

Just sayin is all...and most people would agree, take note on how very few people have visited this thread. So I rest my case.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Vikus

bush did nothing to create democracy in iraq and afganistan. He has installed puppet governements that do not have the trust of the people and which have very limited control of the country.
What we are seeing in northern african countries now has nothing to do with bush. this has caught the big powers off gaurd. Egypt is an ally of america and isreal, it has something like the tenth biggest army in the world. The dictor was our ally and was given billions every year in aid.
Why? because egypt like isreal is responsible for the blockade of palastine.
The usa likes dictators, there have been many times in the past that the cia has toppled democracies and installed dictators.
Really we have bought no freedom to the middle east. The people of iraq and afganistan do not feel liberated, certainly the 2 million that have been killed do not..
A time line of some of the cia atrcoities...
www.sodahead.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You're right. The American government likes to talk a lot about democracy and freedom yet they have continued spend billions of dollars propping up iron fisted dictators in the Middle East to keep their people in line.

We are all for freedom and liberty for ourselves, but when it comes to other countries it's all about keeping the people oppressed and poor. It was never more obvious then when the Palestinians in Gaza were set to vote back in 2005. The American government was hailing the vote as a historic victory for democracy and freedom. When the people of Gaza voted for Humas the American government went balistic. They refused to accept the results from a free and democratic election because it did not turn out they way they wanted.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The people in the Middle East don't hate America because they are jealous of our freedoms, they hate America because we support dictators that prevent them from being free.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
reply to post by purplemer

I don't deny that the US shouldn't be in the middle east to promote their own financial gain. But allow me to clarify, most people dont take any thread seriously, if it is referenced to FOX, Michael Moore, or any of the like. Now debating on whether or not these sources are credible is another thread topic.

Just sayin is all...and most people would agree, take note on how very few people have visited this thread. So I rest my case.

MIcheal Moore has made documenties that have facilitated in the paradigm shift we are seeing today, he bought 911 conspricy to the masses Debating wether micheal moore is credible or not is part of this topic. If you have information on why he is not credible please share it with me. Dismissing the source with no explanation as to why does nothing to help.

kind regards
kx

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vikus
Actually there was one big politician who did believe in democracy and because of his decisions, the middle east is now on the verge of revolution.

Blame George W. Bush for all the riots. Blame Bush for disrupting the normal American middle east policy of propping up dictators.

Bush wanted democracy in Iraq and Afghanistan, it isn't a stretch that people in other countries don't want to be left behind. Bush went against (well not really) the usual American policy of backing dictators because he needed an excuse to cover the the failure to find WMD's in Iraq.

The entire justification for the Iraq war (post WMD excuse) was to bring democracy to the region. Well now it is being brought only Bush didn't realize it will affect America's dictator friends also.

Whether or not Bush's intentions were noble, it is all his fault, he started the hunger for freedom and started the revolution away from hard core dictators. Whether or not that freedom is actually a good thing for American policy is another thing especially knowing how hypocritical the American government can be.

hey Vikus,

As a Middle Eastern myself i have to partially disagree with you about Bush being the reason or the one to blame for the revolutions started to take place in the ME towards freedom and democracy, with or without Bush people of the ME are really fed up with the dictatorship of thier leaders, corruption, repression, poverty, unemployment, education, health care, people of the ME simply want to live, they know deep down inside that they have the potential to make a great nation and participate with other nation of the world in the making of the future of humanity, Bush on the other hand was the reason for them getting a very bad reputation worldwide over the last decade, Muslims in the ME have been labeled and called many names because of Bush and his puppet Bin Laden, "Terrorists", "Terrorism", "War on Terrorism" indirectly meant every single muslim or nation in the ME, this accumulates with the above mentioned issues people are having in the ME, in short, people are furstrated and want to change thier realities and catchup with the rest of the world.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

The article was simply posted on Moore's site. Jeff Cohen has written several pieces criticizing ME policy on different media outlets. Jeff Cohen is a journalist, media critic and founding director of the Park Center for Independent Media at Ithaca College.

For what it's worth Moore is in my opinion a complete waste of humanity and I am completely indifferent to him and his opinion. But just because this article was from Moore's site doesn't invalidate the thread or make it a waste of space. I simply used his site to link the article.

Thanks

top topics

join