It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space is so full of junk that a satellite collision could destroy communications on Earth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Space is so full of junk that a satellite collision could destroy communications on Earth.

www. telegraph.co.uk

The volume of abandoned rockets, shattered satellites and missile shrapnel in the Earth’s orbit is reaching a “tipping point” and is now threatening the $250 billion (£174bn) space services industry, scientists said.

A single collision between two satellites or large pieces of “space junk” could send thousands of pieces of debris spinning into orbit, each capable of destroying further satellites.

Global positioning systems, international phone connections, television signals and weather
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I thought this might happen one day! I really hope that it doesnt put any astronaughts in danger but I would certainly Like to see the look on some of these big corporations faces when they find out that not only Has their satellite Been destroyed but that its also taken out several other's and the International Space station.

I mean did no-one else see this coming?! The pure ignorance of the people in power will be their downfall.

What worries me is that everything Holding humanity together such as communication Etc is Very Fragile indeed and at any moment could just Cease to exist

edit on 1/2/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/2/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Good post...favorite topic of mine and of course all of those connected with NASA...

Truth be told...what WILL cause chaos is debris NOT of mans making sorry to tell. Wondering why it is so difficult to get the next shuttle mission to go up? And any connection with the Tuscon congresscritter husband shuttle commander?

Yep sure is debris but not so sure about the source...seems to me the earth cracking up, sinking, floods not receeding from normal rainfall amounts...yep definitely cause for concern...and of course all that blizzard weird weather, failure to get to a normal temperature for months now...guess wild weather and space debris and quakes and flooding are all unrelated events...

yep...go back to sleep...safer there

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

I'm seriously suprised that everybody doesn't know about this. The earth has so much junk circling it, i shocked we don't look like Saturn sometimes. But a lot of it fall into the sea after it loses its orbit. You got this from the army in the future commercial didn't you.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Oh well, back to writing letters and talking to people face to face eh?

Not a bad thing me thinks.

Interesting stuff. I'm sure any problems would be related to small impacts and all that sensitive equipment up there. So many little pieces all crammed into small spaces and working in unison is a recipe for disaster imo. Just like a mobile phone or an MP3player. Take out one single bit and the whole lot stops working. "Engineered falability", great for manufacturers but not for satellites where you can't just take it back to the shop or get a quick replacement.

Maybe this news is just a ploy to deploy some new kind of space weapon to shoot all that debris out of orbit. The new unmanned shuttle with it's secret payload comes to mind. Yes, the human race will eventually mess up the rest of space too!

I too hope the astronauts will be OK, I'm sure their trajectory V space junk is high on the impact list and action could be taken well in advance of a problem.

Thanks for the link.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I guess this would be a prime candidate for space junk ?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Ohh yeah there is tons of crap in space. From satellites that have collided, to satellites that have been blown up to, rocket pieces, there is alot of crap out there. This is why the U.S. developed the Space Fence. Here is a link to a thread about the Space Fence.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
This technology allows us to track small objects in the Earth's orbit and keeping what ever we send up there from smashing into debris.

top topics

join