It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival water purification systems

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tinkytink1207

If the survival situation last long enough (shtf) everything will either break or run out. For long term water suvival look into the "slow sand water filter'. you can make your own with a 1.5 meter long PVC pipe, fill the bottom 30cm with clean small stones, then fill to the top with course sand. have a container of water above with a small hole so that the water drips into the pipe constantly , the sand will filter even tiny bacteria from the water. this will filter the water but i boil before drinking for piece of mind.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinkytink1207
Lots of information here!!!! I am still reading the sites etc. Thank you all for your help!!!!

Hey bro, that's what here for.

Mind if I "friend" you?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
If you're worried about your tablets running out, maybe break them in half? I'm not sure of the recommended doses, but just a thought.

Something I came across that blew my mind, although very expensive is the water from air generator EcoBlue, which can be found at www.ecoloblue.com... . If I had the money I'd definitely get one. They even have one assembled with a solar panel!

Kinda reminds me of the 'Mana' machine mentioned in Christian history.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
So far we have the old, boil water first 10 minutes and then MMS, miracle mineral supplement. Also a book to make it ourselves.

I would add vinegar,not bleach it kills 99.9% of the germs in a 5% solution and its not cancer causing. What is the best thing to do, is get some online plans to build a distillery. Might even be good to mod a car to alchohol and use this or diesal and use biofuel if necessary. If you have the money or skills. But we're going to be building a distillery.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is what you need:

www.mineral-solutions.net...

Ribbit

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Good thread for the DIY'ers.

My son sent me this video on money saving tips, lifetime of bleach. Well it turns out to have multi benefits.

Thought I would share it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinkytink1207
Okay I need help! I am working on my survival kit, and I need info on water purification systems. I have water stored, and I have purchased those purification tablets. But I know that if things last long term I am going to need something better Right??? I have looked on Ebay, and I do not know what I am looking at, so I am asking you guys to help me on what I need to get for my kit?? I can't afford thousands of dollars so lets remember that. I have a family of 4 so I need something that will meet those needs. Thanks guys as I know you can help me out!!! If you have a special site etc let me know, but let me know what to look at??

buy a pot, and maybe a butane heater or something along the lines of that, you canuse that to boil the water, and kill any bacteria.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The distillation process for chemical contamination is very complex and requires 4 stages (still runs). At each stage the thermometers on both the boiler and head are monitored. In the end if you had started with 10 gal you should have 3 gal of reasonably safe water. You must also have a head that can be opened to the atmosphere and then closed. Unlike alcohol it is entirely about the temps and what gets tossed.

There is a tutorial on here from a couple years ago if you want to search it up.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It's all about redundancy, if the SHTF you don't want to rely on one way to purify water. You want a back up plan to your back up plan.

UV: Take water, put it in a clear trash bag and let it sit in the sun for about 6 hours. The suns UV light should filter out any sort of single cell organisms.

Survival Straw: Can be used to drink directly from the water source. Sort of a "last ditch effort"

Water Filter Kind of a no brainer, filters out Giardia & Cryptosporidium, nasty things that you definitely could do without.

And if worst comes to worst, another way to filter is boiling the water in a canteen. But youve probably heard that a million times

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
First for a survival bag you need the best.

Filter are fine in some cases and should be carried.

But there is only one system that will work in all cases. that is distillation it can remove salt from sea water bacteria radioactive elements.

These are things home made filters and many so called survival water filters can not do.

Its essential that you have the materials to build a solar still.
In fact you need enough to build about 15 to 30 of these,
And have the tubing and a small hand pump along with about 5 on gallon collapsible water jugs.these will allow you to store fresh water.
www.desertusa.com...
theurbandesert.blogspot.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.youtube.com...

Other larger scale solar stills that could be built at a base camp or hideaway..
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

these stills not only work in the desert but on beaches or along rivers that may be contaminated

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Agreed. You should have three ways to make fire and three ways to make water. (preferably all 3 at .2 micron or smaller)

In my pack: (its an INCB bag)

1 Super Straw. (company is out of business. Was just too expensive to produce. It is a combination layered and sealed stack of sintered silver and ceramics discs) Would probably be $75 these days. 5000 gal average life from clear water.

1 New in package Platypus gravity works. This one is a backup should my work horse end up cracked or broken.

1 Custom made Monolithic gravity filter, set in a Sea to Summit 10L collapsible bucket. I have added a rubber plug to the filter outlet for a 'leak by' test at each use to ensure it remains sealed. I have an additional 20L bucket to draw water from source. They need to be hung up as they tend to spill if set down. But are ultralight light.

2 pounds and 5 oz for Everything. The monolithic will go 14,000 gallons plus for its lifespan.

Notice the trend. No chemicals. No moving parts. Moving parts break and wear out.

I have added a Sea to Summit solar shower(5.5 oz)

Will add a 10 L sink for dishes/cleaning field produce(4.4oz) and 5L sink for personal hygiene (3oz) in the near future.

Water for the next several years and everything needed for washing and hygiene at 4 pounds total including a spare Monolithic replacement filter and sock.

One more thing from experience. These super fast gravity filters like the Platypus and Sawyer complete are only backups. They will plug up fast if you dont have crystal clear water and backflushing seldom restores them.
edit on 30-5-2011 by Shadowalker because: fast filter edit

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join