It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival water purification systems

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Okay I need help! I am working on my survival kit, and I need info on water purification systems. I have water stored, and I have purchased those purification tablets. But I know that if things last long term I am going to need something better Right??? I have looked on Ebay, and I do not know what I am looking at, so I am asking you guys to help me on what I need to get for my kit?? I can't afford thousands of dollars so lets remember that. I have a family of 4 so I need something that will meet those needs. Thanks guys as I know you can help me out!!! If you have a special site etc let me know, but let me know what to look at??

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Try here : www.lifesaversystems.com...

or better yet, do a little research about water purification and buy the individual components in bulk! Anthracite coal, calcium hydrochloride, don't get sodium chloride, it doesn't last as long.

Got my supplies just need to hook up my rainwater collector in the basement to automatically filter it now!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tinkytink1207

I would just buy In plenty of Chlorine tablets they're cheap and sexy

www.lifesystems.co.uk...

You can use them without any harm to you for longer than most other Methods of Purification

edit on 1/2/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
It all depends on how much filtered water you plan to use over what estimated period of time really. I would suggest a Katadyn filter just because they are well known and filter out just about everything. I go to this site Here. You can get filters with a capability to filter up to 13k gallons between cartridge changes, but they are larger units. Some of the smaller units can do the same, but it depends on the starting water quality. I would suggest that no matter which one you decide to go with that you also pick up at least one extra filter replacement cartridge.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinkytink1207
Okay I need help! I am working on my survival kit, and I need info on water purification systems. I have water stored, and I have purchased those purification tablets. But I know that if things last long term I am going to need something better Right??? I have looked on Ebay, and I do not know what I am looking at, so I am asking you guys to help me on what I need to get for my kit?? I can't afford thousands of dollars so lets remember that. I have a family of 4 so I need something that will meet those needs. Thanks guys as I know you can help me out!!! If you have a special site etc let me know, but let me know what to look at??

Although not always the easiest and most convenient, but heat to me is the best purification available and never needs electricity or something that may become hard to come by. Chlorine bleach is my personal second choice. Filters need to be replaced, and over an extended period of time could prove difficult to find and replace. The idea is to keep it as simple as possible, because if you should have to evacuate you may not be able to take your purification system with you, but you can take fire. And, be very careful listening to the "pros" most are only corporate pigs just trying to separate you from your money. Simplicity is the key. Charcoal works good too.

Also, keep stored water in the dark as much as possible so that it does not start growing algae.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tinkytink1207

I did some serious research on this exact subject. It appears to me that BERKEY Water system can filter the highest level of contaminated water ANYWHERE. And it is portable. Also the BRITA Water Pitchers are REALLY inexpensive and seem to be pretty good also.

And PENTA bottled water, is what I found to be the purest on the market. It has been filtered 13 times over. I currently have 5 cases of pint sized water bottles in my garage.

For Shower filters.....Aquasana has one of the best and least expensive...fyi

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
So far great info!! I am looking at the sites now. If I were to purchase the lifesaver jerrycam do I then hook it up to a water source?? Rain barrel or some other source or can it just suck water from any container? I guess I am asking so I need a special container to go with that??

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

So in the long run my bleach and tablets may be just as good as the other gadgets advertised? So if I keep a lot of those on hand I do not really need the other things? Just wanting opinions...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

reply to post by Skewed

So in the long run my bleach and tablets may be just as good as the other gadgets advertised? So if I keep a lot of those on hand I do not really need the other things? Just wanting opinions...

I am just saying that in the event of something lasting an extended period of time, you could find yourself reverting back to the very basics as it is. Fire, charcoal, sand, chlorine etc, because the "gadgets" have either lost electricity, you have broken it or cannot find replacement parts, and then you realize that all that money spent was a waste because you cannot use it anymore. It comes down to what works best for you and your family, my opinion may or may not work for you. But I feel that no matter what the circumstances, that simplicity and the basics win out over anything else handsdown, everytime.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I completely understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I guess the stress of the times has me questioning my readiness. But the easiest and simplest is always the best. Thanks for your input!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Does the rolling boil method work? And how long should you have to boil contaminated water till its drinkable?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I completely understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I guess the stress of the times has me questioning my readiness. But the easiest and simplest is always the best. Thanks for your input!

One thing to remember. The best way to prepare for an emergency is to know what kind of emergency to prepare for. Since that is not always possible, you have to make your best educated guess and do what you feel you need to do. As an example, digging these underground bunker systems are a good idea, unless the emergency is flooding, then you could find yourself buried alive. You never really know what to do, the best thing you can do is be adaptable and roll with the punches.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
My method is based on not having stores to buy things from.
What will people do when the things you buy run out???
Rainwater is great so catch what you can and filter it (you can make your own).
Digging a hole near a water source will get you partially filtered water.
Dig the hole and let it fill up then collect it...same concept of how wells work.
I own no filter and do ALOT of camping and survival stuff.

In winter boil ice...snow is 90% air...ice is 90% water.

I am going out this weekend when it should be minus 20 to give you an idea how much time I spend out there.

The more you know...the less you need.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Eye dropper + regular bleach 1 to 10 parts in dropper per gallon of water.

Go online and get the specific ratios. You wont need the tablets.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

The guide that I have always used that works for me is to add the chlorine until the water begins to slightly smell like bleach. Also, bleach evaporates from water and could need to be reapplied if it sets out for a day or so.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The simple way is to exactly as your water treatment plant does for your water now.
Purify it with a bit of bleach. A little goes a long way. If you think you possibly would have to be on the move, nothing else is as cheap, efficient and quick as a small container of bleach. Yes, the little pills are more smaller if you really want something compact , but bleach is fine.

some folks won't want to believe that, but for thirty years I lived across the street from a suburban water well for our community. It was fully legal and licensed by the state. I've seen them use gallon jugs of off-the-shelf, name-brand bleach to treat the large holding tanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

How long should you have to boil contaminated water till its drinkable?

It takes 3 hours at 100 degrees C to kill the strongest of bacteria. If you have a pressure cooker it can reduce this time as a higher temperature is possible. Boiling water makes no difference if there is heavy metal or other chemical contamination. Depending on your immune system, some bacteria is manageable but if the numbers get to high it can make you sick for a while. A distillation process is a better way to get pure water and remover other containments. I have not checked out the filter systems available.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
get a katadyn or something like it. i personally use a steripen when out (uses uv light to purify). also, one off the bestethods of purification is your mind. mind over matter!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

How long should you have to boil contaminated water till its drinkable?

It takes 3 hours at 100 degrees C to kill the strongest of bacteria. If you have a pressure cooker it can reduce this time as a higher temperature is possible. Boiling water makes no difference if there is heavy metal or other chemical contamination. Depending on your immune system, some bacteria is manageable but if the numbers get to high it can make you sick for a while. A distillation process is a better way to get pure water and remover other containments. I have not checked out the filter systems available.

I disagree, but not saying you are wrong, but boiling water for three hours when water is in short supply could be a little to long. I have always been fine with a few minutes, I just do not want to be turning all my water into steam and not getting any benefit from it. From my experience and research, and this is even debated, but I feel 180 degrees F is sufficient enough to kill anything harmful to humans, but boiling instead is used as it is a simple guide because we know the temp at which water boils and we can get a visual of it when a thermometer is not available.

Dealing with chemical contaminants in the water becomes a whole new thing, and I am just of the opinion to just stay away from it if I can.

Originally posted by survival
get a katadyn or something like it. i personally use a steripen when out (uses uv light to purify). also, one off the bestethods of purification is your mind. mind over matter!

There is a method of using clear plastic bags(zip locks) full of water and laying under the sun for several hours will kill the bacteria with UV. Never tried this method yet but sounds doable, but just takes time.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Since this is the survival forum I feel the need to point out that sustaining and surviving are different.
When the water filters are no longer working and the bleach is gone...what would you do??
(extreme cases of course but still,think about it)
edit on 1-2-2011 by DrumsRfun because: ABDUCTED BY ALIEN BIGFOOTS

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join