It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill requires all S.D. citizens to buy a gun. Just like ObamaCare!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Here's some proposed legislation that the sponsors know will be struck down. The sponsors are trying to make a point of the illegality of forcing individuals to buy government health insurance.

Source

This reminds me of the laws of Switzerland, where every able-bodied man is required to own a rifle and several hundred rounds. They have among the lowest gun-related crimes in the world.

The measure is known as an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Obummer's genius health bill is idiotic in the extreme. It like saying we'll end homelessness by forcing everyone buy a house!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by masterofnone

Right on. And the Swiss have the highest per capita gun ownership.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Switzerland's gun laws are considered universal conscription, which requires that all able-bodied males between 20 and 34 keep fully-automatic firearms at home in case of a call-up.

That's right. Fully-automatic. There's banks to protect!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Nice vid about the swiss and their firearms. www.youtube.com...

Deebo

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Nice vid about the swiss and their firearms. www.youtube.com...

Deebo

I think it is important to note this video is more about the importance of a militia rather than actual gun ownership such as handguns, concealed weapons, etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Right On, South Dakota!

The liberals in this country thought for a minute that they had won, so they gathered all of their fluffy legislature that they have been drooling over since Roosevelt.

Well, they didn't win the PEOPLE,

ObamaCare will be repealed,
but the lesson of how dangerous and stupid these people are when given too much control,
is what we MUST remember.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I used to own guns. Don't have any guns now. Have a BB pistol! I could shoot my eye out, but I won't because I don't have any BB's! Anyway, on a much more serious subject, guns, and bombs, and exotic weapons are not the answer! Humanities liberal arts and sciences and technologies are not the answer either! The answer lies in replacing the carnal spirit with the Holy Spirit. Only one Way that this can be accomplished, but a vast majority of humanity rejects this Way, and many of them claim to be descendants of Abraham and Christians too. It is apparent to those who have eyes to see and ears to hear that the whole world is in the power of the evil one. If you don't understand this then YOU are in the power of the 'evil one'! Your response to this will prove this! Those who refuse the love of the truth so as to be saved, will experience the 'day of judgement'. The prophets of the Most High God were told that this day will not be a day of enlightenment, or revelation, or of peace and prosperity, or the transformation and evolution of humanity, but a time of desolation and destruction of the ungodly. So it will be for the ungodly! For the righteous, the saints, the true believers in Christ Jesus, it is written that a '...new heaven and a new earth...' will be created! "Behold, the dwelling of God is with men. He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away." This is what I look forward to! Do you? "BEHOLD, I MAKE ALL THINGS NEW."

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Then it is important to remember that George Mason said the militia is every body except for a few public officials. In other words all America citizens are part of the militia by the very fact of their birth.

We have the militia covered. For some reason people still want to strip them of guns.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't believe this is anything real guys... honestly

i live in SD, and am over 21, and i'm not forced to own a gun. The crime is too low here to even worry about defending yourself.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This type of law has been passed elsewhere and even stood up to a court challenge:

Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw

KENNESAW, Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, everyone "went crazy."

"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes," he said. "Of course, that wasn't the case."

In fact, according to Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.

Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

"It did drop after it was passed," he said. "After it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years."

According to the article, it was challenged by the ACLU and was upheld after some changes:

"I didn't think it could be written in a constitutional fashion," he said. "Obviously, it was constitutional, because the American Civil Liberties Union challenged it in court and we won."

Jones said the ACLU challenged the law in a federal court just after it was passed. In response, the city added a clause adding conscientious objectors to the list of those exempt.

He said the law in its final form has many loopholes, so not everyone is required to own a gun.

"There are many outs," he said. "When you look at it, almost anyone could fit into one of the exempted groups."

Kennesaw Police Chief Dwaine Wilson said no one has ever been prosecuted under the ordinance.

Rense

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mrcheezel

I don't believe this is anything real guys... honestly

The proposed legislation is real, but it's likelihood of passing is not. Perhaps it will pass if they add exemption clauses to the law as Kennesaw GA did (thank you and a star for you too, FortAnthem)

The point is to show DC the absurdity of ObamaCare. Unfortunately, the liberals aren't listening to We the People.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think this piece of legislation is brilliant because the Obamacare supporters won't see reality any other way

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I actually did a little research sense seeing this... and it turns out the only reason it was proposed was to show how improper the healthcare bill is. SD is one of the states that filed against the healthcare bill.

keloland.com... (local news)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrcheezel
I actually did a little research sense seeing this... and it turns out the only reason it was proposed was to show how improper the healthcare bill is. SD is one of the states that filed against the healthcare bill.

keloland.com... (local news)

Since the Kennesaw law was deemed Constitutional by the courts, this could come back to bite them on the behind. Sure, there's no teeth behing the Kennesaw law but it IS on the books and has been found legit by the courts. SD may end up giving Obamacare unintended support by grandstanding in this way.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I thought this part of the bill sounded like guidelines for adopting a pet from a shelter. Didn't know it could apply to firearms...“suitable to their temperament, physical capacity, and preference.”

Ok, if I have an angry temperament, maybe I shouldn't even be buying a gun (like maybe an angry person shouldn't own a dog, 'cause he'ld probably just kick it or sick it on someone) , and if I'm pretty happy and easy going, maybe I'ld buy a gun and make a pink velvet lined box to store it in.

reply to post by FortAnthem

oops!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
i don't think it'll come back to bite anyone, after the loopholes and the outs, essentially all they've done is reaffirm the second amendment, and people's right to have a fire arm to defend themselves. the fact that it says people are "required, unless".. is actually a big deal, in "bill speak". like saying, "you HAVE to buy health care, UNLESS it's been more than five years since you've been to the hospital".. see what i'm saying?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This joke failed. The point of this bill failed. Talk about wasting time and money.

top topics

join