It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Epic Snowstorm Blast The US - Be prepared to see weird things like this.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Just got an update on the crazy ice from SpaceWeather.com. Still not explained or proved a hoax, much like the Temple Mount UFO.

READER FEEDBACK (CONTINUED): A popular suggestion was that Coriolis forces twisted the snow around the wire. This cannot be correct because the scale of the phenomenon is too small for a significant Coriolis effect. Likewise, water swirling down the drain of your shower is not guided by the Coriolis force; hurricanes, however, are.

Many readers noticed that the swirl of the snow was perpendicular to the underlying braid of the wire. This observation led to the most elegant explanation: "As the snow slides down, it will follow the twist of the wire, hence the spiral builds up with the opposite twist," said reader Jim Easterbrook. Another reader, Uwe Heine, added that "snow sliding down compresses the snow ahead of it. As the spirals 'pile up' the 'wavelength' of the spirals gets shorter, hence the shorter spirals near the ground." Many correspondents echoed these ideas.

Other ideas involving wind and the circular vibration of the guy wire had merit, too, but we will give the last word to reader Matt Kolasinski: "I think it was a bunch of snow sprites having some fun, building their own version of a luge run." Case closed.

This is good for me too.

"I think it was a bunch of snow sprites having some fun, building their own version of a luge run." Case closed.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I just got an inch of ice monday, followed by two feet of snow on Tuesday, and the only weird thing I have noticed is how extremely fast the packed snow is melting off untreated roadways and driveways.

We just had highs of 15* F and 25 mph winds with negative wind chills all day, yet snow is melting like it was 35* and no wind(in the sunlight). I am not sure TPTB are telling us everything they can, when it comes to the suns intensity. In fact this has been the scene each time it has snow in my area this winter.

In all my life, I have never seen snow melt this quickly on pavement in this low of temperatures. Something is definately going on out in space or with our sun(Solar maximum ??? maybe).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

Strangely enough, today we have icicles that wont melt off our cars. IN HOUSTON TX. Not too odd because it does freeze down here sometimes, but in my life snow only 3 or 4 times. Until lately. It has snowed here 3 of the last 4 winters in a row. We are under a winter storm warning today.

A Sou-Westerner?

edit on 3-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join