It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Epic Snowstorm Blast The US - Be prepared to see weird things like this.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Snow Spirals ?

I thought this was pretty interesting. I have never heard of this before and neither has SpaceWeather.com as they are asking readers with suggestions to submit them. So here is your chance weather gurus.

What is interesting is that the spiral forms opposite of the braid direction.

"I call them Karra Spirals, after my wife Karra Strickland who discovered them in our yard," says French. "They were all over town, spiraling down the braided metal guy-wires on telephone poles. Here's the curious thing: The wires were spun clockwise, while the snow formations were spun anti-clockwise. The hardened snow spirals were rotated opposite of the metal wire's weave. We also noticed that spirals near the top of the wires were longer (~1 meter) than spirals at the bottom (0.1 - 0.3 meters)--perhaps because of gravity?"

Indeed, the changing wavelength of the spiral suggests gravity played a role in their formation. This could be how heavy snow sags under its own weight when it clings to a braided wire. Why the spirals should oppose the braid, however, is not obvious. Readers with explanations are invited to submit them for consideration.

SpaceWeather.com
edit on 1-2-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Spirals are cosmic energy signatures, so my guess is some cosmic energy waves are hitting earth causing all these weird formations

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

I saw in a thread something to that affect, that we are in a giant (I think it was like, 10k years that we will be in it) energy plume.

Intense.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We (Indiana) are supposed to get lightning and thunder with our snow and 30 mph winds. Looking forward to it!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

Not sure. But the highly conductive aluminum cable might be picking up something energetic?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I would guess an engineer familiar with fluid dynamics and eddies could explain this pretty quickly. It surely has something to do with the way wind is disrupted around the obstruction (wire) and the snow is clinging. I would guess that the direction of the wire braid is irrelavent, but the direction of the wind is significant. I bet the spirals would form the opposite direction if the wind direction switched.......or possibly it is necessary that the wire braid be perpendicular to the eddie, so they might not form at all if the wind direction switched.

The top of the wire gets more wind than the bottom, so it makes sense the braids would be longer up there.

Still very interesting and pretty!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

How very strange indeed. May I suggest melting the snow and testing it to see if their are any pollutants in it. I say this because charged particles may be influencing it. It is possible however unlikely it sounds, that if that were the case it could interact with energy transmissions from modern technology especially powerful experimental equipment like HAARP.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

It could be wind and electrostatic cling but..it should be more common then right? Maybe it is but I've never seen it growing up in New England. That of course does not make it impossible.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thankyou for sharing this. Really cool photo.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by crystalbeing

The pic is not mine. It is from here SpaceWeather.com

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Here is another flickr.com photo in the same town. What is weird is that this has never been recorded before? Anywhere else?

photo source

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Maybe the wires being electrically charged has something to do with it? I wouldn't be touching downed wires. You could get electrocuted!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

They are guy-wires, not charged. Just support cables for the poles.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Without further widespread nor historical evidence that this phenom has occurred anywhere besides this town, I call it a hoax by the people who are magically "discovering" this phenom for the first time.

The ice isn't going to create a "coiled spring" effect because of gravity. You NEVER see ANYTHING like this in nature. Ice/snow simply don't create formations like this nor is there a reason for it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Notice too that you don't see any thick white ice formations on the guy wires in the background? I call this a hoax.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Notice too that you don't see any thick white ice formations on the guy wires in the background? I call this a hoax.
To be honest i cannot even see any other guy-wires in the pics. Not all have them.

Look at this zoomed photo. Notice the crystal formations on the spiral. I am no expert on "Karra Spirals" but I think that would be very hard to duplicate????

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

>XD Couldnt help it!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

You can't see the other guy wires because they aren't covered in thick white ice. They are there, they are just too thin and gray to see and it doesn't help that the photo isn't in perfect focus.

Just look every where in that photo - there is no thick white ice forming on anything. There's a little bit of snow accumulated here and there on wires, but nothing thick.

Also, look at the street - it's wet - which means it's not that cold anymore so why would this stuff still be stuck on the wire? That's the first place this snow would melt from - if it were real.

My guess is that it's foam of some kind that they sprayed on and then sculpted with various tools.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
My opinion is that freezing rain first ran down the cable, then as it got thicker it snowed a lot of that wet heavy snow you see in the pics and it stuck????

Er.......... never mind that. The pattern would be the same as the cable not opposite..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
wind? electricity! normally when people think of a electronic wave they picture a up down motion. but in reality the up down wave graph is a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional vortex/spiral. see a spiral from the side and it just looks like a updown wave graph. very curious though how the snow made the shape, probably because it's water, but lighter than water... me thinks it's because of electricity. even though there's not a strong current like a usable electric wire, the steel is most probably charged because it's connected to some high voltage in the real wires and is also grounded in the ground. this may also explain why the spiral is more 'loose' up at the top than at the bottom.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join