It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan's king dismisses government, appoints new PM

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I still believe that in the end they will be gone

I won't disagree, but people have to get to the point of deciding that for themselves in their own time,

The UK for instance has had a go at being a Republic which ended up what I can only describe as a Crowned Republic, with leadership passing to the son of the ruler..

You could say the same thing seems to be have been happening in Egypt with Mubaraks son being primed to be the next president,,

President/king what is the difference if leadership of the nation passes through the same family line...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
They can appoint all the new government officials they want to....doesn't mean people have to follow their rules/regulations. Or do TPTB not realize this??? Their government only works on slaves...but it looks like the slaves want to be free...and don't mind dying to get it.

I think the time has come....for the 'elite' to taste the sweet flavors of unemployment. Time to work, Mr. Man! Your days of doing nothing, and receiving everything ARE OVA!!!! Now...get your ass to the back of the line...and wait for your number to be called. Next!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by searching4truth

I wouldnt say that its obvious that the King of Jordan would need to take the advice being thrown at the president of a completely different nation. For one thing the issues Jordanians have are not the same as the issues that Egyptians have, so the same remedy would not work.
Second of all , if he was actualy following the advice being thrown at Mubarak , then rather than reorganising the government, he would merely hand the crown to the next in line , and dissapear, which I do not believe would be in the best interests of the people.

Oh no, perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't mean he needs to take the advice of others. What I was trying to say is that with the Egypt situation, over and over I kept hearing that IF Mubarak had made his current moves of reform even two weeks before the people took to the streets that the situation may have been different and that perhaps the people would've given him another chance. I am seeing King Abdullah's move as a sort of preemptive strike, so to speak. Trying to implement major reforms before the people are calling for the ousting of the royal family.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonigKaos
I've heard of demonstrations in other countries. So far Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan are effected with the governments dissolved. Is there in riot or protest information coming out of Saudi Arabia or other nations. Links?

The only thing I've heard of in Saudi is a protest (relatively small) due to flooding in which 10 people were killed.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Wow.

Can anyone say "domino effect"?

S&F!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Well exactly. From what I understand, the PM and cabinet is appointed by the King, the people have zero influence on those decisions.

What King Abdullah did is appoint a new PM and with that the PM will set up a temporary government in which their objective is too establish a more democratic system, with voting for positions and whole lot.

We will have to see if this enough to calm the people. I wonder though, King Abdullah has an active monarchy. I wonder if he really will depower himself and the future of the monarchy? Will he take on a more figure head role as in with the Queen of England or will he resist and attempt to maintain some sort of real power?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Wow. Very interesting indeed. The question I'd ask is, is it that the king appears to be listening or is it more the king appears to be falling into step with a plan? There's way more to this whole ME situation than we're going to be able to put together for a while. Crazy fascinating to watch all this unfold..

Yes, I am also curious of "the plan". I know I keep going back and forth through the Egypt threads, as you're aware
, but I am again leaning towards the depantsing
. I think he trying desperately to cling to power in a swift and changing ME. I think he is trying to prevent the people for calling for his families removal.

Sure is getting crazy. I wonder if Hilary will cover this in her major meeting.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Some nations benifit from thier monarchies. We in Britain reap the rewards contrary to popular thinking, because the Royal family and the estates they manage, bring in more money by a huge margin than they spend in tourism, not to mentioning having a good working relationship with various world leaders.
The King of Jordan has been pushing for political reform in the last few parliaments, but has been largely blocked from achieving that end, by powerful officials who have put up barriers to effective and fair reform. These greedy functionaries in the back rooms of government are notorious for thier tenacity, and thier inability to let go of the power they have gained for themselves, and thier friends.
It is not the fault of the monarch in Jordan if subjects he has no contact with, decide on dissent and disobediance in order to thwart the inducement of a truely democratic society, one which the King himself is an advocate of, and has been trying to install for the last few parliaments.
Jordan would be in my veiw far worse off without thier King, because he is a democraticaly minded man, who has fought to instigate positive change in the politics of his nation. He is not a tyrant, nor is he evil in any regard. He is a man who believes in freedom and democracy, which puts him firmly on the moral high ground when compared to the individuals who make up the political powerhouses in the nation. Without him, the real tyrants would be running amok, and there would be blood. This much is a certainty.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

domino accelerates effect, reaching free fall speed in few days. Prepare to party with everybody on the streets.
(danger a possibility)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Well our queen has outspoken her disapproval of social media, and still she runs the Bilderberger conference. So what our queen can not resolve thrum local politics she will in secret meetings like the Bilderberg. Cybersecurity

No man, nor group shall reign over one other, we are all equal. We can manage without them, more prosperous.
The earth is rich and can provide for all, the world is of us al. Not from a few select groups, that control the divided country's.

We have the potential to be continuous happy and content. Will not happen with leaders leading us, we will lead ourselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Our Queen you mean (the title comes with a capital letter in front of it for a reason. Its a matter of respect). If you mean the British monarch, then let me inform you of a couple of home truths. Our Queen, does more for the people than do the government. She is a patron of more charity than most publicaly known people, and a figurehead for the last bastions of decency and morality which remain in these Isles. In the second world war, she was out driving ambulances around London during the Blitz, with bombs falling all over the place, getting her hands dirty with real work, while the politicians , while even Churchill , was sitting underground nice and safe from the bombs and the fire and the smoke, and the anguished screams of the dying and injured. When even the most powerful men in the nation were hiding underground, she was on the surface , risking her life to help others.
Shes shown more guts under fire, and more strength against adversity, than you or I would know how to even pretend to, and shes got more love and respect for the people of this nation than any of the scumbags who actualy run the place.
You can accuse her of being a member of a shadowy group of powerful persons if you like, and thats your opinion, to which you are more than welcome for all the good it may do you. You can shout your accusations from the highest point of Tower Bridge if you like. You can ride through the land screaming dissent and hatred for the monarchy for all you are worth, but you cannot escape the fact that our current monarch has done more for our nation , than any of the weasels of politics, and more than any of the celebrities and campaigners you could possibly name.
She showed her love for this nation in her deeds both before and during her reign , something that none of us can echo in even the remotest sense. Out of all the people in this country , she does more for it, supports it harder, and speaks for us the people more than any other figurehead in this nation. She has devoted more time and effort out of her life to us the people, than anyone else alive today, and I think its pure ignorance to ignore that fact out of some ideaological issue with being ruled. She is not responsible for your problems, the suits in Parliament are.
I would rather have Her Majesty than David "Backstabbing" Cameron, or Nick " Im just a straight up Liar" Clegg in charge of the place. At least she doesnt talk more than she acts, unlike both those idiots.
edit on 1-2-2011 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Wow, I had no idea that the Queen drove ambulances during the blitz, that's an amazing little nugget of info that I appreciate and while I am not British, I have a new found respect for her.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Thanks for your understanding on this point. Im a lover of democracy as much as any free man, but I take exception to people bad mouthing the Queen on the pretext of her being a workshy , useless, pointless paracite like some people think. Truth is that she works more days a year than any of the politicians in the country , and since her whole LIFE has been about being a figurehead for this nation, I feel personaly that she catches more crap than she deserves from the population.
I could understand people getting hateful about her if she personaly sponsored roving rape gangs like the kings and leaders of other nations have done in the past. But shes not that sort of lady.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Long Live the Queen!!!!

and I am saying that with nothing but respect.

As for Jordan, well the King deserves credit for taking action sooner rather than later.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes, I like King Abdullah, although I'm not Jordanian and won't pretend to understand their issues. From what I have read and heard him say, he has been asking parliament for such reforms for years, and they have not taken it up. It seems now amid the protests and ME turmoil he has taken action into his own hands. But I do wonder, IF he had the authority to do this, why did he wait until now to institute it?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

why did he wait until now to institute it?

I say fear of what might happen if he doesn't take proactive measures. It may sound strange but I think he is in for it either way. Doesn't make change, he may encountering similar protests as other countries. Now that he has changed a few things, he may encounter problems with hardliners who have no desire for change. Time will tell.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Jam , the great thing about having a monarch who is a fan of democracy , is that the people will not allow or accept anything less than the word of the monarch.
The people in Jordan know that thier monarch is trying on thier behalf, and since public support for the Kings position is huge out there, I can only assume that the people getting the real heat in the nation from now on, will be those corrupt officials who are holding the whole process up. Its a matter of time before thier homes and workplaces are surrounded, and they are hounded in the streets... Mark my words, if the people are unsatisfied despite this reform parliament, the King cannot be blamed for that. The people will either learn, or already know who the real problem is , and things are comming to the stage where the people will act on that knowledge with more confidence than at any other time in the nations history.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Well, let's see how this works out for King Abdullah II. There have been protests in Amman and a few other cities throughout the county. He has scrapped the cabinet and PM, appointed a new PM who will form a new government and "strengthen" democracy.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy works compared to Egypt. The King appears to be listening, although it also quite obvious he just took the advice that was being thrown at Mubarak.

IMO, the situation in Jordan is much different than that of Egypt.

King Abdullah II is very frequently changing his cabinet, parliament, and even the PM--if you do a little research, you will discover this presence of dynamism as well as what I would call "recycling" of government officials.

However, consider the differences between the new PM, Marouf al-Bakhit, and the former PM Samir Rifai:

1. al-Bakhit is a "true, pure" Jordanian, whereas Rifai is a Jordanian of Palestinian-descent...

2. al-Bakhit is a former national security chief. and former Jordanian Ambassador to Israel, whereas Rifai is a successful (capitalist) businessman...

I do believe that the handful of protestors' demands focused on the removal of the PM...

It is with these differences that I believe that you might be able to draw some conclusions.

For those of you that do not know, King Abdullah II is half British (Mother, Muna's side), and spent over half of his life in the UK.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Jordan's new PM looks like he's had a face lift LOL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join