It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Announce New Discoveries About Alien Planets

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

when larger telescopes capable of reading the atmosphere of planets are put up there, they will have targets already mapped where to look...

sorry but no, kepler is looking at stars that are mostly between 500 - 3000 light years away. The next generation of space telescopes will be able to study the atmospheres of planets within 100 light years of earth.

kepler will tell us how many rocky planets we can expect to find close by to earth. We can then look for those with missions like sim lite, then we study the atmospheres of those to see if theyre like earth.
edit on 1-2-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
People, you need to understand something: Science TAKES TIME, IT'S A STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS.
Off course you're going to be disappointed if you keep waiting for THE breakthrough, don't worry it's coming, but it's going to take time and a LOT of work to get there. WORK MADE BY SCIENTISTS....
So if you really want to know more about the universe and discover new cool stuff, you CAN become a scientist (it's hard but really fun) and help advance our knowledge.
Don't take me wrong, i'm not ranting, i would love to hear THE news as much as you.
But there are a lot of shades of grays (pardon the pun)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

I totally agree. These are all small steps NASA is making, by discovering new things about our Universe. But it's supposed the be an exciting journey. I understand the urge many people feel for a big breakthrough to happen, but NASA can't really help it if that hasn't happened yet. It takes time and a lot of hard work and hard thinking, some real smart people and the right technology to get a breakthrough. These announcements of new discoveries, though they may not seem exciting to most people is a small step towards another big thrilling breakthrough. So try to be patient.

edit on 1-2-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Very nice post

edit on 1-2-2011 by jonskie because: spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonskie

Hey, love your hair and you look hot!

why everyone need to make a love chat out of any forum :S

interesting info...i hope its a bit more this time

thx for sharing

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
IMO, each little discovery that NASA let's out is just a small part of the bigger picture. As much as I would love to hear some AMAZING news, I am assuming this is just another small part. It was only a few months ago that they released their "life can evolve differently" than on earth and now they have another announcement, most likely pertaining to a earth-like planet in a habitable zone. They are slowly letting it slip, like an above poster stated "getting their I told you so's out". Is full disclosure imminent? One can only hope.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2people

Do really trust NASA, the very people that faked the moon landing. Please.

people still believe that faked moon landing stuff?.. LOL

It must be fun to live in your own little reality

I dont trust the current NASA either..
edit on 1-2-2011 by Le Colonel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This announcement is going to be an update of the newest findings do you not remember they did this last month? I created a thread at the time...

NASA to announce new exo planet jan 10

turned it out it was the first rocky planet, from what I read its an update of the latest data they have from kepler.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Sensational article title, no?!

NASA to Announce New Discoveries About Alien Planets

If you read it quick, it sounds like NASA has discovered planets with aliens on it.

Holding my breath in the corner. These monthly announcements are usually very lackluster.

We shall see I guess.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I used to always get excited about NASA announcements. I don't anymore, because it's usually watered down b.s.

Still interesting, just not ground shattering.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Just got this from BINs which is supposed to be a new report from Nasa I think you should read it. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to where it is flashing 'NEW' Heaven Help us all if this is true.

______beforeitsnews/story/387/950/NASA_Finally_Warns_Public_About_2012_Solar_Strom_..._A_Watchmans_Report.html

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I assume it will either be more extrasolar planets; or a far out possibility of a extrasolar planet that is rocky and in it's stars habitable zone. We'll see.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
For me the most exciting news they could bring us is they've found a planet in the 'goldilocks zone'

Waiting with baited breath and doubting anything as exciting as that will be disclosed...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Great post WildEagle, thanks for the news! The last discovery the kepler mission went public on was pretty cool and I was there for the live chat Q and A with one of the kepler team. Can't wait to hear about what they found!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

I believe this.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I think this is much ado about nothing, the more I hear about NASA's press releases the more "Never A Straight Answer" fits their initials.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

I wouldn't worry too much about this article about the end of the world, as we know it, due to entering a galactic cloud of some sort. Not only is the source site quite shaky as far as believeability goes, I also think the scientist being quoted does not exist. I might be wrong, I'm just not worried. I am interested, though, in NASA's announcement.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FLEEBABYLON

Or maybe they are just going to tell us that they have discovered some more planets, but that they are not in their so called "habitable zone"...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Oh how nice!

Probably something where the same excitment is ruined by another micro bacteria...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
1000 new exo planets
www.space.com...

NASA press conference in 40 minutes! ( 1 PM EST)
www.nasa.gov...

1000 new exo planets, crazy!

edit on 2-2-2011 by conar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join