It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power of 5000 suns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by scott,aussie

Id rather glue them to the dish be a fun project..I cant I'magine what a magnifying glass would cost that size I'm sure alot more then i could afford thanks for the reply

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
While definitely cool, this has been around for a while.

Actually, the satellite dish itself does this very thing, just not with sunlight.

www.nrel.gov...

www.google.com...

www.sandia.gov...

www.energyeducation.tx.gov...

also wanted to note, that last pic is from 1993:

americanhistory.si.edu...
edit on 1-2-2011 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
That is so freakin cool!

You could use that DeathRay to heat the water for a Steam-Engine.. zero pollution and all you need is water.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

And Sun at the same moment you NEED power.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

thanks for the links and pic ..Ive got some reading to do now..wow that Solar One in Barstow, California is huge!
I was mostly showing what are youth are up to besides video games

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
you could attach it to a stiring engine and produce electricity like this guy:
www.greenpowerscience.com...

edit poor spelling
edit on 1-2-2011 by Magzoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

Well yeah, I figured the Sun was given. With a few million in research I'm sure the DeathRay could be focused over 100x than what that genius kid did. You could open up the dish for a couple seconds when you have clear-skies/Sun-light to vaporize all of your water into steam. That in turn could power a train pretty far on a track without the use of any fossil fuels.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
This would be a handy item in a world with no electricity. You could start fires, cook by heating ovens or cans with rocks around the bottom and this focused on the area. Here in Florida, you could do quite a lot like generate hot water for showers or whatever rather quickly using an iron barrel or something with a iron bar down the center in the water and focusing the ray on the bar heating it and the water would keep the bar from melting by dissipating the heat into the water. I could come up with a lot of uses for such a device. I got to build one of these. Even generate steam to turn a steam turbine attached to a generator head and you got free electricity!
I will have to build one as well,Looks like he has or will save the world in the up coming solar maximum.It's one of those "why didn't I think of that!"

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spirit_horse
This would be a handy item in a world with no electricity. You could start fires, cook by heating ovens or cans with rocks around the bottom and this focused on the area. Here in Florida, you could do quite a lot like generate hot water for showers or whatever rather quickly using an iron barrel or something with a iron bar down the center in the water and focusing the ray on the bar heating it and the water would keep the bar from melting by dissipating the heat into the water. I could come up with a lot of uses for such a device. I got to build one of these. Even generate steam to turn a steam turbine attached to a generator head and you got free electricity!
Sorry for the double post but do you think this will work if made on a smaller scale?I mean for survival purposes?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Yeah, i definitely got that drift

I was posting for the others who seem caught up in it as though this kid created something which hasnt already been done on every scale imaginable, for over five decades (parabolic troughs were gaining ground in the 1960)! edit: keeping in mind, that just means most of the research has already been done for us

As for water, there are better ways to harness the energy contained within

edit on 1-2-2011 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
.....and then the neighbours kid makes one.
and the other neighbour,

Welding masks for everyone, let's have a rural solar-ball tournament.

One kid dumps crushed mirror into water balloons, oh no, a grenade !!! Put on your SPF vests.

Until the big bad kid comes down the hill, singing :" You are my sunshine " with a huge backwards telescope on his sholder -- the reflectozooka-(with a scope ofcourse) and blasts everyone with a tan.......

But seriously, this know-how of bending light from the sun must have been around for a while. The paintings and carvings deep within caverns and pyramid chambers had to have been done with light, however no sunshine would naturally be available and no carbon deposits are on the walls indicating torches were used.

G.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

I bet spirit_horse does build one
Its such a simple idea this kid has and it could save us one day with the way this world is going ..

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gypsychology909

thanks for your reply it was a good one i got a chuckle

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Great idea... Though I'm a little surprised nobody has thought of this before..
It has been done before, I've seen a massive scale version of what he built melt steel.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
lol, it's the lil red wagon of death!

ants everywhere are trembling with fear.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

If i was an ant i sure would be lol

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
it would be a good idea to have some land of someones and all meet there to survive together more minds thinking like this would be great

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by topknowledge2012

that depends on what they could bring to the table for survival if all they have done all there life is play video games dont come to my door

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Now just imagine the strength of the focal points of dozens of these converging on one location. Or maybe even a giant dish covered in these.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheKillerStove

that would be deadly..thanks for the reply

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join