It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LF people with knowledge of infared satellite images (strange images of TC Yasi with black spiral)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I have been looking at TC Yasi through as many different sources and sats as I can get my eyes onto and I have come up with these interesting images of water vapour in the atmosphere and there is a very dominant black centred spiral looking thing moving towards the south western side of TC Yasi, can anybody please explain what these are and there affects on the TC????

Water Vapour Image

Live Loop
www.goes.noaa.gov...
Colorized IR Image for reference

Colorized IR Live Feed
www.goes.noaa.gov...

Im baffled and would love some explanations, looks like a black hole

edit on 1-2-2011 by dniMnepO because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2011 by dniMnepO because: change title

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Please if anybody has some links I can do some research on, Im looking at it blind and its happening right now. Would love to hear some opnions....

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Good find, i have been watching the BOM radar and hadnt noticed those two lows ,Looks like smaller cyclones trying to spin up.
edit on 1-2-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
i don't like the look of the even bigger spiral over Brisbane/GC & Sunshine coast - but, no crazy cyclones trying to form above me *i think ;p* It's only been on/off overcast today, got burnt in the pool so it's not too cloudy/rainy. Interesting to find out what it is though!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
that is what I thought although I have not studied water vapour images much, the one that is circled seems to be spinning very fast on the live loop interesting to see what happens when it meets up with TC Yasi in a few hours.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I trust everyone has seen this story

www.news.com.au...

showing radar artifacts. I dont think we are dealing with this and will rule it out up front, or any other processing artefact for that matter.

So a contrasting black/grey against white background could imply thinner cloud colour relative to the surrounding area. It doesnt look like an "eye" in the context of a cyclone. My guess withoult looking at the sea level 0hr pressure chart is that it is a smaller low pressure system, maybe 1000 hPa-ish.

What will its impact be? not sure, but first place to start would be looking at the 12, 24, 36 and 48 hr synoptic charts models. I might go look into it now and report back

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It's more like a lower atmospheric current or eddie. The atmosphere has currents just like the ocean. there could be a bit of a trough out there, but the upper level chart doesnt show anything nor do the mslp charts.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
It's more like a lower atmospheric current or eddie. The atmosphere has currents just like the ocean. there could be a bit of a trough out there, but the upper level chart doesnt show anything nor do the mslp charts.

was just about to say exactly that, ie, it doesnt feature on the BOM MSLP chart as a "system", just a classical trough

this is my source www.weatherzone.com.au...

And this 12min video is a good summary of what to expect. They saying it will get down to 905 hPa with 7 m storm surge due to shear size and long fetch in the onshore direction

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-2-2011 by pezza because: add link

edit on 1-2-2011 by pezza because: add youtube link

edit on 1-2-2011 by pezza because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

This thing is intense but I have to go to work now! Its amazing to see how this lower atmospheric current or eddie has affected the cyclone.

Thanks alot for the replies guys.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
At 1800 UTC Severe Tropical Cyclone has a central pressure of 924 hpa and Recent Movement : West/ Southwest at 15 knots.
AREA AFFECTED
Within 190 Nautical miles in northern semi-circle and within 280 nautical miles in southern semi-circle.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thats dryer air. THat is a water vapour image.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Cyclone upgraded to Category 5 !!!

Looks like Yogi Bear is going to tear QLD a new a***

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Also some other interesting facts;

* there is a regional rugby league match on at 8pm tonight in Cairns. Apparently they will still be going ahead with it.
* some regional flights from Cairns airports may go ahead during the peak of the storm if the wind direction aligns with the runway. If not, pilots have been advised to push back from the gate, point the plane into the wind and take off on the spot. No need to taxi to the runway. Note: only certified pilots permitted to perform vertical take off.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by pezza
* some regional flights from Cairns airports may go ahead during the peak of the storm if the wind direction aligns with the runway. If not, pilots have been advised to push back from the gate, point the plane into the wind and take off on the spot. No need to taxi to the runway. Note: only certified pilots permitted to perform vertical take off.

Wow that is amazing were did you source that from?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

yeah I see so what are the effects on the tropical cyclone from the dry air, does it have an effect on the direction of the cyclone? In the pictures on the original post their was a very dominant "spiral" basically pushing its way through any weather systems untill it met its match, TC Yasi.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dniMnepO

Wow that is amazing were did you source that from?

just kidding

This youtube video shows one of these short take offs into strong wind.

www.youtube.com...

the footy match I heard on talkback radio, but logically they wont be going anywhere outside

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
A huh! I assumed so
jokes aside this thing is huge and the eye is about 2 hours from crossing the coast.

top topics

join