It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared in Missouri: Snow up to 2 feet possible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I soooo wish I had some firewood!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
French Toast survival necessities....

Milk, Bread and eggs......

That's what got us through most winters in Md. One year we got dumped on so bad they called out the national guard to help clear the streets, it paralyzed Baltimore for almost 3 days.

Blankets and Soup...

I'm done with them bad winters.

Living here in Eastern Oregon seems very mild by comparison...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cffcbfd41d8b.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a5c9d316a36.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Suggestion for this SNOWPOCALYPSE

edit on 2/1/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I live in Rolla Missouri..right smack dab in the middle..and its really icing/sleeting here and the biggest snow flakes Ive ever seen, I swear they are like golf balls. Couldnt make it up the hill to my house so parked my van at the neighbors.
The snow doesnt really bother me, but I dont want to lose power from the ice. The last time that happened was really hell!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Still just sleeting here in St. Louis. If it's snowing in Rolla, it'll be here soon enough. Hope your power stays on!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Stay home, be safe and enjoy the snow

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
so far so good here.
No power flucations or outages. It is windy and snowy but not bad. I am just staying inside. If anything gets real bad I will let everyone know.

I always get nervous before a major storm once it kicks in I feel better.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

It's always a good time to bundle up and watch a movie.

Our favorite during a good snow fall-Blizzard was...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Here is a photo of the snow so far.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
OMG! its Realy getting bad out there, it's Pouring sleet with some snow and freezing rain mixed in.

Highway 70 is closed at Columbia MO, this is where Doppler radar is picking up lightening strikes

All Highways in St Louis and both East and West are snow/sleet covered.

Metrolink train service in St Louis is still running, but at least one train is stuck, metro is running bus bridges between stations.
These metrolink stations are not being serviced with trains, all of them are in Illinois:
Fairview Heights Station
Memorial Hospital Station
Swansea Station
Belleville Station
College Station
Shiloh-Scott Station

My job just called and said don't bother coming in.

I walked to the gas station just to take it all in, usually a 13 minute walk turned into a 25 minute Hike. The gas station is right next to a metrolink station[light rail] took the bus back home, fish tailed half the distance, I thought we were gonna do a donut at one intersection....WoooHoooo!!!

My kids are 40 miles West of St Louis and they have had 5 inches of snow fall in the last 2 hours, on top of a .25 inch of ice and 3 to 4 inches of sleet.

Im not leaving the house till tomorrow night.

Ill try to report any more info I hear, but the lights just flickered......
edit on 1-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: oops

edit on 1-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: addedmoreinfo

Damn No syrup....

I made a big batch of ham and beans with cornbread and Im making a big batch of sausage gravy now...
edit on 1-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: food

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeldI used to take fishing trips up around Cameron. I live in Southern California these days.Y'all be safe out there! Hope everyone stocked up! I've already called out to KC & I hear it's a bad one.

First, grats on the Award at CPAC!
Second; we'll be fine, this am the milking was no worry we got little to no ice accumulation.

However right now 1419 it’s snowing sideways so I just got done putting all the horses in their walk-ins (they not being the smartest of creatures) were standing at the tree line staring at their shelter with their butts to the wind. Little grain and they were motivated to come out of the snow. Silly horses.

Anyway, milking this evening is going to suck I can hardly see 50 feet in front of me. Glad to have the 4x4 gattor as it rocks in the snow.

The chickens are all in their coop - didn't even go outside today at all - not unusual in the snow they don't seem to be fans. However, the ducks are swimming away in the "heated" (to all of about 35 degree I would bet) wading pool. The geese seem to not give a rat’s patoot about the snow and are going about their business - seemingly unfazed.

Wife is making some kick arse chili for diner...all set.

Cheers!

edit on 1/2/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The Blues have postponed there game tonight with the Avalanche, ha thought this was ironic.

MoDOT has closed Interstate 70 in Boone, Cooper and Callaway Counties. Crews have been pulled off the roads until visibility improves.

Interstate 44 has also been closed in Oklahoma. I-44 West/Oklahoma Will Rogers Turnpike is closed due to winter weather. The road closure is estimated to last 96 hours. Travel in this area, as well as throughout most of the state, is not advised. Motorists must exit I-44 before they get to Oklahoma. Exits with motels and restaurants are in Springfield, Mt. Vernon and Joplin. I-44 in Missouri is still open, although it's snow covered.

Worst of Storm Nearing

Blizzard Warning: Franklin, MO; Gasconade, MO; Greene, IL; Jersey, IL; Lincoln, MO; Macoupin, IL; Montgomery, IL; Montgomery, MO; Phelps, MO; Pike, MO; Saint Charles, MO; Saint Louis City, MO; Saint Louis, MO; Warren, MO

Mo. House/Senate adjourn because of severe weather

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri lawmakers are wrapping up their work early this week because of the severe winter storm.

Mo. House/Senate adjorn because of ....
edit on 1-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: added more info

edit on 1-2-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The thing was a great movie with snow

let me bring out 2 other great snow movies...
other suggestions during this massive coming storm

no monsters .. just SNOW everywhere l

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

Here is a photo of the snow so far.

cant see the pic... no FB

can you save the photo in your ATS picture album
and then post the link here

thx

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

We don't live in Mo but back to your problem with lighting a candle........do you have a car? if yes does it have a cigarette lighter in it? If yes then maybe you can get something burning like a piece of string or whatnot?

Hope you do all right there and I hope we do too when it gets this far....(Ontario)
Regards, Iwinder & wife

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

If they have a straw and can get some paper lit with a car lighter they can blow on the paper to get a flame then light a candle, but you must be careful not to blow embers all over, best to do this in a bucket.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Good point, I neglected to mention the safety factor in my post......You don't need a car fire in a Blizzard/ice storm.
star for your input.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You all have fun watching The Thing but as for me.... The Shining!
I just hope after a few days couped up indoors with the wife and kids I don't start loosing it.
All work and no play......

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
You all have fun watching The Thing but as for me.... The Shining!
I just hope after a few days couped up indoors with the wife and kids I don't start loosing it.
All work and no play......

Laughing here.....with a big sick grin....with my head stuck through a door......
Great post:-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Im in Missouri, just north of the Capital, We currently have 2 feet of snow, and its drifting up to 3-4feet right now.
Winds are kicking at 30 to 40 miles per hour, and we arent done yet. Tonight should be fun with 50 mile and hour winds, and the next two days with temps below zero, way below from what I gather.

As far as roads being cleared, they wont until it stops snowing, the plows did go through yesterday, but it was in the afternoon so people could get home after the ice fell.

This type of stuff reminds my husband and I of when we were children. We have lived in Missouri all of our lives, its sorta been fun to see it again, igloo time!

But, in Misouri you really need to be prepared in advance, we lose power atleast once a winter for about a week, and we know out where we live that once it hits we wont be going anywhere for a while, with this, I doubt my husband or I either one will be going to work this week. Both of our jobs have cancelled work until atleast Thursday morning with the option to close for the rest of the week.
Stay inside, dont get on the roads, if you need help call for it, if your power goes off get to a shelter or someones house who has heat.

Unless your home is VERY insulated, it will take very little time for the house to dip down to below 50, or lower.
So, be careful.

Quick hint, if you are worried about your pipes freezing leave the sink or bathtub fauscets dripping a tiny bit, the cold water side only.
Best of luck

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join