It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of emergency declared in Missouri: Snow up to 2 feet possible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar,

Where are you? Missouri?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
9 volt battery + sos pad + a plate = some quick fire for a candle.
I'd practice now or at the very least get a candle lit and keep one lit.

survive this and then make a survival bag for next time.
think hard about moving to a place with natural gas heat.

good luck

eta We've had more than 3 feet of snow so far and another 10 inches due tomorrow.
I'm SO done with this stuff.
edit on 31/1/11 by shadow watcher because: more

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Ok so I called 211 and they told me I would call them when the electricity goes out after I call the electric company. She told me there will be centers that will open up but that I would have to drive there after the power goes out.
The shelters are not open now. SHe told me not to preplan because they will take care of me.
She said they might be able to pick me up if it gets too bad. If we are already under a state of emergency than it looks like the shelters are being readied. Unforunately you can't go there ahead of time. She can't disclose the locations right now.
I have a feeling the power will probably not go out. IN 2009 we had a blizzard that was little weaker than this and power did not go out. Why would she tell me not to preplan? How can you just trust someone?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

did your power go out at any point? If not maybe I have nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

I have a feeling the power will probably not go out. IN 2009 we had a blizzard that was little weaker than this and power did not go out. Why would she tell me not to preplan? How can you just trust someone?

You cannot trust them. You must try to be the best prepared that you can be. You may use them as plan b, but never plan a. Can you not drive? I'm so confused why this issue wasn't taken care of before the stores closed today. Neighbors, a bar, a 24-hour Walmart, tons of places to get ahold of matches for your candles and cheap extra blankets. Hope all goes well and you do not lose electricity, but what if you do? You must think of your next move, not hope that it doesn't happen. Call the fire dept. and ask for area resources. Make sure they know where you are and make sure you know who and where to call and how you will do this BEFORE you need to.

edit on 1-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well I have candles just no way of lighting them. They are decorative candles so I never burn them. That is what I meant by I don't even have a candle is not any that I could use. If i had a match or a lighter yes I would use them at that time.
I just turned my heat up to 73 F so if the power does go out I have some more time. I hope that helps.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseekerWho else is in Missouri?

I have a farm in NW MO.

All quiet here so far - a little freezing rain; took a trip to town for some pine bedding for the goats since I was out and it's supposed to get to the negatives on Weds (that was about 3 hours ago). HWY 65 was a little slippery in some spots but the salt trucks were out and running.

I picked up a few things at the gocery store - shelves well stocked still, plenty of milk bread etc... I don't need to buy milk or eggs we get our own fresh every day!

No one seemed to be making a run for things here; then again I think people out here keep more stufff on hand.

School was canceled already for tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

What are others doing to prepare for this winter storm. This reminds me a little of the day after tommorrow. The storm looks like it will hit all but the southern states and western states.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I cannot give to much advice, because you are not too prepared, but one thing that you can do, is boil plenty of water. This can help with warm drinks, broth, and such to keep you with fluids, and warmth. You should probably call someone and ask them for a light.

Water at this point and if its heated or not will be important if your power goes out, also fill your tubs and sinks with the hot water, as it will not freeze as fast. Before it gets any worse, you should find anyone to help you.

Driving conditions will only get worse, and you will then realize you should have done something sooner. Good luck to you. I live in the boonies, and getting on the back roads was terror with the winds and freezing drizzle, my windshield kept freezing with ice. SO, please pull any resources you have, even go to the survival thread here on ATS, they have great info there.
BTW I am also here in MO, so I know this is going to get really bad.
Peace, NRE.
edit on 1-2-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: add

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseekerWhat are others doing to prepare for this winter storm. This reminds me a little of the day after tomorrow. The storm looks like it will hit all but the southern states and western states.

I just make sure the animals are all taken care of with plenty of hay water and such...we have wood stoves for heat light and cooking if need be.

These old farmhouses are drafty though it's not the temp that gets to us here it’s the wind that makes the house cool off really fast.

Honestly I worry more about my cows and goats than I do us - I locked all the milk goats in the barn for the night and all the pygmies are in the basement birthing pens we have down there (they had kids on Xmas day) the cows are all standing in the walk-in with the horses eating a round bail I put out today.

I will put out one more in the AM just in case it will last them another 3 days. I do worry about the chickens though because they have heat lamps in their coop and -10 on Weds is pretty cold for them if there should be no power.

I guess I can put them in the basement if need be - be messy but better than losing them. I do so love my working girls and their eggs.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

What you can do, is to call your local Police Dept. ask them if they can refer you to any available shelters in your area.

Remember, this is already a serious weather situation and best to cover your bases before you get stuck without heat or any way to care for your self safely.

If you do decide to rough it, which I do not recommend for you, take the advice given by another member and fill everything you have with clean fresh water, fill your bathtub as back up, even to flush toilets. You can place bags in toilet after the last flush and go in those, loosly tie them off after each time and save your water for other important things.

Remember, people are basically good natured and will help if they know you need it, trust.

Now call your local PD and ask where the shelters are in your area.

I am worried about you.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by GodofWar411

I just heard thunder rumble; I swear or it could be the wind. They did say there will be thunder snow. This makes me wish I would have been approved for that apartment with the wood burning firepace.

It must have been something else since the storm hasn't really arrived in MO yet,we have had a little glazing of ice, but the storm still approaches.

Current US Doppler radar:
weather.com

It's been 2 hours since you posted not having a light, really how far is the nearest gas station or any store from you?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
WEll we now have Thunder Sleet! It is 146 am and its heeeere...

Yes thunder and heavy sleet, like sharp rain droplets that sting when I place my hand out to catch.

Can you imagine the tornadoes if it happens?

I am going to bed.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I'm not in Missouri, but I use to live in SW Mo. We had 30" in 1970. The weatherman forcast "snow flurries". Will never forget that. The weatherman was Lee George.
It was really fun. Of course, I was 15 and threw all the animals in it, like my kitty and my little dog.
Just a ornery teenager. And now I'm just an ornery 55 year old.

My niece is still back there and called me out here in Oregon freakin out. She said it was sleeting and snowing and thunderstormin!! I said, oh, it is called thundersnowsleeting. At least I got her to laugh.
She is at work.

They are all prepared. In Joplin anyway. They have already started sanding around there on the main roads I'm sure. I know, I use to drive to work in it all the time. But hey, if ya can't pay your rent, I'm sure your landlord will understand.
Have fun, the area in Oregon where I live, we rarely get snow, but it is only 20 mins. away if I want to go. I kinda miss it back there. Goin back this year prolly. Take Care and enjoy the snow and maybe a day off for snow ice cream. Mmmmm.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Ya all must be on the Western side of the state. Buckle up and stay safe. I would rather not think about tornadoes, ice is bad enough.

St. Louis, MO (KSDK) - Metro is troubleshooting an event that left a train full of passengers stranded on a MetroLink bridge in Brentwood Monday night. The train was headed to Shrewsbury when it lost power due to ice on the overhead feeder lines. It took Metro 90 minutes to two hours to get those passengers off the train to safety.

Metrolink passengers stranded on train for 2 hours

Ice is bad bad bad!!!! This was not caused by the storm but from freezing precipitation that moved threw Monday evening.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I know I can not offer huge amount of advice, however I just wanted to wish you (and everyone over there) good luck... I really hope your power does not go out..

reply to post by stardust1955

We had a weatherman like that in the UK (Michael Fish) on one occasion he got a call about a hurricane and went out of his way to reassure the whole country that there would be no hurricane.. I'll let you guess what happened a few hours later

ETA... I lot of my colleagues and friends in Aberdeen got to see some thundersnow
they say it is really cool..
edit on 1/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

No I am 50 miles north of Springfield.
We had 2 inches per hour for a while and now the winds have kicked up so its hard to tell with the snow drifts how much we are actually getting.

Crazy stuff, but we are fine.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm in St. Louis where it's supposed to be one of the hardest hit. They're saying between 12" and 20" of snow. I just got back from taking my daughter to work. The roads are mostly deserted. I only saw a handfull of other cars on the road. No heavy snow yet, just sleet.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I live in High Ridge Missouri and I have head now that the Governer has declared a state of emergency
and the Shopping Malls closed last night which should tell you just how bad it is.
I am getting ready to venture out to see how the roads are so far.

If anyone lives nearby and needs anything, let me know.
I could use some firewood.
I'll gladly trade a couple of loaves of home made bread for a couple of arms full of firewood.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by dreamseekerWho else is in Missouri?

I have a farm in NW MO.

All quiet here so far - a little freezing rain; took a trip to town for some pine bedding for the goats since I was out and it's supposed to get to the negatives on Weds (that was about 3 hours ago). HWY 65 was a little slippery in some spots but the salt trucks were out and running.

I picked up a few things at the gocery store - shelves well stocked still, plenty of milk bread etc... I don't need to buy milk or eggs we get our own fresh every day!

No one seemed to be making a run for things here; then again I think people out here keep more stufff on hand.

School was canceled already for tomorrow.

I used to take fishing trips up around Cameron. I live in Southern California these days.
Y'all be safe out there! Hope everyone stocked up! I've already called out to KC & I
hear it's a bad one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join