It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's Last-Standing ISP Goes Dark

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Egypt's Last-Standing ISP Goes Dark

www.wired.com

A small Egyptian ISP that continued sputtering along after the government ordered Egypt off the internet Friday is now offline.

Security researcher Renesys said Monday the Noor Group, believed to be the last Egyptian ISP in operation, had provided access to the aviation, banking and financial sectors — including the Egyptian stock market.

“They are completely unavailable at present
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It looks like the plug has been completely pulled in Egypt now. The citizens there must be going nuts without any information coming in at all. I guess the government wants to alleviate the situation by making it difficult for the people to communicate. I'd say this is what we have to look forward to as well.

I did do a search so mods please remove this if it has already been posted.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/31/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Egypt is a small place compared to the world scene. Maybe the motive is to keep information from leaving Egypt via the internet rather than information coming in.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

This is not good news.

My heart goes out.

This is for info coming in, and info coming out.

My heart goes out.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I agree with you. Being kept in the dark about almost anything is extremely scary.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Yes, and I think that whatever the "cause" of the government,
its hard on those left within, in the dark.

Let us focus our thoughts, prayers and love towards them.
Maybe they will feel it as strength coming in even without the power lines.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

They have my thoughts and prayers as well. I knew they shut some down earlier in the week, but to shut every last one of them off is frightening.

Most of us take for granted that things like this can't happen these days. I hope their situation improves very quickly.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Yes. Hey I just found this, I am posting it as maybe anyone searching will read this,
and pass it on. This is what made Google great. I wish they would return to humble roots.

Google launches Twitter workaround for Egypt

It’s already live and anyone can tweet by simply leaving a voicemail on one of
these international phone numbers

+16504194196

or

+390662207294

or

+97316199855

and the service will instantly tweet the message using the hashtag #egypt.

No Internet connection is required. People can listen to the messages by dialing the same phone numbers or going to twitttertwitter.com...

Google launched a special service to allow people in Egypt to send Twitter messages by dialing a phone number and leaving a voicemail, as Internet access remains cut off in the country amid anti-government protests.

"Like many people we've been glued to the news unfolding in Egypt and thinking of what we could do to help people on the ground," read a post on Google's official corporate blog on Monday.

The service, which Google said was developed with engineers from Twitter, allows people to dial a telephone number and leave a voicemail. The voicemail is automatically translated into an audio file message that is sent on Twitter using the identifying tag egypt, Google said.

www.business-standard.com...
edit on 31-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Cutting off communications is more like creating a prison environment that breeds even more apathy against Egypt's leaders.

Mubarek must be senile....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Very awesome! Thanks for that info. I am glad someone is trying to help improve their situation.

Star for you!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

I guess governments all over the world make the same mistakes...

They underestimate the power of the people!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

It looks like the plug has been completely pulled in Egypt now. The citizens there must be going nuts ...

Maybe they are going sane...

... maybe if we all unplugged from the interntet. Sat down had a meal with our family, talked with our neighbors, connected with those arounds us... maybe... just maybe... some of the insanity we are alowing to go on in our governments would be brough to a screeching halt

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
there are so many potential scenarios developing, it's not even funny.
who knows what's going on in there. i do hope they have a tally on their current population and the various groups. blackouts are usually when the really bad stuff starts to happen. like we didn't hear about stalin's purges for over 40 years because the country and its files on stalin were locked up tight for most of that time. during the black out, he did all kinds of horrendous things and encouraged his soldiers to do alot of horrendous things as well. such as starving the entire farming community to death, first by taking their crops and then coming back the next year and taking their seeds. they all literally, starved to death. when other people went there, they found survivors eating each other.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

You do realize isolation tend to induce psychosis. Classic example is what happens to the mind in solitary confinement.

A global community grows to better understanding by sharing information, not by suppressing it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
To me the systematic blocking of information flow is damned sinister.

Apparently they have also cut off cell service as well, so I doubt that google/twitter work around will hold for long.

What's next? Expelling all media? Then the interior security forces do what? Attack the protesters, square off against the regular army which has swore not to fire on protesters?

This could get ugly as hell really quick.
edit on 31-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: get

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
Maybe they are going sane...

... maybe if we all unplugged from the interntet. Sat down had a meal with our family, talked with our neighbors, connected with those arounds us... maybe... just maybe... some of the insanity we are alowing to go on in our governments would be brough to a screeching halt

although family togetherness is a good thing, i'd be a bit more wary of using that as a rationale for what's happening. dunno if you're a believer or not, but the people stalin starved to death, were christians. during his purges he killed 50,000,000 people, including christians, muslims, jews and his competition or perceived competition, and an additional 150 random people a day, who had been turned in by their own neighbors, sometimes for no reason other than they didn't like their neighbors. it was the salem witch trials on steroids.

oh and his excuse was, that he was going to force people to realize there's no god, and that their prayers did nothing to save them from their imperious leader. when i hear things like this egyptian blackout, i get worried for the entire citizenry, even the atheists who disagree could end up on the hot seat. i sure hope the net gets turned back on there, SOON! i'm worried for them.
edit on 1-2-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

You do realize isolation tend to induce psychosis. Classic example is what happens to the mind in solitary confinement.

A global community grows to better understanding by sharing information, not by suppressing it.

The very technology we think is uniting us is actually driving us further apart than ever. The globalization agenda is about preaching ecology as a means of uniting to for a tax base for a world government. Education is a means of propaganda, not learning.

Dad zombied on the TV, mom on her laptop, kids playing PS3 and tweeting.... We are loosing contact with each other while falling for the transhumanistic globalization that allows control of the masses by the few.

Globalization benefits the rich, not the masses. Communities benefit the individual. Human interpersonal interaction grows the spirit and the psyche.

We are allowing the illusion of community to overwhelm the reality of our increasing isolation.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Exactly correct, IMO.

The internet/wired world just may be a large part of the problem,rather than the solution. The human soul and spirit should not be and can not be distilled into a constant stream of facebook status updates and tweets.

If the spirit of the people truly are behind this revolt, they can overcome the loss of internet service easily.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
cutting off the net now would be a very bad idea, not only because the world situation is heating up everywhere, but because the ability to do irreparable harm to large groups of people is so easy in todays' age of technological nightmares. to suggest the people should be the only ones not able to learn what's going on globally or share information, sounds like an agenda to me, an agenda that is not people friendly at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

This is good but its not going to work - the government is already shutting down the phone networks too, and I am sure they are watching those numbers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join