It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive winter system spans 2,000 miles, threatens Midwest cities

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

the info at this link might help? it's 2007 but...

www.sbe24.org...

Civil Danger Warning (CDW) A warning of an event that presents a danger to a significant civilian population. The CDW, which usually warns of a specific hazard and gives specific protective action, has a higher priority than the Local Area Emergency (LAE). Examples include contaminated water supply and imminent or in-progress military or terrorist attack. Public protective actions could include evacuation, shelter in place, or other actions (such as boiling contaminated water or seeking medical treatment).

Could this be right?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I wish I knew how to upload photos on here, I just took a bunch. I was in the path of this massive snownami. Here in my neck of the woods we got about 12 inches but have drifts as high as 5 feet. My roommates car is buried. I have no idea how I am gonna get my pug to go outside tomorrow to potty. It's pretty for sure, but our city is completely shut down as well as I-70 from Blue Springs to St. Louis. I live in the Kansas City metro area. Just southeast of us they have even more snow. There is a wonderful lake down there, planning on road tripping to the area this weekend to take the Jeep off road and snap some more awesome pics at the lake of this massive storm. Hope everyone is well and safe, we have some killer winds and wind chills well below zero, but no power loss. Thank goodness!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

It does look like your zip is under

Civil Danger Warning
Blizzard Warning
Hazardous Weather Outlook

forecast.weather.gov...

this is your CWD

Civil Danger Warning

WIC021-025-027-039-045-047-049-055-059-065-077-079-089-101-105-
111-117-127-131-133-021145-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
CIVIL DANGER WARNING
WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN
WISCONSIN
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
1241 AM CST WED FEB 2 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE
WISCONSIN EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN
WISCONSIN.

DRIVING IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS TONIGHT ON ALL ROADS IN SOUTHERN
WISCONSIN. IF YOU BECOME STRANDED...EMERGENCY VEHICLES MAY NOT BE
ABLE TO REACH YOU.

IF YOU ARE STRANDED...DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE. RUN YOUR VEHICLE
10 MINUTES PER HOUR...AND CRACK A DOWNWIND WINDOW FOR VENTILATION.

$$
KAPELA/SEARS

edit on 2/2/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

It must be. I edited my above post to include a link for the alerts in the surrounding areas. Many/most have the 'Civil Alert Warning' included.

I remember the broadcast alert system saying something about in the event of a real emergency, the warning would be followed with instructions. Not this time. Nothing, besides 'Civil Alert Warning'. Over, and over, and over. Every 5 minutes, or so. No instruction, direction, details. Nothing. That, right there, is enough to wake me up!

Am I remembering the alert system test, incorrectly? Shouldn't it give some details, or something?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

So, basically 'go outside, you die'.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Is it just me or is this an unusually low low on the map?

edit on 2-2-2011 by jaynkeel because: fix link

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

It should, but if it's like ours

It looks like you should just stay inside. Scary stuff. Please stay safe.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I am finding it hard to go to bed tonight as I do not want the fire to die down in the fireplace. I am in the Southwest corner of New Mexico, just a stones throw from El Paso, TX. The wind is howling through everything in gusts and the precipitation is coming down as iceballs (looks like Styrofoam). A current reading of temp in Las Cruces is showing at 18.5 degrees (someone put "but feels like 18" LOL). Estimated low should reach 13 degrees .

It is horrible for us, we have very thin blood here! I may have to bequeath my holdings to anyone who can find my body! LOL, I am poor so hold onto those shovels!

I am only joking because I can barely feel my fingers. I hope everyone else is safe and sound and please do not go outside, bring any animals in, even the dog that may "live out there" should be protected! I do hope my chickens are not chicken nuggets by morning!

Night, this may be the little storm if another one comes, but until then it is a biggie! Super-size me they say!

edit on 2/2/2011 by Greensage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
oops. duplicate post (from earlier)
edit on 2-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
If it were only the earth.... maybe they might have a point.
But why is Mars warming also?
Why is Jupiter warming?
Maybe Neptune???
Triton
Saturn, Pluto... on and on...

Because the heat from the warmer earth radiates through space and warms up the neighboring planets.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Texas Panhandle area here. We only got about an inch or two of snow. The roads are clear, but OMG! it's cold! It is -1 F. with a -15 F. windchill!! We have thin blood here too. +35 F. is cold, +25 F. is too stinking cold. Negative digits is just craziness. Turn the thermostat back up outside it ain't funny no more. We rarely see single digits, not even yearly. Below zero is almost unheard of here. It only happens once or twice a century.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Reminds me of stories my grandmother used to tell when she was growing up in Northern MN. Storms that were so brutal they had to use ropes to maneuver between buildings on the farm, else get lost in the blizzards. Children getting lost on the way to school and not being found until spring thaw, just to name a few. The Midwest US used to have massive winter storms as a matter of course, perhaps the weather patterns/cycles are shifting back? Take care, those of you who will be affected.

That reminds me of the winters where I grew up in SE Wisconsin in the mid-1950s through the 1960s. Snow would drift four to five feet deep or more. Temperatures dropped to 20 below zero fahrenheit (with no wind chill factored in) for two weeks at a time. I almost froze one winter while in Jr. High. Walked across a snow covered 30 acre farmers field heading home from a friend's home one evening as snow fell and the wind picked up. Couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me. Kept walking in a straight line and finally arrived home about 45 minutes alter. My hands were so cold I couldn't move my fingers. Wasn't able to grasp and turn the door knob. The old farm house which was built in the 1890s didn't have a door bell. The small foyer / mud room separating the outer door from the door into the main house not only kept the cold out but also muffled sounds from outside. After 15 minutes of banging on the door someone finally heard and let me in. Close call. My angels were watching.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

[Because the heat from the warmer earth radiates through space and warms up the neighboring planets.

That sounds as plausible as all the other techno drivel they spew to convince the gullible, and under-informed. It's all about $$$. Don't think for a minute that the mainstream green movement has the interest of the planet at heart. It's all about the benjamins baby.
Unfortunately good natured, well intending people have fallen for the green fad hook, line, and sinker. They rush forth with their battle cry: "Save the planet!!!" While the corporatists behind the movement whisper, "That's right you dolt, 'Save the planet.' While I bank like a mobster, and fly around in my G6."
Most intellectually honest scientists think right now that we are experiencing a cyclical change in the heliosphere. Thus the rising of temps system wide, not just on earth. But don't tell the greenies that, they have been programmed to attack you for such blasphemy.
We DO need to take care of our environment, and we DO have to be responsible, and we are NOT doing it for the most part, but the ways, and means of doing it correctly have been hopelessly derailed by corporate interests, and their brain washed, programmed, green zombie minion hordes.
What good would their money be if the environment were rendered inhospitable for human life? It could happen, not likely, but within the realm of possibility. The worst humans could do is wipe themselves out, and take a few weaker species of flora, and fauna with them. Within 10,000 years, or probably less, the planet would forget we ever existed. We would be like a squeezed pimple on the earth's butt. To "Save the planet." is to assume we could do it lasting harm to begin with. On both accounts we cannot. The slogan should be "Save ourselves." but no group in history has ever been interested in that. No money in it.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Central Iowa here...

I live in the country and looking at the snow drift all the way up my garage door makes me think it may be a while before I can get anywhere. Even when I get the driveway cleared out, I know from experience, it may be a day before the county will get the gravel road cleared before I can get to the main highway.

Yes, this is a big storm but I have seen it much worse.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I feel guilty because I'm in the SE Illinois area and all we have is ice on the grass. I'm NOT joking. For some reason where I live, everyone around us gets mass snow and we get nothing. If we DO, it's a half inch and melted by the next day and then no 'snow' for a week or more. Winter has been in the 40's with a few nights of 25 or so. I moved here from Chicago area and YES the winters SUCKED there. I don't know why we miss all the snow all the time. Heck, in a few hours we could have 3 inches or more. But it's odd how every one has so much snow and I just went outside to enjoy a smoke and saw grass still.

We DO have winds at about 14 mph however so it made the face a little chilly. But it's so ODD how it all goes around us. Edwards County, Illinois. That's where I'm at.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Same here basically, I'm in southern Indiana, and it just started snowing not very long ago, but looks like its stopped now. Pretty much nothing though. I can see all the grass sticking up through the thin layer of snow.

Actually, about 8 O'clock last night. it was still very icey out. Then around 9:30 or 10, it was raining but had warmed up to around 33 F. Then a couple hours later some strong winds came, and most of the ice that had covered all of the trees, and well covered everything, was mostly melted off. Im sure there's still some bad parts out there on the roads, but nothing compared to North and Northeast.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
This storm was a monster! I had to drive in it. Ferocious and blistery winds that literally shook my car like it was a toy, zero visibility for long stretches, thunder and lightening which followed with 3-4 inches and hour, tons of cars off to the side in the ditch stranded, numerous episodes of getting stuck, and I saw few snowplows and emergency services. The predictions were right on the money with this and it started in Chicago at about 3 pm as stated by meteorologists. I live about an hour west out of the city, and I thought that I had enough time to beat it. It happened so fast, because on the eve of the storm it was barely snowing. Perhaps, it was the calm before the storm? People thought they could put a few more hours in at work, or travel in it like normal? Oh, how wrong they were, and that includes myself.

The hour it usually takes for me to get to my destination, became 6 hours with anxiety about getting stranded and running out of gas. Thank goodness, I was able to circumvent disaster and made it home. There is really no telling when people who got stuck would be rescued. It seems emergency services were having a difficult time getting to people? To put things into perspective, I turned on the radio and it said that Lake Shore Drive was closed and people said they were waiting in their cars for hours. There was quite a few that just abandoned their cars and went out into the whiteout as out of frustration at the perceived lack of response by the Chicago emergency services. For those leaving cars, they were playing with their lives. To sum it up, I am fairly experienced with harsh winters, but this storm was unlike any I have ever seen.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
EPIC FAIL on weather predicting here in western New York. We got enough snow to make a footprint. Some storm of the century. Guess Buffalo can finally lose the reputation of snowy city and you folks south and west can have the title. Hope everyones ok. But around here it's funny because they have shut everything down in anticipation, schools, work, government offices.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Is it just me or is this winter just amazing?

(I grew up in Alaska so I love winter)

This storm stretches from New York to New Mexico... Hard to get your mind around how colossal this storm has become.

Have any ATS members been affected by it yet?

Seems to me we're experiencing a little "climate change" right now! Some of my relatives in Alaska are talking about how mind the winter has been... while down here we are getting pounded!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

So, I was stationed on Antartica in the late 80's. While there, I saw storms that were bigger than the entire US continent (radar pictures). Now we are seeing simular sized storms up here. I wonder if it relates to the magnetic poles. The magnetic pole at the time I was there was several hundred miles from the geographic pole and there was lot's of talk about the ozone getting larger as a result of the fluorocarbons etc. Perhaps there is a correlation. The current huge sunspot is creating a solar storm this week too... 2+2=4 maybe?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I am new here and was wondering if anybody has noticed that the websites for weather and space to the government have gone out since the winter storm started brewing? Was the winter storm made with Chemtrails or HAARP?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join