It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive winter system spans 2,000 miles, threatens Midwest cities

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarLightStarBright2
reply to post by berkeleygal

What a neat map Thanks!...I to bookmarked it.Your cat is beautiful!

This storm sounds really scary,i live in ca. so we wont see it,but my prayers are with all of you ,stay safe and warm.

Berkeley, such a nice city, i see you are in Bay Area, watch for those rainbow clouds in the next couple of months.
And this weather all around the globe is insane!!! Volcanoes erupting everywhere, what is really going?
edit on 1-2-2011 by ruffagii because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
11.30pm here in sydney australia. we are in the middle of a heatwave. its still 35 degrees (95f in your speak) and thats at nearly midnight after reaching 42 (108f in your speak) during the day. we have a cat 4 ( maybe 5) cyclone (hurricane in your speak) bearing down on the queensland coast and predicted to hit in 24 hours.

crazy crazy crazy!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

It really is insane!

Originally posted by punterdeb
11.30pm here in sydney australia. we are in the middle of a heatwave. its still 35 degrees (95f in your speak) and thats at nearly midnight after reaching 42 (108f in your speak) during the day. we have a cat 4 ( maybe 5) cyclone (hurricane in your speak) bearing down on the queensland coast and predicted to hit in 24 hours.

crazy crazy crazy!

Just what Austraila needs... more rain!

Don't drown on us! Or melt!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm in the north east, Northern New York in the St. Lawrence Valley. Light snow here, 6 degrees F. We're supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow in this big storm. The heavier accumulations of snow start about a hundred miles south of where I am. We don't seem to get the big accumulations of snow that we used to get. All I have to say to the people who are getting a lot of snow, Man, you're lucky.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
watched the local weather guy last night and he said we shouldn't get anything but drizzly rain. Illinois is such a strange state...just 30 minutes from here they are supposed to get 12" of snow and we are getting nothing..it should be in the 40's here day..but thursday drop to 8F.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
www.unknowncountry.com... The global superstorm may be unavoidable now.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I am sitting here in the Detroit area waiting to see what happens, we missed the last major storm about a month ago and hopefully this one will stay south of us, nothing going on here right now, we had a dusting of snow during the night, I went out a while ago and everything is clear.

I have been through some major storms in the past, the good news if you want to call it that is that is we are prepared and the snow removal people are always on top of it.

There is no reason for me to go out in the next few days, I have everything I need, if power is lost we have huge generators in my apartment building as well, but since it would be half power more then likely can't get on the internet.

Good luck to all who will be affected by this storm, stay safe and stay in.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm in part of this storm .. ( Ohio ) .. woke up to everything covered in a layer of ice, not quite a half inch thick yet.. but they say another band of ice is on the way and we'll probably see upwards of an inch of ice on the ground followed by a couple of inches of snow on top of it.

There have been some power outages but so far not me, I'm home safe with everything charged up!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I live an hour west of Chicago where snowstorms are the norm. I was just saying how we have seemed to have dodged every bullet this winter......every storm has either gone north or south of us so far.
This one is probably going to make up for all of that.....we are supposed to have at least 14 inches with up to 24 inches in some areas. On top of all of that add strong winds with gusts up to 50 miles per hour! As I write this the school district has already sent out automatic calls stating that it will be an early dismissal today & no school tomorrow.
Yesterday they were saying that this storm was going to be in the top ten for amount of snowfall. Now they are saying it could be the biggest ever!
I say bring it on!!!!...I still love snow days!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Central Texas checking back in. Currently 23 degrees with a wind chill of 12 and temps are just going to get colder and colder tonight.

We had a wee bit of ice, enough to close the schools down for the day( YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!).

Early this morning (1:30ish AM) we had a huge storm, I have some storm damage.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I woke up this morning at 04 and looked outside to see no snow. I decided calling into work: "I'm scared of the weather report and don't want to drive an hour in the cold" would not rest well on my conscience. So, I left at about 0415 and got to work about 0530. My shift started at 06, and we was working for all of about twenty minutes when I noticed it was snowing outside. An hour later, I'm digging pallets out of two inches of snow.

0945 rolls around and our senior worker/supervisor (manager was placed "on leave, indefinitely" for reasons I can only speculate at) tells us that those of us living farther away or to the south and east are given the option of leaving post-haste, as the company/owner doesn't want us to be stranded. By time we wrap up and head out, it's about 1015.

I-70 was mostly clear, but spotty where snow was drifting - up to about mile marker 60 (Missouri), where things just started decaying pretty rapidly. I was still quite comfortable cruising along at 50 - but I was going quite a bit faster than most people considered comfortable (as I was both A) on the road, and B) passing people). Visibility was clear to about 100 meters and ended about 175-225 meters (or yards - I just prefer metric despite being used to conversing in the standard).

I, literally, used my Corolla to plow the exit onto the junction with 65 highway. That was fun at 35 mph. 65 was worse than 70 - but had a more steady flow of local traffic (strangely enough) to keep the right lane fairly clear. I roll into town about 1145 and boat through the apartment parking lot, maintain my forward momentum and just park in a region next to a car that resembles parking. I got out of the car and stepped -up- into snow.

I probably will not be going anywhere tomorrow. My car handles snow pretty well, and goes forward through snow pretty well... but will get stuck going backwards in a hurry (part of the way the chassis is angled to place weight and traction on the front wheels).

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Don't mean to be a jerk but I'm okay with this. ...Temperatures for most of the past 1 1/2 months have been -40 C with windchill here in Winterpeg, sometimes colder. Even my dog has cabin fever. When this storm hits the Midwest, we're (supposedly) warming up to a balmy -5 C. ...I can hardly wait.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I'm in Detroit too we always seem to get missed. It's been a long time since we had a really bad snow storm. Late 80's early 90's we use to get them all the time.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
East Texas Reporting in....

Current Temps as of 1:33 PM Central Standard Time: 30°F

This morning while I was walking to the bus transfer station, it was a wet 65°F. While walking, the cold front hit and the temp dropped 20°F to around 40°F-45°F, I barely made it to the station without being completely drenched with rain.

As I got to work the temp began to drop to our current levels (30°F). Skies are cloudy, still waiting for the white stuff to fall from the heavens and coat things here. Not sure if that will happen though, it IS Texas, after all.

Next few days do not look too good, time to hibernate, I'm thinking.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
reply to post by Analyzing

I grew up a few hundred miles from HAARP (I grew up in Fairbanks Alaska)...

So if that were true would everyone in Alaska be more Psychic?

I'm not sure about psychic, perhaps psychotic...kidding...mostly...I met quite a few "characters" in my youth in Alaska.

I grew up in Fairbanks too (left in '77, but you knew that).

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome

I'm in Detroit too we always seem to get missed. It's been a long time since we had a really bad snow storm. Late 80's early 90's we use to get them all the time.

You are right, in fact in the early 2000's our winters were very mild, average temps in the 40's, did you notice we didn't get our January thaw this year. At this point we will have to wait and see what happens, hopefully it won't be as bad as they say it could be. I was just looking out from my 10th floor balcony and everything looks great right now. Also wantsome people in this area seem to get through these storms and not make such a big deal out of it. I am in Royal Oak and they do a great job of keeping our roads clear, since I live on a through street we get priority.

You may be too young or maybe not born but still remember a storm in the early sixties where everything was down for a week, my poor little VW was buried, I lived in the New Center area and worked downtown Detroit and was also attending Wayne State U at the time, I went no where for almost a week. Six feet of snow on the freeways, it was amazing.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I live in Western New York we get blizzards annually.Sometimes like in "77 and again in '85 we get clobbered .Everyone around here knows when you hear it's coming get out your blizzard kit and hunker down It'll be over in a couple of days.These storms have happened in the past and they will happen in the future.Learn how to prepare and they are no problem.Around here they are a reason to stay in and party.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

Good luck to you in Australia. Lots going on there lately with bad weather. Hope the cyclone fizzles out before it hits, wishful thinking. Take care.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

This is looking at our front door after I made a path. It's still coming down pretty hard! Probably nothing to a lot of you in the northern cities and stuff, but it's insane for Northeast Oklahoma!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze
reply to post by Analyzing

I grew up a few hundred miles from HAARP (I grew up in Fairbanks Alaska)...

So if that were true would everyone in Alaska be more Psychic?

I think you mean psychotic. Just kiddin' ya!!

But verily....if one can be more psychic...perhaps one could be more psychotic...or sociopathic???

I'm jus' sayin'....

Jason

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join