It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive winter system spans 2,000 miles, threatens Midwest cities

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Fort Worth, Texas here. We didn't have too much snow (maybe 4 inches) but we did have plenty of ice. I don't know how much, but it was enough to pretty much shut half of everything down, including a lot of resturants. I think every school (or just about every school) is closed, and has been since Tuesday. It isn't supposed to get over freezing until Friday afternoon, so the odds are good schools will be closed through Friday because the ice isn't able to melt.

It started Monday night as rain, then turned to Thundersleet, then snow. I've been through rain then sleet, or sleet then snow, but never rain-sleet-snow. That was really weird. It lasted a good 5-6 hours. Today we've had wind chills below 0F, and the low tomorrow is supposed to be 11F. They said on TV that this is the coldest it has been here in 15 years. I've lived here my entire life, and I've never seen this much ice or it this cold. There's a chance for more snow on Friday. Oh joy.

We've also had rolling blackouts because the power companies are having trouble keeping up with the demand because some of their plants were knocked out by the ice. Most of my friends have experienced several blackouts, usually last 2-3 hours. I know a lot of the hospitals are having trouble coping with it, too, even though they're supposed to be exempt from things like this.

The Superbowl is supposed to take place in Arlington (so close its pretty much the same city) on Sunday, so of course the main thing the news stations are worried about is the events/radio broadcasts that have had to be canceled because they were set to take place outside. I guess its a good thing that, as of now, its supposed to be near 60F on Sunday, otherwise people might have to make the difficult decision of whether they want to stay inside, or risk possible injury and go to their precious football game.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I live in SE WI,where we got 20+" here.
Its my birthday(Yay~!~) and i spent it shoveling for 5 hours.

This is the worst storm ive seen living in WI,and we have had our share.

Dont know how to link the photos i have,needless to say,we had snow preventing us from getting out of the house and the windows on the 1st floor were cmpletly snow covered.

edit on 2-2-2011 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
I live in SE WI,where we got 20+" here.
Its my birthday(Yay~!~) and i spentit shoveling for 5 hours.

This is the worst storm ive seen living in WI,and we have had our share.

Heres a pic from the front of our house this morning.

the link is not working .. i would like to see it

happy birthday by the way .. ahah 5 hrs shoveling

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Chicago here. Posted this in another thread but it got buried. I'm in the garage looking toward the street thinking about how and where to put all of this snow!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

&

&

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Ya know what would have made the perfect B-day present?
Having Al Gore shoveling this mess.

Global warming my.....

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Once again for those who can't understand a simple notion : global warming doesn't mean litteraly "everything's getting warmer", it's an expression for an extreme weather change (ie : very hot or very cold).

Get your facts straight, read before rant.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JMech

It looks pretty much the same here In Northern Indiana. I won't be able to dig my car out for some time.

Great pic - I was going to take pics today but didn't want to go out there yet.
edit on 2-2-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Thanks. When I first woke I thought it would be bad, then I saw that! Hard to find a place to start. Saved the drift behind the white car for last and by then I was'nt a happy guy. Hope you got out

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

Could not agree with you more. We already have great technologies ready to roll out now that can do everything we need to do now while using half or less of the resources. The problem is political agenda, and the expense of resetting a lot of our infrastructure, and our mindset. The infrastructure is actually the easiest hurdle. The mindset, and politics won't change until we start killing ourselves off by the droves.

Just because we do have enough energy resources for now doesn't mean we should be squandering them. Why take 2 or 3 times more fuel to accomplish something that can be done with less, and produce fewer pollutants? Of course we all know that big energy is big, big money. In my opinion the mainstream green movement of Al Gore, and his galloping hordes is to distract people who would put their effort into something more productive, and that would produce true positive change.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join