It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tracks of two prehistoric birds found in Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Fossilized tracks from two newly discovered prehistoric birds have been found in Alaska’s Denali National Park, according to findings released by an expert in Arctic paleontology.
www.winnipegsun.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Wow that's a cool post. Thanks! Too bad there were no pictures of the tracks. I would really love to see the tracks and maybe a reconstuction of what the birds might have looked like.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

The birds are considered new species and now have names given by Fiorillo and his team — “Magnoavipes denaliensis,” incorporating the park’s name for a bird that left especially large tracks, and “Gruipeda vegrandiunis,” roughly translating to “tiny one,” for a bird that left small tracks.

A Little more information for those passing through. I like how scientists are so general, "BIG ONE, SMALL ONE".

Thousands of prehistoric bird tracks have been found there, but what is particularly important is the variety.

I guess Alaska has always been a place of wilderness and life for somewhere so far north.

edit on 31-1-2011 by AudioGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Fiorillo and colleagues from the University of Texas and the University of Alaska Fairbanks calculate that Alaska held about 500,000 hadrosaurs at any given time during that period — roughly equivalent to modern caribou populations in Alaska [SNIP] The methane produced from the hadrosaurs, each of which emitted about 10 times as much of the gas as a modern cow, combined to create a small greenhouse effect and incrementally warm the region, the research speculates.

from the same article

smelled like crap to I guess

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I hate it when they don't post pictures!
Great story though...beleive it or not I study bird tracks..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha…you got to love scientists! Being a scientist now a days is the best job in the world. You need no proof. You need no facts. You need no evidence. All you need is a vivid imagination and an agenda. I quote…”The methane produced from the hadrosaurs, each of which emitted about 10 times as much of the gas as a modern cow, combined to create a small greenhouse effect and incrementally warm the region, the research speculates.” I wish I had a job I could make up answers for.

top topics

join