It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ga. Lawmaker Proposes Doing Away With Driver's Licenses

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

So just to comprehend your thoughts about "traveling on the land" are you saying that airline pilots shouldn't have to be trained or licensed as well? How about Air Force pilots? Or professional drivers such as taxicab; livery car? Should someone with 5 DUI's be able to pick you up in a cab; or fly a plane?
reply to post by zcflint05

Actually, I believe these examples you cite would fall quite comfortably under the legitimate regulatory powers of congress, being commercial "driving" rather than "traveling." Interesting you should use these examples, as they kind of illustrate the types of "driving" that may Constitutionally be regulated and licensed.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
A little off topic but has to do with roads and driving privileges and how the US FEDS get involved with our driving.
In Kentucky we have a gubenatorial Candidate named Gatewood Galbraith runs all the time. All you guys on here would LOVE HIM!!!!! Google stuff he has done.
I happen to have known the man personally for 15 years. He is Amazing. He was in High TImes with Willie Nelson when it was a black and white paper rag(somehow their eyes still appeared red:lol
Anyway, he wants to regulate and tax cannabis here. I mean it is a fact it is a multi- billion dollar industry from this state alone.

Kentucky State Sen. Joey Pendelton has announced that he will propose a hemp law for Kentucky during the next session of the General Assembly, legalizing industrial hemp as a cash crop here in Kentucky. While I applaud his efforts it still leaves our Kentucky’s 4.47 billion dollar marijuana industry in the hands of the bad guys.

(Um yeah we get a bad rap here as a bunch of hillbilly's but you should see our houses and our horse barns, haha. Google the million dollar horse barns. Read "A Bluegrass Cnspiracy" by Sally Denton.Every listen to Rand Paul or Mitch McConnel? WOnder why their voices sound so "high" pitched? Haha JUST KIDDING about the last.)
I digress. Anyways Gatewood says that the US GOvt threatens him every year that if he is elected and he does it that KY will lose it funding for Fed Highways...that is how they strong arm. No good roads, no tourism, or truckers, no economy. But Gatewood says we will become the riches state in the UNion with the best DRIVING PRIVILEGES (NOTE
RIVILEGES) and just to piss them off he will make the roads green with a vegetable die made form hemp. HAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by joechip

I'm pretty sure a ''right to travel'' doesn't mean a right to get in a car or plane and drive/fly without any form of qualification.

I'm think that it probably means a right to move around freely without hindrance.

I'm sure the Founding Fathers would be laughing their buttocks off if they could see how some people were attempting to abuse and misuse the Constitution in this way !

edit on 31-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip

So just to comprehend your thoughts about "traveling on the land" are you saying that airline pilots shouldn't have to be trained or licensed as well? How about Air Force pilots? Or professional drivers such as taxicab; livery car? Should someone with 5 DUI's be able to pick you up in a cab; or fly a plane?
reply to post by zcflint05

Actually, I believe these examples you cite would fall quite comfortably under the legitimate regulatory powers of congress, being commercial "driving" rather than "traveling." Interesting you should use these examples, as they kind of illustrate the types of "driving" that may Constitutionally be regulated and licensed.

C'mon, joe...don't try to inject any facts or logic into this argument. And for god's sake don't try to expect anything you say will be examined in an objective and open-minded fashion!

that's just too much to ask...there are too many "progressives" and "liberals" here on ATS for that!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I live in Ga. and the thought of doing away with the requirement of a driver's license is absolutely terrifying.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
And other similar. If "moving with the times" means "more intrusive government" then No.

Requiring a driver's/pilot's license is hardly ''government intrusion''; it is common sense and should be a necessity because of public safety.

There is no necessity to drive a car/fly a plane; you can easily get from ''a'' to ''b'' without personally driving/flying yourself.

No, that's not 'presumably.' No one is saying you have the right to fly a 747--unless you are alone and can afford it.

Why would you have to be on your own ?

On the other hand, if I have an APC and it fits on the roads, why can't I drive it? The second amendment does not say, "Except for artillery."

Because someone getting into an APC, who has no knowledge of how it works, may be a little dangerous.

You can take anything to extremes, make up a silly example, and make fun of it. Rather than "get with the times" how about "getting with the program" and giving a good faith effort to understand what the issues are here.

The extremes are brought up to show the absurdity and irresponsibility in what many people are arguing.

Claiming that needing a drivers'/pilots' licence is ''unconstitutional'' is as valid as saying that not being able to make chemical weapons in a laboratory or flying a fighter-jet without a license is unconstitutional.

These ridiculous ideas from über-constitutionists devalue the legitimate worries of people about unconstitutional legislation.

edit on 31-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarmonicNights

I live in Ga. and the thought of doing away with the requirement of a driver's license is absolutely terrifying.

Yes. Living (and traveling) freely and without a nanny looking over your shoulder and holding your hand at all times can be very frightening to some people.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Everyone but convicts are free to travel as they please in the United States. The licensing is to operate a machine, not to access roads.

Walk, bike, break out a bigwheel and travel anywhere you wish, as these modes of transport do not require any training to use.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Drive across the state line without a DL, insurance, proper ID and see what happens. [snip]

edit on 31/1/11 by masqua because: edited volatile remark

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
What seems to be misunderstood here is the difference between a person being licensed and a person being certified to operate said equipment. Requiring a person to be trained and pass written and practical tests showing knowledge and skill is not only prudent but necessary as well. Thus a certificate of competency should be all that is required.

Licensing can and are restricted at any time deemed warranted by the issuer of said license for any reason whether it is justified or not. No one would want an untrained driver or pilot operating a vehicle or aircraft. However, if certified then you should be able to operate without restrictions (licenses). A license is really only a means to restrict and generate revenue.

To the freeman it is a right, to the slave it is a privilege. Remember the slave can not travel unless given permission by his/her master. The slave has always been required to have a license/seal of their master in order to travel even to the market. Your drivers license is simply your permission to travel granted by your master. Don't believe it, try traveling without permission and they will place you in jail the same as they did years ago with any slave found not having permission to travel.

Will this bill pass...well...its nice to think that it might but in reality doubtful. Just follow the money, TPTB are not about to give up a means too control or generate funds.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Excellent clarification. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
As any good mule could tell you, "Look at the stick, not the carrot."

This is an initial step towards removing the rights of the states to regulate identification and drivers. Who will step in with a universal ID/drivers license after enough states stop licensing? The federal government.

It's just reverse psychology ...a back door on the Federal ID initiative.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

No you didn't just say Stupid Cracker.

That was a very rude comment and racist to boot.

Sounds like something a damn Yankee would say.

I thought better of you.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by comody88

Although I tend to agree with just about any law that gives us more freedom and less gov't restrictions I really don't see how driver licenses are unconstitutional

Because we are FREE citizens. Free citizens shouldn't have to pay for their Rights.We were born with them and now that more and more of our FREEDOMS are being taken away each and every day, it appears law-makers are getting a little fed up with it too and seek a way to 'right' some of the wrongs in this country.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

This man is out of his mind.

I feel sure he will not succeed in his endeavor.

But if he does I'm going to demand that I be allowed to practise Law and Medicine.

I can see it now. Get your divorce and your gall bladder removal in my one stop office.

Oh yes we should all be allowed to prescribe our own medication without a license also.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Technically, driving could fall under pursuit of happiness.

Do we have the right to travel as free citizens?

Well, technically yes.

The 9th Amendment covers the rights held by citizens to be our own and that the Government cannot conceivably list every right held by free citizens.

Then there is Shapiro V. Thompson 394 U.S. 618 (1969) United States Supreme Court case. In this case Justice Steward states the following:

"[T]he right to travel freely from State to State finds constitutional protection that is quite independent of the Fourteenth Amendment."

Chief Justice Taney in Passenger Cases, 48 U. S. 283 (1849) states, and I quote "For all the great purposes for which the Federal government was formed, we are one people, with one common country. We are all citizens of the United States, and, as members of the same community, must have the right to pass and repass through every part of it without interruption, as freely as in our own States."

The right to travel is a held right by the people, protected not only by the 14th Amendment but by the 9th Amendment. The right to international travel falls under different circumstances and is protected under the 5th Amendment but has been found to be subjected to regulation via Congress.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Reply to post by dizziedame

Apples and oranges, friend.

Try to not bring a strawman to the debate next time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

If and it is a big if...Georgia passes this bill. States would have to honor the laws as stated in the full faith and credit clause. Similar to a State that grants marriage licenses to gay couples. If that couple goes to another state that does not recognize such marriages, they are still married and are given full faith and credit because of Article IV, Section I.

States cannot arbitrarily undo lawful actions of citizens because they do not agree with another state's laws.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Do we have the right to travel as free citizens?

Yes... it is called "Freedom of Movement"

What is freedom of movement? According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) all people are entitled to the recognition of inherent dignity and certain inalienable rights, which are the "foundations of freedom and justice in the world." Freedom of movement is part of the "liberty of man" (Jagerskiold) thus making it one of the most basic human rights. Article 13 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights stipulate: Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each State. Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and return to his country.

www.hrea.org...

Some time ago there was a DoD agent here who showed me the actual law that does not require US citizens to have a license to drive so long as its for personal movement and not for business

I tried to find it just now, no luck yet.. (need the correct search)

Problem is :
A) You would have to carry a copy of the law with you because you know you will get hassled
B) Makes it hard to keep drunks, etc off the road

But apparently it is true. I will look more... I had it saves somewhere... maybe was an older email

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon
This guy's logic baffles me. Driving isn't a right,it's a privilege that one must earn. In doing so,you must show you're qualified to drive,hence the driving test. The driving license just shows you are,in fact,a qualified driver who understands the rules of the road and you (hopefully) won't present a danger to yourself or other drivers.

The license is also a convenient form of ID. It's certainly better than having to carry a passport around with you everywhere. Not everyone can get a passport,by the way. Maybe this guy is part of some agenda to push a national ID card that would eliminate individual State IDs.

Or perhaps you have not realized how things go? Back 300 years ago, I'm pretty sure you didn't need a license to drive a horse and buggy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join