It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act and getting a tax refund via a gas station

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I stumbled upon something rather odd -

I just looked up this gas station chain for some general info - and came across some rather weird stuff.

Here's their link, to start -
Speedway

From the front page of this link - where they are advertising a "debit card" -

The USA PATRIOT Act is a Federal law that requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. You will be asked to provide your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you. You may also be asked to provide documentation and proof of identification. NetSpend Visa and MasterCard Prepaid Debit Cards are issued by MetaBank™, member FDIC. NetSpend is an authorized Independent Sales Organization of MetaBank. Use of card subject to funds availability. Transaction fees, terms, and conditions apply. See Cardholder Agreement for complete details.

MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.

© 2010 NetSpend Corporation.

Here is the gas station page where they go into more detail about this "card" -
More info on "card"

Notice how they're shouting out that it's NOT a "bank". They even say in big bold letters: BANKS? NO THANKS.
But then turn around and say it's federally insured. You can get your tax refund transferred right into it too.

And of course this thing must conform to the "Patriot Act".

This struck me as rather odd. Of course I can see that "accounts" administered by whatever sort of "bank" would need your "info" - I had no idea that this now required due to the Patriot Act. They'll accept your tax refund too?

And this is a pre paid DEBIT card also. TS for you if you just wanted a simple card for convenience.

This entire thing just struck me as WEIRD. I was also unaware of the how insidious and creeping the Patriot Act really was.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It is covered by the Patriot Act because you can launder money through them.

new topics

join