It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager builds a steel melting "death ray"with 58,000 mirrors

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Using parobolic mirrors to focus the sun's rays is not a new idea. A French scientist had a working model of his own, somewhere in Paris during the 1800s. His demonstration included a solar furnace that held a crucible at its focal point, wehere he was melting lead for passers-by.
Here is a link to a more modern example.

www.creative-science.org.uk...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
Using parobolic mirrors to focus the sun's rays is not a new idea. A French scientist had a working model of his own, somewhere in Paris during the 1800s. His demonstration included a solar furnace that held a crucible at its focal point, wehere he was melting lead for passers-by.
Here is a link to a more modern example.

www.creative-science.org.uk...

The kid's project is certainly not the newest gadget under the sun. His is a scaled-down version of the Archimedes Death Ray from around 212 BCE. Parabolic dishes are easier to come by nowadays. Probably more efficient than the old one.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Actually, you can build a pretty neat one using an old Sat receiver dish. The focal point is already there for you.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Nobody claimed it was a new idea! Why can't you people get this through your thick skulls? We're simply admiring the fact that he did something productive as opposed to most people in this age group.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Yeah, I think he should have stored it with a blanket covering the dish. Otherwise a very well-made Archimedes' Death ray.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

And why can't you keep you insults for someone who give a flying F. I was just trying to illustrate how the concept has evolved through the years.
If you want to rant at someone, go back to kindergarten.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
I would think they could put something similiar to use in industry in place of heat sources fueled by other (costly) sources.
You mean like this?

While the mirrors don't appear to be in the shape of a parabola and they don't simulate a parabola exactly, each mirror is at a slightly different angle so they are all aimed at the same focal point, so it's very similar to a parabolic reflector in that respect, it's just a far more economical implementation to lay out all the mirrors on flat ground.

You definitely don't want to be anywhere near the focal point of all those mirrors at noon!

It's nice to see creative kids but I'm glad he didn't burn down something bigger like the whole house...these things are dangerous.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This is amazing! It can't be true though, wouldn't the police of took the gun of him, gave it to the army, here is something though thats realy cool [url=http://

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Fun with science!!
I should have paid attention in science classes instead of drawing for the entire hour each class period!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
that's some really good footage :-o i need one so i can melt my sister, she's very plastic.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intj123

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN

Originally posted by intj123
I didn't even bother looking at the link because I already know I can build the same thing for probably half the price they quoted there.

Do it. Save receipts and show us. Film the entire process and show us your greatness.

Get a dish for free off craiglist and cover it with some $20 reflective tape. What's so hard about that? I don't waste my time filming childsplay.

The kid isn't a moron because you can do it more efficiently... He's an artist, because he is dedicated to detail. What he built was more than simply "functional", it was also "beautiful", like a mosaic of sorts.

Honestly, a moron is someone who doesn't understand the beauty and art that goes along with invention and the creativity process. Creativity isn't limited to or placed into a reductionist method which seeks only efficiency and objective functional value.

Ever been to a hacker convention? I just got back from ShmooCon where the type of creativity demonstrated in this kids efforts is the type which is lauded, because of the dedication to detail. We understand what level of creativity is required to understand and permute concepts in a method we call "fuzzing". This is highly inefficient, yet incredibly productive.

Methinks you need to better understand the difference between moron, and elite.

Here is another example of this level of creativity...

edit on 1-2-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If any of you out there decide they want to build one of these parabolic mirrors I strongly advise keeping it covered or inside when not in use. I have a satellite dish with reflective duct tape on it and while it isn't the best reflective design it will indeed catch something on fire in an instant once that focal point hits it. A few years back I caught my deck on fire with a parabolic mirror when the wind blew the cover off of it. Needless to say a parabolic mirror or fresnel lens isn't a toy.

Just be careful.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Double answer.
edit on 2011/2/1 by C-JEAN because: Double answer.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Death ray lol. Love the name. Can't wait for the death ray 2.
Hope he calls the r32k the doom ray. Or the over 9000 ray.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Exactly. Well said.

Nothing more to add.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join