It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager builds a steel melting "death ray"with 58,000 mirrors

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

That is all.
edit on 31-1-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

Bulbasaur is gangsta.

That is all from me as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Take a look at the fresnel video about the solar furnace - great temperatures, impressive results, but it all happens in a very limited focal range on a small scale. However..... lets just say that anything that can melt steel would be a natural for producing superheated steam for basically nothing other than the cost of materials.
oh yeah, for the non-technical: superheated steam is the one way nuclear and other heat-based generators create electricity, via steam turbine (same as hydro-electric power only a HOT, sealed system). So if you use the device to "melt water" you can generate electricity for free (almost).

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
personally I think the kid's a moron, I didn't even bother looking at the link because I already know I can build the same thing for probably half the price they quoted there. Parabolic reflectors is nothing new, and the kid must of wasted A LOT of time sticking thousands of little mirrors on a dish, when you can simply put relflective tape that is pretty much as effective, but in probably a lot less time then that kid took attaching 5,800 mirrors lol.....

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by intj123
I didn't even bother looking at the link because I already know I can build the same thing for probably half the price they quoted there.

Do it. Save receipts and show us. Film the entire process and show us your greatness.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN

I didn't even bother looking at the link because I already know I can build the same thing for probably half the price they quoted there.

Do it. Save receipts and show us. Film the entire process and show us your greatness.

Get a dish for free off craiglist and cover it with some $20 reflective tape. What's so hard about that? I don't waste my time filming childsplay.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

There are very few times when I wish I could give negative stars on ATS.

It really is true that 1 percent of the population create while 99 percent stand around and say it can't be done. When it is done they spend the next week jawing about how they could do it better... not that they every try...

As far as I've read the kid just did this for fun, not even an assignment. The last time I was this impressed was with that Ausie Kid who is taking on NASA, the Myth Busters, and all comers and (in my opinion) wining!
ATS Thread on Jarrah
Jarrah's youtube page

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Take a look at the fresnel video about the solar furnace - great temperatures, impressive results, but it all happens in a very limited focal range on a small scale. However..... lets just say that anything that can melt steel would be a natural for producing superheated steam for basically nothing other than the cost of materials.
oh yeah, for the non-technical: superheated steam is the one way nuclear and other heat-based generators create electricity, via steam turbine (same as hydro-electric power only a HOT, sealed system). So if you use the device to "melt water" you can generate electricity for free (almost).

ganjoa

You don't have to create steam to convert it to kinetic energy, I believe edison already has a field a parabolic relflectors attatched to heat engines/stirling engines, which can directly be heated by the dish and does it's thing to rotate and giv epower to whatever is harnessing the energy. The steam turns a turbine connected to whatever is harnessing the energy I dunno what they call whats probably a gigantic alternator on it. But it's just more parts if you use steam in my opinion and I have seen a 20ft tall dish steamer connected to a modern steam engine powered generator. There was a slight benefit actually because the generator was located off the dish, I guess that the drawback of going stirling but the stirling method has already proved to be way more efficient than PV solar technology. Not sure about the steam method actually I should try to figure it.

Also I should add something about dish tech, you need to track the sun....with pv solar tech it will definitely still work though not as efficient when the light is at an angle.
edit on 1-2-2011 by intj123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Get a dish for free off craiglist and cover it with some $20 reflective tape. What's so hard about that? I don't waste my time filming childsplay.

Yeah, we all know how it's done, but actually doing it is another story. This guy had to position the 5,800 mirrors in the correct positions in order for them to reflect off one another and reach the center to create the maximum reflection point which is then used to burn through the objects he tests it on.

That process involves math and precision. This isn't "childsplay". It's math and science. If you aren't going to prove you can replicate this when called out on your bragging that you can then I suggest not bragging in the first place.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

There are very few times when I wish I could give negative stars on ATS.

It really is true that 1 percent of the population create while 99 percent stand around and say it can't be done. When it is done they spend the next week jawing about how they could do it better... not that they every try...

As far as I've read the kid just did this for fun, not even an assignment. The last time I was this impressed was with that Ausie Kid who is taking on NASA, the Myth Busters, and all comers and (in my opinion) wining!
ATS Thread on Jarrah
Jarrah's youtube page

You are right. Let's just worship this kid and never do anything ourselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2012DragonSlayer

im gunna make one! off to pick disco ball apart..

Also had that thought when i read it.
So where did mythbusters go wrong?Theirs di'nt work all that well.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

You're the one who claimed you could do it and yet you aren't doing it. So you fall in to that "never do anything ourselves" category just as much as I do.

I'm not worshiping him. I'm applauding him for creating something interesting and educational instead of sitting on his ass playing video games or watching TV. We get it that this is nothing new and he hasn't cured cancer, but it's just the fact that he did something productive with his time instead of wasting it typng lke ths 2 fit a msg n2 140 chrctrs on twttr.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

You're the one who claimed you could do it and yet you aren't doing it. So you fall in to that "never do anything ourselves" category just as much as I do.

I'm not worshiping him. I'm applauding him for creating something interesting and educational instead of sitting on his ass playing video games or watching TV. We get it that this is nothing new and he hasn't cured cancer, but it's just the fact that he did something productive with his time instead of wasting it typng lke ths 2 fit a msg n2 140 chrctrs on twttr.

Yes I said I could, but not that I would. And I probably wont because I'm going PV, the cheapest solar tracker I found was over 600 plus shipping from overseas pheewww. Maybe I will make one for fun after I finish my PV project. Then I really will make the video and smack it on here, but you will have to wait till I feel like doing it, sorry.

Oh by the way if you didn't get my implications it's that it's not worth building if I can't use it for anythign else but frying everything in sight, like a kid with a scope burning ants, it's childsplay. And in order to build something to use it for I need the solar tracker as the base unit of this thing, and I need a stirling engine, so it is not so cost effective at the moment. PV (Photovoltaic) is getting cheaper, and is still economical in the long run(if they really last over 20 years) so I'm going that route.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

but you will have to wait till I feel like doing it, sorry.

No need to be sorry. I won't be waiting in anticipation because I know you won't really do it. So it's all good.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
As others have said this tech is used in Power Plants around the world (Sunlight boils water, steam turns turbine which generates power - there are also some that use melting metals instead of water).. It could potentially be used for a whole lot of other industrial and commercial applications (think welding, cooking etc). Only downside is its day-time only, but you could potentially put one in space so it would work on the dark side of the earth.

Of course that won't happen because there's no money in it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

but you will have to wait till I feel like doing it, sorry.

No need to be sorry. I won't be waiting in anticipation because I know you won't really do it. So it's all good.

Well don't expect it anytime soon, but no one can predict the future my friend, I hope you're still around years later down the road.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cecilofs
As others have said this tech is used in Power Plants around the world (Sunlight boils water, steam turns turbine which generates power - there are also some that use melting metals instead of water).. It could potentially be used for a whole lot of other industrial and commercial applications (think welding, cooking etc). Only downside is its day-time only, but you could potentially put one in space so it would work on the dark side of the earth.

Of course that won't happen because there's no money in it.

HHO welders, look it up. I think you can buy one for around 6 grand. If power generated during the day is stored and can be used at night.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
lol I finally just looked at the link and to be quite frank, I was not impressed...It doesn't look like any serious math was involved to me.

You want to see some serious math here ya go

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by intj123

You had to find a multi-million dollar project to one-up this kid?

I like this kid's project more - has more heart.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
reply to post by intj123

You had to find a multi-million dollar project to one-up this kid?

I like this kid's project more - has more heart.

You guys with your fancy math talk made me look at the kids project and I kind of expected more....
Multi million? Where do you guys get your figures? Seems like you just like to hype everything up, first the math, then the future, then the money, what's next? Anyways I hope you understand why the kid's project is rather dull.

Also the title says 58000 and later someone says 5800. hyped up?....

seeing as I'm so outnumbered here, perhaps I'm the 1% and you are the 99% hah... I'll leave you to your...whatever it is you do....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join