It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Sled Dogs Slaughtered when B.C. tourism slumped

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans
I don't understand the emotional fetish people have for dogs.

Either does the owner of this company.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
The great thing about working in Canada is, you are allowed to say no to certain work duties. If you think it is unsafe, criminal, or plain stupidly life risking, you are allowed to tell your employer to go Fcuk themselves basically. They can't fire you for it. If they do, you win a nice lawsuit with the labor board representing you for free.

But instead this fool who even raised the dogs, decided to do it. IMO, PTSD or not, he deserves jail time. What he did was criminal, and knew damn well what he was doing. I mean he lived with these dogs even. Where was the compassion???

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

EDMONTON — Six years ago, Marc Dumont watched as his nine best Alaskan huskies were carted away from his Bonnyville, Alta., house to their new home near Whistler, B.C.

After that day in August 2004, Dumont told friends he had left his dogs with the perfect person, Bob Fawcett.

But when he came home Monday night, he learned some startling news. Fawcett and his company, have been linked to the alleged killings of 100 sled dogs last April.

"I couldn't believe that it was Bob," said Dumont. "It certainly wasn't in his nature."

The cull came to light on Monday through workers' compensation documents. A general manager with Howling Dog Tours made a successful claim with the workers' compensation board in British Columbia, saying he suffered post-traumatic stress after slaughtering the dogs over two days last April.

Read more:www.montrealgazette.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
SPCA HAD BEEN CONTACTED PRIOR TO THE KILLING!

VANCOUVER— An employee from an adventure tourism company who killed 100 sled dogs in Whistler, B.C., had twice asked animal welfare officials to help find homes for some of the company’s dogs, the Vancouver Sun has learned. But both times the 38-year-old employee of Outdoor Adventures was rebuffed by the BCSPCA.

Senior animal protection officer Eileen Drever confirmed she was contacted last spring by the man but can’t recall if it was in April or May. The cull happened on April 21 and April 23, 2010.

She said she first learned of the slaughter last Friday when the WorkSafeBC report became public, which provided details of the “execution-style” killings of the sled dogs and stated they were destroyed for economic reasons.

“What happened last spring is (the employee) contacted me and complained about some of the conditions of the dogs and I was supposed to go up there and check. I spoke to the owner Joey Houssian and he provided me with a copy of the veterinarian’s report,”

She said she was satisfied with the vet’s report and did not feel it was necessary to go to Whistler and do an on-site inspection herself.

www.globaltvcalgary.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Man who killed 100 B.C. sled dogs turned to soldiers for help with PTSD

VANCOUVER — Internet posts by a B.C. man believed to be behind the mass killing of 100 sled dogs suggest corporate orders were reason for the post-Olympic cull — and no efforts to find adoptive homes were made because the cull was done haphazardly as the business was under threat of folding.

In an online forum for soldiers who suffer post-traumatic stress, Bob Fawcett wrote earlier this month that "soldiers with PTSD could be the only people who could relate to what I have had to be put through."

Fawcett wrote that he was forced to sell his 15-year-old dogsled company in Whistler, B.C., to a corporation two years ago as a result of the economic downturn.

"They did nothing but complain about costs and were not willing to sell some of the herd because they wanted all the animals on deck 'in case' it was busy. We had 330 dogs. Most of them were raised by me and family," he wrote.

"I was told the company was going to fold unless we took drastic action. The drastic action would be the immediate disposal of half the herd. There is no more money and the owners would only continue on if we did the reduction and went with a new business model, less dogs, less costs."

Fawcett then wrote he "reluctantly agreed" to the job before describing the gory details also outlined in a workers' compensation board claim that came to light earlier this week.

"I guess I need people who have been to hell and have seen hell to understand how I feel and maybe be able to listen and share," Fawcett wrote to the soldiers. "Hope I can connect with some of you and help and be helped through PTSD hell."

www.chbcnews.ca...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychNurse

Man Implicated in Whistler dog deaths removed from Board
Vancouver/CKNWAM980

2/2/2011

A man implicated in the killing of 100 sled dogs near Whistler has been kicked off the board of the sled-dog industry's self-regulator.

Mush with Pride has passed a motion to remove Bob Fawcett from their board immediately.

Fawcett was operations manager at Howling Dog Tours Whistler when the dogs were slaughtered, and he is now being referred to as a suspect in the case.

Group President Karen Ramstead says they're not applying blame because the investigation isn't over, but their by-laws allowed for Fawcett's removal.

"We were shocked...to hear it happening, and to hear it happening with an association being made to one of our board members.

Ramstead says they're dismayed that their organization is tainted by this atrocity.

Ramstead says Fawcett was notified of his removal from the board via email and he responded saying that he understands.

www.cknw.com...

Somethings not right with this guy. He belongs to a sled Dog organization and could have put a message out that the Dogs were available. The dogs have actual monetary value. They are trained sled dogs and only were put down because they had to many. I am guessing that the owners did not want them top go to competitors.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

Not A Common Story No Where Else To Turn
Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bob Fawcett, Jan 6, 2011.

Hi All,

Well this is an odd thread but I feel that soldiers with PTSD could be the only people who could relate to what I have had to be put through. I have owned a large dogsled company for the last 15 years. As the economy turned we were forced to sell to a corporation 2 years ago. They did nothing but complain about costs and were not willing to sell some of the herd because they wanted all the animals on deck "in case" it was busy. We had 330 dogs. most of them were raised by me and family (2 kids, now 7 and 11) This year I have lost the medial tendon in both my arms and have badly damaged both ulnar nerves. I was scheduled for surgery in early May. 2 weeks before surgery (still working) I was told the company was going to fold unless we took drastic action. The drastic action would be the immediate disposal of half the herd. There is no more money and the owners would only continue on if we did the reduction and went with a new business model, less dogs, less costs. These were my family. I reluctantly agreed to the job as I have always euthanised the older or injured dogs myself. Taken them for a nice walk, had a steak in a bowl in the woods and their last memory was a lovely mountain setting with a great meal. And always away from the rest of the herd. Well I was told I had 2 days to get the job done due to a large tour group we had coming and we couldn't afford more time. So I my manager take a truck to the bottom of the road so no one could come up and gave him a radio in case I shot myself. I then set about the direct execution of 60 of my friends on day 1. Some I missed, had to chase around with blood everywhere, some I had to slit their throats because it was the only way to keep them calm in my arms. I had one still alive in a pit I dug for a mass burial. I carried them all one by one so as to at least give them some kind of respect. Day 2 was no different. I guess I need people who have been to hell and have seen hell to understand how I feel and maybe be able to listen and share. I dunno if this is the right place, if not feel free to boot me. I have tried other forums but it is mostly out of work people, divorces, run of the mill stress. I have been diagnosed with complex ptsd, i cut myself to have some feelings, drink to have feelings otherwise I'm pretty dead emotionally. I cant sleep, I have regular flashbacks, I sometimes drop when I hear a dog bark, and gun shots freeze me solid. Overall a bit of a mess. I have great kids and a supportive wife but I fear my behavior is escalating and I may be forced to move out so as to not completely freak them out. That's my story. Oh yeah, surgery came out poorly, left my right arm worse than before, and they don't want to do my left one for fear of messing it up too. This leaves me in chronic pain. Thankfully I had full medical coverage and am able to support my family through all this. Kinda at rock bottom here. Hope I can connect with some of you and help and be helped through PTSD hell
Bob Fawcett, Jan 6, 2011

I know I am not a combat person but the other forums do not delve into the kind of death and destruction I have seen. I have been killing for a long time. Loud noises. Gun shots. Friends dead. Tho 4 legged. They were my life. I cant go somewhere else. I have tried and it doesn't work. They don't get it. This is not like losing a job or a wife. I have had to execute and watch most of my best friends die. I hope you all can accept me and offer some advice or maybe just listen. My brother in law in the Canadian forces suggested this to me. I am in a hopeless place. I hope you understand
Thank you all
Bob Fawcett, Jan 7, 2011

combat.ptsdforum.org...-1245

Video is a repeat of the one in my 1st post on the Topic.(For people that may not have seen it)
Video is of live Dogs and no violence.
"Sled Dog Slaughter,100 Sled dogs killed by Canadian Man"

www.youtube.com...

edit on 3-2-2011 by amy2x because: Add Video

edit on 3-2-2011 by amy2x because: Repair Video Link

edit on 3-2-2011 by amy2x because: (repair link)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Update

ctvbc.ca

A former employee at a B.C. dogsled tour company connected to the grisly slaughter of 100 healthy dogs says she left her job there because she didn't like what she saw.

Myriam Blais worked for Howling Dog Tours in Whistler about four years ago, and says the company was already overloaded with dogs.

"When I got there, there were 160 and a few years later there were 300, and they felt like we needed all those dogs to provide for the demand. For me, I was just stressed in that kennel," she told CTV News.

The company's general manager filed a claim with WorkSafe BC last year, asking for compensation for post-traumatic stress disorder after shooting dozens of dogs to death and dumping their bodies in a mass grave in April.

Blais was devastated by the news.

"For sure, I shed a few tears. I'm still really overwhelmed and stressed. I think that I'm still processing this right now," she said.
calgary.ctv.ca...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is how much civilised we are!

There are so many things i could say but...yeah.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...

A secound worker is being looked for in the connection to this appalling event,
I hope that they do get what they deserve, The way in which this was carried out is the biggest crime and the man who is asking for compensation for his PTSD who carried out some of the slaughter should not even get a penny,

I am a sled dog owner and they are an amazing intelligent dog, this is sickening.

There are many places in Canada that do Sled dog rescue so there was no need for this what so ever.. I could name at least a few that would have taken some of the dogs,

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Sledding looks like fun. Lot of work though! I've watched some races on TV in the past. Fawcett was on the Board of a sledding group. The message could have been put out through that group that dogs were available. They should have had value as trained sled dogs. Not sure how old all the dogs were but people will pay a fair price for pure dogs even if they are not papered. Should still get a good price for a 4 year old. My point is that they would have given them away so would make easier to find homes.

Maybe Faucet had some mental problems before doing the killings. It's hard enough putting down a dog that is ill. To put healthy dogs down is not right and maybe not a sane thing to do.

Investigators with the B.C. SPCA are looking into the possibility that a second person was involved in the gruesome slaughter of 100 healthy sled dogs last year.

Marcia Moriarty, general manager for SPCA cruelty investigations, said that investigators learned that Bob Fawcett may have had help in the massacre through postings made in an online forum

"That will obviously be something that our constables will be investigating," Moriarty told ctvbc.ca.

"We look into everything -- every piece of evidence that has been provided,"

In a Jan. 6 post on a forum about post-traumatic stress disorder, a commenter calling himself Bob Fawcett describes how he shot dozens of dogs after being told to take "drastic action" to reduce the herd.

"So I [told] my manager take a truck to the bottom of the road so no one could come up and gave him a radio in case I shot myself," the commenter wrote.

www.ctvbc.ctv.ca...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
They did not even eat them, or sell the meat and fur. What a waste.

The dogs are the property of the owner however, and they have a right to do what they will with their own property.
edit on 4-2-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
You should stop trolling...

he is right though... How many unwanted kids are just put out on the street?

How many animals are killed daily all across the world in shelters? Sure this event is a stupid waste and an even dumber way to do it. But we only scream outrage when it is made front page news...

But who is actually doing anything about it? Vegas has a feral cat problem because people can't afford to or are to lazy to neuter pets, but don't want the litter so just release them to the wild.. Sunset park has a rabbit infestation from released pets. California has outlawed Ferrets because people tired of them just let them go...

I found one in my garage in the laundry basket here in Vegas... no idea where he came from... cute little critter... he chases the dogs

Your tax dollars hard at work...

Rocky Mountain National Park is instituting a program to cull the elk herd...

BLM's plan to cull about 12000 of 38000 mustangs and burros from herds roaming free in Nevada

Wanna adopt a horse?

Can You Trust the Government to Cull Horses??
cliftonchadwick.wordpress.com...

Round em up with helicopters...

More than 1,200 wild horses have been captured during the current roundup.

The current roundup in northeastern California and neighboring Nevada has been going on for a month.

On one side are nearly 40,000 horses spread over 10 states, whose presence on the range is a last vestige of the Old West. On the other is a group of crusty cowboys whose chosen method of roundup involves rotors more than wrangling, using high-tech helicopters to drive galloping mustangs into low-tech traps.

Pressure to Kill Wolves Mounting Across the Western USA

Twelve years after reintroducing gray wolves to the Northern Rockies, the federal government has announced a plan that allows many of these same wolves and their offspring to be killed.

www.ens-newswire.com...

Maybe we should cull Politicians - make room for the animals

Just one point... these are sled dogs.. a highly specialized breed. Great dogs to be sure, but not easy to convert to a household pet.

edit on 4-2-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
According to the American Humans Society approximately 3.7 million animals (dogs and cats) are euthanized annually. Most of this could have been avoided by responsible breeding, spaying and neutering. Most of these animals are just as innocent of any wrongdoing as these dogs and would have made an excellent companion, barn cat, pest control, guardian, etc and had been able to enjoy a happy life.

Maybe instead of becoming angry about this atrocity resolve to do something to help all the other animals who suffer fates barely different and are paid for by our tax dollars. Every atrocity can serve as lesson to better our world; if it doesn't the pain was in vain and evil has won the day.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Thanks for adding the figures
I didn't have time ;up:

Faroe Islands Whale Slaughter Photographed

The whale slaughter is an annual event where thousands of whales are driven into shore where they can be slaughtered, staining the ocean red with blood. This is a traditional cultural event, but like Gunther, I am not really interested in the excuses. The Islanders are so proud of what they are doing though, they are getting the kids involved. That is what is so shocking about the pictures are the kids so happily killing gentle harmless animals.

www.divephotoguide.com...

NPR, Univ of Washington Promote Killing of Narwhal Whales in Greenland

Greenland, the US, Japan, Iceland and Norway are 5 countries admitting they still slaughter whales, while Canadian fishermen do it secretly. NPR on the 19th of August promoted whale slaughter for several minutes.

www.indybay.org...

Ah humans... such a wonderful compassionate intelligent species

:shk:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

And then theres the French Island in the Indian ocean where the local fishermen use live dogs as bait; not sure if you mentioned the seal slaughter that takes place in Canada and Scotland...

We could probably go on for hours of current and often government sanctioned cruelty towards animals and needless slaughter for the benefit of a few bucks...

I think it is interesting that through brainwave scans scientists have been able to determine that cats and likely many other mammals experience emotion exactly like humans do. Isn't it their supposed lack of emotion that makes it okay to treat them as we please?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
reply to post by zorgon

I think it is interesting that through brainwave scans scientists have been able to determine that cats and likely many other mammals experience emotion exactly like humans do. Isn't it their supposed lack of emotion that makes it okay to treat them as we please?

Animals feel emotions, but they don't have souls. That's why we can treat them as property.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
Animals feel emotions, but they don't have souls.

And you know this how?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Animals are physically very similar to humans. However, they do not possess an everlasting soul. Their suffering means nothing.

From Ecclesiastes 3:20-21, KJV

All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust. 21 Who knows the spirit of the sons of men, which goes upward, and the spirit of the animal, which goes down to the earth?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

This isn't proof of anything. Assuming I was a Christian and believed anything written in the Bible something like this could be taken in many different ways. Depending on the translation, the version, and which hands it went through I am certain these words could mean any number of things.

The reality is though I am not a Christian and you better come up with something better than a bible quote to prove an animal has no soul and their suffering means nothing. To me this sounds like a convenient excuse to take advantage of the world without feeling guilt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join