It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Sled Dogs Slaughtered when B.C. tourism slumped

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Sorry I did not respond to all the individual replies to me. I hope this info I found
covers the questions.Maybe someone in that area might have more info to add. Should even be more info today.

The local media is jumping on this like a swarm off bee's and in my opinion work people in to a frenzy. It's an important story though. SPCA takes big advantage to raise funds when a case like this happens. I have seen many news stories on the SPCA operating disreputably in some area's. Not just the USA but the UK to. Not sure about it's reputation in Canada though. In some cases the SPCA was taking well cared for dogs from people so they could sell for a profit. If you Google search "SPCA corruption" you'll find that the SPCA can play real dirty. SPCA will milk these incidents for all they are worth. Like an ambulance chasing Lawyer!

More info below on the man that did the killing. I have no doubt it traumatized him. Hopefully people learn from this incident.

Many of the dogs look like Alaskan Malamute but I do see other dogs that look like
mixed breeds.These dogs would have been adoptable in my opinion.They also should have value since they are trained sled dogs.

The Alaskan Malamute is the largest of the Arctic dogs. This thick well built dog is solid with a plumed tail which is held over the back. The head is wide with erect ears. The eyes are of medium size, dark brown, small, and almond in shape and are obliquely placed in the skull. The dog holds an image of a wolf but with a proud, sweet expression. Dark eyes are preferred. Blue eyes are a fault according to the written standard. The feet are large, of the snowshoe type with tough pads. The thick, coarse double coat averages one to three inches in length and comes in a range of light gray to intermediate shadings of black, sable and shadings of sable to red. Combinations include, wolf gray, black & white, wolf sable (red undercoat with dark gray outer coat), or red. The only solid color allowed is white. The dog often has darker highlights and sometimes has a dark mask or cap. The legs and muzzle are almost always white. In some areas, dogs may be either smaller or larger than the official standard.

The Alaskan Malamute is extremely loyal and intelligent, sweet and most affectionate toward it's master. Great with children who are old enough to play with him safely. If their canine instincts are met, they mature into a dignified and mellow adult dog. They are very friendly and therefore are not suitable as a guard dog. Malamutes are happiest living outdoors as long as they receive enough companionship, but they also enjoy living indoors where their human "pack" lives.

www.dogbreedinfo.com...

Northern peoples have bred dogs for 3 primary purposes - herding, assisting hunters, and for pulling sleds and other conveyances. While Northern hunting dogs, most of which originated in Europe, are still commonly working in their intended duties, and herding dogs are still working in many areas, sled dogs are mainly seen now in recreational roles rather than utilitarian ones.

Although the use of sled dogs has dropped dramatically due to the widespread adoption of snowmobiles for winter travel, the days when dogsledding was a way of life are still fondly remembered by many Northerners.
www.everythinghusky.com...

The dogs were buried in a mass grave.

One dog, Nora, was found crawling around in the mass grave 20 minutes after he had dumped her body into the pit. Others were chased, shot cleanly or died after their throats were slit. The employee, according to the report, was “covered in blood” when finished.

According to the report, on April 21, the man wounded one dog - Suzy, the mother of his family’s pet dog - who managed to run away despite having the left side of its cheek blown off and an eye hanging from its socket. A rifle with a scope was used to kill her from a distance; that bullet passed through her and seriously wounded Poker, a dog that wasn’t slated to be euthanized. It was later killed.

On April 23, one dog, who had part of its head blown off, attacked him after he ran out of ammunition. He killed the dog with a knife, slitting its throat while it was on top of him.

The report said the man, who had named and raised many of the dogs, has “continued to deteriorate mentally and emotionally” since the incident.

While not named in the WorkSafeBC documents, the man has been identified as Robert T. Fawcett, listed in corporate papers as a director of Howling Dog Tours Whistler Ltd.

In a Dec. 27, 2010 posting on a website forum for trauma sufferers, a Whistler resident named Bob Fawcett, an award-winning dogsledder, wrote: “I’ve had a pretty horrible ordeal and actually figure I may be able to be a good sounding board for others . . . and it has pretty much destroyed my soul.”

www.theprovince.com...

But over a two-day period in late April, 2010 he agreed to carry out the orders from his employer to euthanize some of them because part of his job duties “included herd control.” But what made it difficult for him this time was the large number of animals involved.

“In the past, his practice when euthanizing a dog was to take it for a walk in the woods and give them a nice meat meal to distract them. That would make for a calm environment and kept the dogs away from the general population so as not to disrupt them. He would use a gun to euthanize the dogs,” the report states.

However, because of the large number of dogs he said he was forced to euthanize the dogs in full view of the other dogs and by about the 15th dog it appeared to him “the dogs were experiencing anxiety and stress from observing the euthanasia of other members of the pack and were panicking.”

His family physician also indicated the worker, who resides at the same location as the dogs with his family, complained of “panic attacks, nightmares, sleep disturbances, anger, irritability and depressed mood since culling approximately 100 dogs.” In addition to the post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms, he exhibited “dissociative symptoms.”
www.chbcnews.ca...

Here's 34 pictures of the Dogs owned by the Company. I am not sue if any in the pictures are the dogs that were killed.
www.vancouversun.com...

edit on 1-2-2011 by amy2x because: Add image

edit on 1-2-2011 by amy2x because: Add some text

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Much ado about not much.

Animals of all kinds are killed in far less humane ways everyday, I don't understand the emotional fetish people have for dogs.

The guy was an idiot to just start shooting them while they were loose, did he not anticipate that they would run or attack him? Moron.

Flame away.
edit on 1-2-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenBeans
Much ado about not much.

Animals of all kinds are killed in far less humane ways everyday, I don't understand the emotional fetish people have for dogs.

The guy was an idiot to just start shooting them while they were loose, did he not anticipate that they would run or attack him? Moron.

Flame away.

Maybe you need some unconditional love in your life.That's what a dog supplies.

Sounds like your point is that this guy just did it the wrong way.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by amy2x
Maybe you need some unconditional love in your life.That's what a dog supplies.

Sounds like your point is that this guy just did it the wrong way.

Well yeah. He's killed dogs in the past one at a time by distracting them with meat etc. etc. which makes perfect sense. He never had any PTSD over those killings apparently (?), sounds to me like the PTSD is a result of his own stupidity (and being too lazy to do it one at a time like he had in the past).

Michael Vick probably would've given good money for them but they opted to forgo the profit.

All you people saying you would have adopted one or more... there are thousands of dogs available, today, that are going to be killed... get hopping down to the animal shelter right now (your chance has not passed).

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
I believe that if you kill it you should eat it!

The owner of this company should not be allowed any other food until he consumes all 100 dogs; each needs to be honored in death otherwise this was an evil act.

That is my take on it, make him eat the dogs, and make him know what he did! No more pizzas, no more pork bellies, just dog is all we have on the menu for him! Sick Bastard!

Maybe he doesn't like dog?

He could have at least given them to the local soup kitchen though? That would have been thoughtful.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The answer is simple;

If there was real justice in this world, (which there isn't), this company should be liquidated immediately and denied the right to trade. All assets should be siezed and given to animal protection charities.

As for those running this 'organisation' - the decision makers and the man responsible for this atrocious act? Well, real people's 'justice' several hundred years ago would have seen them get theirs. But in our supossedly enlightened times, they'll probably get justice lite.

Were it mine, or the majority's, decision? Lock the b******* up and throw away the key!!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
The answer is simple;

If there was real justice in this world, (which there isn't), this company should be liquidated immediately and denied the right to trade. All assets should be siezed and given to animal protection charities.

I disagree. If there was anyjustice in the world all animal protection charities would be seized and the money would be redirected to help feed starving HUMANS, and help homeless HUMANS out of the freezing cold, and help little (HUMAN) kids with cancer pay for their treatments.

But there is no justice in the world, so people concern themselves with the welfare of dogs instead.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by amy2x

Sick! Humans are the most barbaric species on the planet.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

Please!

Life if never that simple. I tend to give to human charities more than animal. Have you ever seen a medical assistance dog interacting with its owner?? It is amazing because the dog is such a lifesaver. Diabetics are starting to use them and the dog has given them so much more independence.

Q. How long have dogs been man's best friend

A. 80,000 at least!

I think that this was a needless killing. Any relocation costs would have been tax deductible
edit on 1-2-2011 by tiger5 because: add a para

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
Please!

Life if never that simple. I tend to give to human charities more than animal.

Congrats.

Life is that simple.

People who give to dogs before starving kids are morons.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I have actually adopted a dog from a shelter that does not have a non-kill rule...and he now has a good home...so I took that opportunity.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
I have actually adopted a dog from a shelter that does not have a non-kill rule...and he now has a good home...so I took that opportunity.

You should adopt a human orphan next.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

You should stop trolling...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It is a huge news story here in BC. I honestly think that if the owner had simply gone to the media and asked for assistance with getting the animals adopted out, a lot of folks would have adopted the dogs.

My guess is that this guy trying to get Workers Compensation for his supposed-PTSD so he can kick back and mooch off the taxpayers for a while.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The answer is simple;

I disagree. If there was anyjustice in the world all animal protection charities would be seized and the money would be redirected to help feed starving HUMANS, and help homeless HUMANS out of the freezing cold, and help little (HUMAN) kids with cancer pay for their treatments.

But there is no justice in the world, so people concern themselves with the welfare of dogs instead.

I disagree back!!

The money that governments and armies needlessly waste fighting petty wars and pointlessly use on accumulating weaponry and arms for the military industrial complex and intended for DESTROYING and KILLING other humans should be ploughed into feeding starving, housing homeless and paying for cancer treatments in humans. Actually, better STILL, why doesn't the UN set up an international fund for doing this by compelling ALL nations to divert 10% of their military budget into these humanitarian causes.

If there is such as a thing as reincarnation, I hope to god you don't come back as a dog. Perhaps you will. An abused, unwanted, uncared for dog, abandoned and left to roam the streets because a careless HUMAN did not respect you, love you, care for you or show ANY compassion or HUMANITY toward you.

Perhaps then, when you have experienced all that, you might come back as a human being and understand MY argument a little better...
edit on 1-2-2011 by the.lights because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

I disagree back!!

The money that governments and armies needlessly waste fighting petty wars and pointlessly use on accumulating weaponry and arms for the military industrial complex and intended for DESTROYING and KILLING other humans should be ploughed into feeding starving, housing homeless and paying for cancer treatments in humans.

So until that happens (never) we should help feed dogs instead of starving kids?

If there is such as a thing as reincarnation, I hope to god you don't come back as a dog. Perhaps you will. An abused, unwanted, uncared for dog, abandoned and left to roam the streets because a careless HUMAN did not respect you, love you, care for you or show ANY compassion or HUMANITY toward you.

Dogs can pretty much take care of themselves... I hope you come back as a starving little kid and get to see other people feeding dogs instead of you!

edit on 2-2-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I disagree back!!

The money that governments and armies needlessly waste fighting petty wars and pointlessly use on accumulating weaponry and arms for the military industrial complex and intended for DESTROYING and KILLING other humans should be ploughed into feeding starving, housing homeless and paying for cancer treatments in humans.

So until that happens (never) we should help feed dogs instead of starving kids?

Dogs can pretty much take care of themselves... I hope you come back as a starving little kid and get to see other people feeding dogs instead of you!

How can you reduct the argument to such a simplistic 'either' 'or'? Oftentimes it is humans that bring misery on animals rather than the reverse. I can't think of the last time a dog decided to destroy 100 humans just because they were no longer 'economically viable'.

Some people need to start understanding that humans are animals also and not something else instead.

Dogs cannot take care of themselves, especially in a modern, urban environments where there are multiple dangers.

Again, you have not adressed my answer or several of my points. It is not mine, or anyone elses fault, that there are starving people around the world. That is the fault of the governments and those we elect to represent us. Like I said, if I had my way, 10% of military spending worldwide would most likely solve the problem overnight. Banking profits also.

But as I say, it is up to you if you look at the argument as a multifaceted problem, or just take a simplistic, reductive, black and white and either/or world view.

People are not going to stop loving dogs just because there are starving people in the world.

And by the way, I get more love, friendliness and warmth from the dogs I meet in my life than from nearly every human. Think about that!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

How can you reduct the argument to such a simplistic 'either' 'or'?

Because it's that simple.

Dogs cannot take care of themselves, especially in a modern, urban environments where there are multiple dangers.

They can take care of themselves much better than a human child can, trust me, I'd much rather be a sled dog left to my own devices than a little child, it's quite obvious which would be more likely to survive on it's own.

Again, you have not adressed my answer or several of my points. It is not mine, or anyone elses fault, that there are starving people around the world. That is the fault of the governments and those we elect to represent us. Like I said, if I had my way, 10% of military spending worldwide would most likely solve the problem overnight. Banking profits also.

Instead of wishing for things that are never gonna happen, you could help feed starving kids instead of dogs... If I had my way people would take care of starving kids before dogs.

People are not going to stop loving dogs just because there are starving people in the world.

And by the way, I get more love, friendliness and warmth from the dogs I meet in my life than from nearly every human. Think about that!

People are not going to stop loving little kids just because there are starving dogs in the world... what on earth is your point?

So your concern is "what you get out of it?" or you think dogs are more worthy than humans? What is your point exactly?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I hear ya. I know dogs that are more humane than some people. Nothing about this case is humane, not the way in which the animals were put down. If you take your pet to the vet to be euthanized they do it humanely with an injection so the animal just "goes to sleep." And for the other posters trying to compare this case to orphans and starving kids, well they are completely different issues. The OP was pointing out this case as animal cruelty and the man's PTSD. It wasn't meant as a comparison of animal vs human treatment. At least that's my take on it.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

How can you reduct the argument to such a simplistic 'either' 'or'? Oftentimes it is humans that bring misery on animals rather than the reverse. I can't think of the last time a dog decided to destroy 100 humans just because they were no longer 'economically viable'.

Some people need to start understanding that humans are animals also and not something else instead.

But as I say, it is up to you if you look at the argument as a multifaceted problem, or just take a simplistic, reductive, black and white and either/or world view.

Pets are a valuable part of our society. I think there's enough food for Dogs and people.

A lot of the starving in other parts of the world is part of government corruption. Seems that these dictators usually have Billions socked away in Switzerland.

Sad to say,The USA found that over 50 million human babies since 1973 were not viable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join