It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Sled Dogs Slaughtered when B.C. tourism slumped

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This Slaughter Happened in British Columbia Canada.

******SORRY******
I think I may have posted in the wrong forum.I was going to post here at 1st but thought Social Issue forum may be the place for it. I had transfered my Data to other the box to post on Social Issue forum and had to many tabs open and accidentally ended up hitting post button here. I should be more careful. No excuse.

Documents obtained by CKNW radio reveal about 100 healthy sled dogs were killed in a mass slaughter in Whistler last April 21 and 23 ~ 2010.

www.globaltvbc.com...

Lawyer Cory Steinberg says the employee "..... ended up having to do it...I guess the only way to describe it was "near misses". It wasn't always a clean, one-shot kill. Inevitably he ended up seeing and having to put the end to some horrific scenes."

Steinberg speaks on behalf of the worker who doesn't want to be named.

In most cases dogs were shot more than once, or had their throats slashed before they were pitched into what is described in the documents as a mass grave. Some were still alive.

The company didn't contest the Worksafe injury claim. In fact, they even made a correction, where the worker stated he had killed 70 dogs, the company corrected and wrote he had actually killed 100.

www.cknw.com...

The SPCA has launched an investigation following a report that a dogsled tour company in Whistler ordered the killing of 100 dogs when bookings slumped after the Olympic Games in Vancouver.

Outdoor Adventures at Whistler is the company under investigation. Outdoor Adventures is owned by 29-year-old Joey Houssian, son of Intrawest scion Joe Houssian.

the province — reports that a man involved in the dogsledding operation was granted compensation after developing post-traumatic stress disorder for allegedly being forced to kill the dogs.

Moriarty said the man says he was more or less ordered to kill the dogs, but that's no excuse and he's culpable. Whistler lawyer Corey Steinberg — representing the man who filed the WCB claim — has scheduled a press conference at noon today at Whistler.

Moriarty and RCMP(Police) will be looking for the location of mass grave, which is believed to be in the Whistler area.

www.canada.com...

CBC ~ B.C. SPCA probes mass killing of sled dogs

www.cbc.ca...

Radio station CKNW reports some of the dogs were said to have been shot in front of other dogs. The employee said he was attacked at times by some dogs that were upset from witnessing it. It was also reported that one dog had part of its face blown away and had to be chased down by the employee that was doing the killing.

This is a breaking story so not to much about it right. Looks like the on-line sources
took the story of the wire. May be more on it tomorrow or later today.

The Video is a short clip of footage of the dogs pulling a snow sled down a trail during the time of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Some or all of these dogs may be dead but there is no information on that.

edit on 31-1-2011 by amy2x because: Add more info

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Profits come first, everything else is distant to this society we live in. That's capitalism folks, there is much more of stuff like this happening that does not get uncovered.

But regardless of my rant, I really hope that whoever was responsible for this gets put in jail for life with no parole, and not nice Canadian jail either.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by amy2x

S & F
This saddens me tremendously.

I don't know much about sled dogs. B.C is too damn cold for me. I am sure if there was a radio appeal throught out Canada the dogs could be rehoused. Or are they too wild or too bonded to thrive away from the Sledges?
edit on 31-1-2011 by tiger5 because: Add a sentence

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is a horrible act... I'm still shocked about it. How does a person do this... instructed to or not. PTSD, that's the least of your worries... If you believe in the ol' pearly gates, I hope the dogs are waiting for you when you come a knockin'!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything is not money. You can't just throw life away like that. I hope they take the business rights away from the owner, he shouldn't be allowed to own pets like this anymore.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
If justice is to be served, the individuals that owned the dogs should be punished, especially the actual killers. There is no way anyone should obey an unlawful order such as disposing of a living animal. Not only that, the company, Outdoor Adventures released a statement of their own uninvolvement and perhaps should be held to some accountability as they may have known about this prior to owning the company. "OAW was aware of the relocation and euthanization of dogs at Howling Dogs in April 2010, but it was our expectation that is was done in a proper, legal and humane manner."

www.canada.com...

Even the euthanization of animals thought of as"not pulling their weight" should not be allowed...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Radio report says the dogs are working dogs but were friendly. Tourists are taken for rides so I would think that it is important for dogs to be friendly.

It is a very disgusting and cruel thing to have done. Someone has suggested that the guy that did the killing may have been a part owner but no official report on that yet.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by amy2x

S&F

This is disgusting.

I'd find it a damned sight harder to kill the dogs than kill the sick b@stards who ordered it. If I worked somewhere and they gave that order, that person would spitting teeth while I called the cops and protected the dogs.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
First, and foremost, let me say this: British Columbians are just as (if not more) upset about this slaughter of innocent dogs with everyone else. Majority of the populace did not want to see the Olympics here because it was known that basic civility would be sacrificed for the almighty dollar.

I can only guess what will surface in the next few years surrounding the abuse the Olympics have caused.

I am not religious, but if there is a heaven, every single one of those dogs deserves a golden place there.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by amy2x

Did they not think that maybe they could have run an adoption program and raised funds that way? This is sad...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Exactly,

if they had ran a news story saying that a hundred dogs were in danger of being put down because there was a lack of funding to house and feed them, people would have jumped at the chance to adopt or donate money.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
First, and foremost, let me say this: British Columbians are just as (if not more) upset about this slaughter of innocent dogs with everyone else. Majority of the populace did not want to see the Olympics here because it was known that basic civility would be sacrificed for the almighty dollar.

I can only guess what will surface in the next few years surrounding the abuse the Olympics have caused.

I am not religious, but if there is a heaven, every single one of those dogs deserves a golden place there.

The population of of BC according to Internet search 4,551,853. I don't think it would be hard to find homes for 100 dogs.I would think there would be people that may have been interested in a sled team but I guess the company did not want competition. I agree about the Olympics.Disgusting waste of money.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
When you can't afford to maintain an animal, i.e., feed it, shelter it, etc. here in my area of the world, you have few options. One would be to take them to the local ASPCA and pay $60.00 per dog ($6000.00)in order for the ASPCA to take them in, plus nuetering costs or take them to a vet and have them put down at about the same price. The real choices aren't many and the options costly.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This broke my heart when I heard it on the radio today. I had to keep my composure, because I didn't want to have to explain to my 4 year old why I would have been bawling my head off.
I agree with everyone else, there would have been TONS AND TONS of people that would have wanted to adopt those beautiful hard working dogs..
I hope the people responsible get what's coming to them.. I hope vigilante dogs come and rip their f# faces off.. I'm sooo angered by this!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItisTime
When you can't afford to maintain an animal, i.e., feed it, shelter it, etc. here in my area of the world, you have few options. One would be to take them to the local ASPCA and pay $60.00 per dog ($6000.00)in order for the ASPCA to take them in, plus nuetering costs or take them to a vet and have them put down at about the same price. The real choices aren't many and the options costly.

News guy on radio program said the vets did not want to put the dogs down so I Imagine the company was willing to pay the cost of putting.They could have advertised the dogs and offered a bunch of free dog food or other items as an incentive.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
What a waste! I'm sure there has been significant time and money and training put into these dogs if they were working dogs and were socialized to work with the public. It couldn't have cost much to have placed an ad in the local newspapers or even online to advertise these animals for sale or giveaway. One day someone woke up and decided to kill them to be rid of the expense? Says alot about the people responsible for this crime.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Originally posted by queenofsheba
What a waste!

Indeed.

But even if there were some reason that prevented alternatives, why was only one employee charged with this task, utilizing such inefficient means to euthanize the dogs?

This employer's behavior is indefensible.

And what was this employee thinking? Did he feel so trapped by the need for the job that he didn't have the sense to insist his employer dispose of the animals by more reasonable means?

Awful story.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I believe that if you kill it you should eat it!

The owner of this company should not be allowed any other food until he consumes all 100 dogs; each needs to be honored in death otherwise this was an evil act.

That is my take on it, make him eat the dogs, and make him know what he did! No more pizzas, no more pork bellies, just dog is all we have on the menu for him! Sick Bastard!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Why not sell them of or give them away for free?

I bet some of those dogs would have been great companions for many of us.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
100 dogs that is unbeliable. They killed 100 defenceless dogs for nothing. I am in shock.What is it around here killing those animals.You did'nt have to do it.Why the heck did they do that.I am maddened by this incident.It is shocking incident that i think should never of happened.Terrible!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Stuff like that just makes me sick. Those dogs could have been easily placed in rescues, and adopted out. I have rescued a few northern breed sled dogs myself, and they can become excellent pet companions. Animals have no rights in this world. Just look how they just kill off all the wolves, cougars and bears, because of a greedy politicians, or because some stupid hunters needing a trophy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join