It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 quakes rattle Mount Saint Helens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
According to the USGS, there has been 224 earthquakes in the Alaska region in the past 7 days;
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Which would average to 32 per day, assuming that it was more or less constant, with the largest being a 5.3. Considering it lies on the Ring of Fire, and is usually seismically active, nothing too special going on there.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

My thing is, I don't know if I am looking for oddities or they are just happening and I am finding them (without looking)

Me too! I can't decide if I am reading too much into otherwise normal events, or perhaps the press is covering more and more of these things (or my participation on ATS) or ....... could it be .......... all this stuff really is happening at an accelerating and alarming pace?

I like to be skeptical, but so much stuff is happening simultaneously.

I am also aging and looking at the world differently, and I have a sneaking suspicion that every generation goes through a time of disbelief at what the next generation is facing.

I also have two young boys, and I am trying to imagine the world they will face, and it is insane. I can barely imagine the things that have changed over my lifetime, but the things in their lifetime are unimaginable at this point!

I guess time will tell.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I grew up in Alaska. We had earthquakes all the time...

I lived in Vancouver WA (you could see Mt. St. Helens) and it had earthquakes all the time also.

Don't panic!

(Douglas Adams reference
)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Did you read the 6.5? the 5.4? the other 6?
These arent swarm strength quakes IMHO.
The magnitude seems strong for them to be close like that.
Perhaps a longer timeling would give a better picture...
Swarma rarely get above 3 dont they?
After that it must be called a real quake for something?
6.5? are you kidding me? and pretty close to surface too!
well correct me brothers i dont like this at all.....
Many many reports fom all aroundthe world about stirrings in old volcanos.
Gotta be something big commin......

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

15 quakes rattle Mount Saint Helens

www.mynorthwest.com

By JEFF POHJOLA
KIRO Radio

A recent swarm of earthquakes has geologists keeping a close eye on Mount Saint Helens.

The USGS says 15 small quakes, mostly in the magnitude 1 range, shook the mountain over the weekend. A spokesman at the seismology lab at the University Washington, Bill Steele, says the quakes were caused by faults and not volcanic activity.

The most powerful quake measured just 2.2 on the Richter Scale. They were about two miles deep just northwest of the volcano.
(visit the link for the full news article)

You forgot to include the remainder of the article, which is important information to consider before trying to freak people out:

Steele says there were no reports the quakes were felt and the swarm dropped off Sunday.

While it wasn't alarming, Steele says an earthquake swarm near the volcano is closely watched.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Maybe you could tell us where you are getting your information, there aren't any that big in the Cascade Range or Alaska right now. If there were, a lot more people would know about them.

For anyone interested, this is the cross section of earthquakes at Mount St Helens for the last decade, Red is the last month. I don't see 15, but some sources do occasionally post the same event as multiple.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a860a640b352.gif[/atsimg]

Taken from www.pnsn.org...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex
reply to post by stirling

Maybe you could tell us where you are getting your information, there aren't any that big in the Cascade Range or Alaska right now. If there were, a lot more people would know about them.

This is a better article about the activity:

www.king5.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join