It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evacuations begin ahead of cyclone Yasi

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

I doubt he would have power but it would be good to hear from him.

I have relatives that were right in the firing line and I can't get on to them, their phone is off or no service.

I'm sure they'll be ok however it is going to be a nervous wait today until I hear from them.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

That would be a horrible feeling for you and make for a long day. All of these north Queensland towns were built with cyclone proof buildings and that is why the damage isn't worse. The good news is that your relatives will be in strong buildings and in good hands of our government, military and the SES. They have done such a good job (it seems) of taking precautions and stating evacuation warnings.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Thank you. I'm sure they are fine though, yes, it will be a long day.

Just heard Premier Bligh on her press statement say that Cardwell has experienced significant storm surge damage and that boats were pushed two blocks inland.
They are sending in the emergency teams now so we should hopefully know more soon.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Bit off the topic...

Just have to say that you know when one has been reading ATS for too long when you are watching cyclone Yasi footage on the television and looking for UFOs in the background!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I posted this on the in the other thread about this storm but wanted to state it here too.

I am pleased to be able to read tonight that there have been no reports of loss of any lives due to this storm.
Lots of destruction, yes, which sucks, and I feel sorry for and empathize with those who have lost their homes, but they can be rebuilt. It will be a lot of cleanup and work to get things back to "normal", but I'm sure the people of Australia will pull together and come through this with their heads held high just as they/you have in the past.

It is very nice to not be reading about lives lost over this though. Australia seems to have done a very good job with preparation and evacuation.

Edit to add-reply to post by Australiana

Just have to say that you know when one has been reading ATS for too long when you are watching cyclone Yasi footage on the television and looking for UFOs in the background!

lol
. Yeah you might be trying to hard. Did you see any??

edit on 2/2/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I must admit we bag our government all the time but in this instance I think that they have done a really good job. Our military, government, police and SES workers did an amazing job of advising the residents of what to (and not to) do. They had actions in place and broadcasted every step of the way of what towns should flee and even where to go. If it weren't for these initiatives there would have been fatalities. Despite all our natural disasters happening at the moment, Australia does care and we live in a lucky country.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I was watching a ustream live cam in Townsville when THE most amazing perfectly pink clouds started floating past. Went on for several minutes during the approach of the cylcone. Did anyone else see that?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by heffo7

No I didn't but wish I did. Was watching the Ustream up until about 10 pm and nothing but heavy winds was happening then.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I hope everyones family and friends stuck in the cyclone were ok. The damge was shocking... although not as bas as the BOM or media forecast it to be thank goodness.

I have to add a personal remark that even being in melbourne and beinf over 2000km from the cyclone it's affecting us as well. The past 2 days we have experianced massive flooding and severe thundestorms.

I tried to drive home lastnight and the rain was so heavy that even with my window wipers on full i couldnt see the road in front of me and any flash flooding. I drove into water higher than my tyres, although i made it home it was a crazy 6 km drive home.

In 25 years of living in Melbourne i have never seen such bad weather and flooding. Even today i couldnt pick up my daughter as all the roads were closed and flooded. I never thought the weather up north would affect us so far south.

I have never driving in conditions like that, applying my brakes and hearing the friction as they are under water when i'm applying them... it's a strange thing as ive never seen floods in my life. I was driving at 40km/h in an 80 zone on princess hwy as i couldnt see the road in front of me.

Now i understand why people drive straight into flood waters, when it's raining so hard you cant see it coming...

FYI:

I would also like to add that i will be leaving ATS shortly, not that it's really important, but i just thought id mention it. I have had enough of ATS and the paranoia it causes and the inane competivness between certain threads. I started getting jealous and annoyed because another thread was getting more publicity than mine when the main concern should have been all those poor people actually stuck in the cyclone.

The majority of junk post's and threads we see is really a waste of time for the most part. I used to wake up think of checking ATS..... i need a break and really dont feel like returning to ATS. It's really a waste of time, i am only seeing that now.

The site itself is great and has a great structure and format. Although personally i need to take an extended break. As you can already see, i have deleted all my profile information and avatar. I have deleted 95% of my media and uploaded photo's and will shortly delete my main profile and '' my photo '' folder. I havent been kicked or booted, i am leaving of my own free will and by my choosing.

There are more important things in life than conspriracy thoeries and paranoia. If i have learnt one thing, it is that if there is some massive conspriracy or the so called '' TPTB'' ( the powers that be ) they cannot be beat my paranoid disscusions on and website that the mainstream media mocks. If something is going to happen it will, they have the power and the money and that is what matters is this screwed up world.

Whatever we type or discuss on this closed site isnt going to make any difference... and that is what i have come to realise. It is sad but it is the truth.

Seeing the protests in Egypt has opened my eyes to many things, and unless we ever have the guts and tenacity to stand up and protest in such numbers then we will never get anywhere. There is a massive lesson to be learnt, but too many peopel will never see it and never realise, including the governments we dont agree with.

The monent you start to consider some of the junk that is spread on ATS is the monent you are infected with paranoia and the moment you stop thinking for yourself.

Research things yourself, dont listen to junk!!
edit on 5-2-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
finally got power back on.
lost it 7:30 pm Wednesday and got it back today Saturday 5pm

fortunately no property damage but lost all refridgerated and frozen foods, but we got off lightly compared to others

had a little visitor after the Cyclone
sorry for the poor quality youtube

here is a better picture of him

BTW, this was the view out my kitchen window.
edit on 5-2-2011 by munkey66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

no sht a croc!! thats crazy man...

hope everyone there is ok. We have some of the leftovers of the cyclone in Melb, man seriously we have flooding everywhere!!

In 25 years i have never seen it like this in Melbourne, i was driving yesterday and my tyres were completly submerged in water.

Anyways i hope all is well and you were insured
i prob wont see ya again on ATS as per my last post. But goodluck and hope the rest of the year is a little stressful with the weather in QLD

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I saw the name Yasi and new where this cyclone was headin'.

"'BULLFROG?!' I'd have called 'em 'Chazwazzers'!"

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Is that a baby croc (hard to see size on video) and pressume it is a freshie and not a salt water? Munky66 - glad to see that you are OK and survived this ordeal! I must admit, I was so worried about you and your family when you said that were not leaving. I had not heard about those weather conditions down south-east and that is interesting. Did the heavy winds and rain hit Tasmania too? Here, in Adelaide, we only had a sprinkle of rain that lasted 15 mins yesterday afternoon.

Havick007, sad to see a fellow Aussie and a great contributer go... but maybe you will return soon.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Munkey66, glad to see you are okay.

Havick007, so sorry to see you go. I really looked forward to your threads, but at the same time I understand where you're coming from.

I don't post much - I prefer to read. I like to come to ATS to get the "jump" on MSM on items of real importance. In that regard I don't think you can beat ATS.

Good luck in the future Havick!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

it was a salty, around a meter long, maybe a bit longer, I got a chance to see it better out of the water but by the time I got the camera out again it was gone.
the day of the cyclone we had the wind, the next day we had unbelievable lightning storms which shook the windows.

we got through the cyclone better by not evacuating as it turned out, the lights went out and the toilets backed up. the drain behind our property (the one with the crocodile in it) tends to hit a certain level and then stops rising fortunately.

as the rains went so did our crocodile,

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

So glad to hear you're ok munkey66, and with a cool croc-anecdote to boot! (Love the sound of the squelching, rain-soaked grass - hope you were wearing your gumboots lol) It seems Cairns didn't cop it as hard as they first thought. Poor Tully and Cardwell though ...

My family are safe (it was a nervous wait to hear from them) and considering where they live, I'm shocked they didn't sustain more damage than they did.

And now on to the clean up ...

Havick - think about having a little break and returning soon. Your contributions to the Aussie ATS community were cool. Well done.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Netties Hermit

no gumboots, went bare foot in case the croc was bigger than expected
I could make a faster get away.
we where lucky in Cairns, a few trees blown over and missed the storm surge, but I sympathsize with our southern neighbours, going to cost all Australians from loss of produce the floods and cyclone caused.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
You guys and shella's be careful down in under land. Too much mother nature happening down there right now. Come on you leave them alone for Pete and Jerry, and Joana's sake!!! Looks like a new ark needs to be built stat.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join