It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
District-based Carlyle Group has agreed to purchase a Dutch asset manager in a deal that would significantly expand its investment portfolio and make it the world's largest private equity firm.
Carlyle said Tuesday the acquisition of AlpInvest Partners would give it nearly $150 billion in assets under management, up from the current $98 billion. By that metric, Carlyle is expected to overtake rivals Blackstone Group and KKR to become the world's largest buyout firm once the deal closes.
"What it does for Carlyle is it gives them access to very large, very influential limited partners as well as guys who have been in fund investing in a big way for a long time," said Brent Whisenant, managing director with Medley Partners, a San Francisco-based family office.
Membership The Carlyle Group has a combined membership of over 350 individuals, including many key political and military figures from all over the world. The more notable members are outlined below.
* James Baker III, former United States Secretary of State under George H. W. Bush, Staff member under Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, Carlyle Senior Counselor
* George H. W. Bush, former U.S. President, Carlyle Senior Advisor to the Carlyle Asia Advisory Board
* Frank C. Carlucci, former United States Secretary of Defense from 1987 to 1989, chairman emeritus and currently strategic business advisor
* Richard Darman, former Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget under George H. W. Bush, Senior Advisor and Managing Director of The Carlyle Group
* Colin Powell, former Secretary of State under George W. Bush
* Alice Albright, daughter of Madeleine Albright who was Clinton's Secretary of State
* William Kennard, former chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission, Carlyle's Managing Director in the Telecommunications & Media Group
* Arthur Levitt, chairman of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under President Bill Clinton, Carlyle Senior Advisor
* John Major, former British Prime Minister
* Mack McLarty, President of Kissinger McLarty Associates, Carlyle Senior Advisor
* Fidel Ramos, former president of the Philippines, Carlyle Asia Advisor Board Member (Carlyle Asia was disbanded in February 2004)
* Caspar Weinberger, former Secretary of Defense
* Park Tae Joon, former prime minister of South Korea
* Karl Otto Pöhl, former president of the Bundesbank
Among the more controversial partners were members of the bin-Laden family (relatives of Osama bin-Laden, not the man himself). In October 2001, the family sold its $2.02 million investments back to Carlyle after the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01.
The Carlyle Group is a private investment firm with more than $18 billion in liquid capital, and over $44 billion in contracts all over the globe.
Google Video Link
seems to me that some folks in certain regions of the globe might want to get used to a weather forecast of, hazy, hot and humid, with a chance of 'showers'.