It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why didn't Obama admin see this coming in Egypt?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

I don't understand what your point is? Are you saying Obama needs to do something to quell the Egyptian uprising to secure our interest in foreign oil?
edit on 31-1-2011 by nunya13 because: some of my questions were answered in another post

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I think what he's trying to say is that the U.S. needs oil from the mid east, if there is strife in one of our biggest mid east allies then that will have a negative impact on the US energy needs and costs so that instead of looking at alternative and more local resources we should just support a dictator because Mubarek will make it easier to keep doing business as usual.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I don't understand what your point is? Are you saying Obama needs to do something to quell the Egyptian uprising to secure our interest in foreign oil? If so, what do you suggest he do? What would be satisfactory to you?

Thanks for your post. I spent 20 mins typing something only to realize the level of DERP projected by the OP would basically render any response I typed to be completely ignored and disregarded. You summed up everything I was typing here succinctly and a lot more diplomatic.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Don't be so sure that the administration was not aware of the potential for mid-east revolution. One of the things that we have learned in the past decade is that even well intentioned involvement of the U.S. is often seized upon and used to manipulate public opinions, especially in Muslim nations. The lack of direct involvement is, IMO, a calculated response. If we don't strongly take sides, it is more difficult for anyone with, less than democratic ideals, to claim that we are manipulating the situation to undermine the goals of the revolutionaries.

The U.S. has fed and clothed and given health care to millions one day and been blamed for their own homegrown genocides the next... We are learning to stay a bit more hands off and do our negotiations from somewhere other than center stage.

This may be a more effective and more cunning approach than many realize.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants

Originally posted by nunya13

I don't understand what your point is? Are you saying Obama needs to do something to quell the Egyptian uprising to secure our interest in foreign oil? If so, what do you suggest he do? What would be satisfactory to you?

Thanks for your post. I spent 20 mins typing something only to realize the level of DERP projected by the OP would basically render any response I typed to be completely ignored and disregarded. You summed up everything I was typing here succinctly and a lot more diplomatic.

You must type slow. I'm not talking about nuclear physics here just common sense.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx

Don't be so sure that the administration was not aware of the potential for mid-east revolution. One of the things that we have learned in the past decade is that even well intentioned involvement of the U.S. is often seized upon and used to manipulate public opinions, especially in Muslim nations. The lack of direct involvement is, IMO, a calculated response. If we don't strongly take sides, it is more difficult for anyone with, less than democratic ideals, to claim that we are manipulating the situation to undermine the goals of the revolutionaries.

The U.S. has fed and clothed and given health care to millions one day and been blamed for their own homegrown genocides the next... We are learning to stay a bit more hands off and do our negotiations from somewhere other than center stage.

This may be a more effective and more cunning approach than many realize.

If we don't take sides all will be well? Cmon you know who is running the show over there. Muslim Brotherhood despise the west and will do everything to make this the fault of the US. Hell we're already in bed with Mukarik and Israel what more do they need to spin this right at the US?? An all out war is brewing and your playing the same "don't make everybody mad" games that we did in Iraq and Afghanastan that has gotten more of our guys killed than need be. That hasn't worked out to well.

link   
Who says this isn't part of the plan?

We've stopped all forward progress in procuring oil locally and as soon as the mideast domino effect turns all of them against the US. They will sell in other currencies and we will have no access to oil. The dollar will be supplanted as the world reserve currency and there you go. The dollar fails and USA is the newest 3rd world country. New currency and new control.

I think what the present administration is up to is definitely part of the plan.

link   

And you were in Egypt recently and know that the people are not actually trying to free themselves from a dictator?

Crude oil production in Egypt has been in decline for 20 years.

Of the top 15 nations to export oil to the US, only 3 are in the Middle East. The top 2 are north and south of the US. Something tells me oil imports will be fine.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Saudi Arabia is already an Islamic state, thought the royal family pretends to like the West.

It is possible that Egypt will become an Islamic state, but that is not up to us. It is their nation. If Egypt decided that the US was too dangerous as a "Christian nation" and invaded, I'm pretty sure the people would not just allow it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Don't you get it? America is the greatest nation in the world, in fact, the only nation, period. Whatever it wants, it gets. If people halfway around the world have to suffer under a dictator, well so what?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Who says this isn't part of the plan?

We've stopped all forward progress in procuring oil locally and as soon as the mideast domino effect turns all of them against the US. They will sell in other currencies and we will have no access to oil. The dollar will be supplanted as the world reserve currency and there you go. The dollar fails and USA is the newest 3rd world country. New currency and new control.

I think what the present administration is up to is definitely part of the plan.

Thank you at least somebody can see the bigger picture at play here.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

And you were in Egypt recently and know that the people are not actually trying to free themselves from a dictator?

Crude oil production in Egypt has been in decline for 20 years.

Of the top 15 nations to export oil to the US, only 3 are in the Middle East. The top 2 are north and south of the US. Something tells me oil imports will be fine.

So you think we can just rely on mehico and canada?? Have you heard of OPEC? Or I guess your for living in the 1900's in mud huts with horse and buggy and whaling for lamp oil? Oops enviro kooks won't go for that either and probably will be animal cruelty to force em to work in the fields. Mud huts for all then.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
As far as I can tell, the Egyptians are asking for a democratic process, not an Islamic state. The Brotherhood doesn't hold great favor in Egypt according to the sources I've seen. There were news feeds of a group of protesters drowning out the chants of "brothers". The brothers were chanting Alahua Akbar (sp?) and the others began chanting "Muslim, Christian, we are all Egyptian!".

I have not been given the impression this about anti-westernism or religion. I think this is a democratic revolution. If we start bantering about our opinions too loudly, we risk encouraging anti-western sentiment. We don't need to put our nose in the business of the Egyptian people, we need to be focusing on how to quietly provide support to them so that when their government falls, the vacuum is filled by the democratic system THEY want. If we are quiet and help when asked, we will maintain our valuable military and economic ties with them. If we go blustering about in our fashion, they'll be thinking about ways to keep us OUT. If they decide to focus their anger on the U.S., the risk of radicalism is increased.

They are doing what we would want them to do, now we shut up and let them do it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Oh I see...this is Obama's fault as well.

I forget...is he the President of the United States...or Egypt?

[sarcasm]
No, it can't be obowma's fault. After all, he went to the middle east and told them all he was one of them. That should have been enough, shouldn't it have been?
[/sarcasm]

Now Biden is a different story altogether. When it was clearly obvious that egyptians are done with their leader of 30 years, Mubarak, Biden took his foot out of his mouth long enough to say that Mubarak wasn't a dictator and shouldn't have to leave power.

Just the kind of comment that shows how out of touch the administration is on this issue. It also makes it soooo much easier for the revolutionaries to once again declare the U.S. as the "great satan" and thus the cause of all their evils.
edit on 1/31/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Mexico and Canada have been doing a pretty darn good job, so far. Granted, OPEC countries combine for 40% of American oil imports, but why should your comfort come at the expense of millions of people in another country? If the shoe were on the other foot, would you be happy with a foreign country propping up a dictator?

(Waits for the argument that Obama is a Communist/Muslim/Nazi dictator from Kenya.)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

This is what I am perplexed about. People say we need to secure our interests in foreign oil because of our dependency on it. This means spending VAST amounts of money, meddling in affairs that are not our own, and putting AMERICAN lives at risk.

It just seems like it would be so much more practical, moral, and cost-efficient to start looking at ways to move away from foreign oil and even oil-based energy. Obviously, this can't happen over night, but we certainly don't seem to be moving in this direction. Especially with people CHEER LEADING these wars and US meddling.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

Thanks. We must remember to be as diplomatic as possible when dealing with such mentalities. These mentalities are based on fear and anger. If you fight back with fear and anger, you just give them more fuel for their fire.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Yes and no. I think Obama is doing the right thing at the moment in essentially staying out of the mess. However, he knew that Eqypt was being kept just under the boiling point for a very time and with Murbarak 82 years old, perhaps could have been a bit more forceful in working towards a more orderly transition.

Who knows though. You'll never find out what has been going on behind the scenes for any number of reasons. The thing is a mess and there is only blame to be placed on the US President, regardless of what he's done, or not done.

This will not end well. The hard-core Islamists have no ability to govern, something that has been shown to be true again and again. If Egypt's government falls, next will be Tunsia, then Yemen and perhaps Qatar. That will leave the Middle East will millions of Muslims who will be living in societies where basic services can't be provided. Line that up with what will certainly be a wholesale reduction/elimination of US foreign aid to these countries and you will have a region of Arabs in constant turmoil.

I don't think its Obama's fault by a long shot and am certain that things were being done behind the scenes. He will, however get the blame (or credit) for whatever happens here. The US should absolutely toss this neo con rubbish in the rubbish bin and leave the middle east to its own devices. They want to wage a holy war in their own lands, let them. They export that holy war to the US, we take it to them with massive force, immediately, no negotiations, no nothing.

The Islamists should be careful for what they ask for. The whole business of the terrorists being "stateless", hence impossible to attack in a government to government sense looks like its about to change.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
What makes us assume or even theorize that he didn't see this coming? What behaviors has he displayed or words has he said that would validate this assumption? There are literally thousands of scenarios with corresponding protocols and contingency plans in place. Maybe he didn't see it coming as in the exact date and time, but he definitely was aware it was a possibility.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
What behaviors has he displayed or words has he said that would validate this assumption?

You're right.

It's been widely reported that obowma has been attending parties while this whole mess - that could ultimately have a wonderful or terrible effect on the U.S - goes down.

Remind anyone else of what they said about the Roman emperor Nero?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join