It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowy spectacle leaves residents of Gloucestershire, England baffled

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Wonderful piece of art.

This is man made art. I've seen many, many examples of the same sort of thing where I live in the UK.
The other day, I saw someone had painted this large, dead oak pure white from base to top - looks amazing standing out in its surrounding sea of green!
I've even done stuff like this myself years ago. It seems to be becoming a common practice to create anonymous works of art using nature as the medium.

You can see if you look close that the leaf pile has been ridged to create these patterns. I can also discern irregularities that would not be present in nature, such as can be especially seen in the corners of some of the ridges.
As for predictions of snow, they are often correctly predicted (here, anyhow), so I don't see how it wouldn't be easy enough to prepare it a few days in advance even, in preperation for predicted snowfall.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
looks like a light dusting of snow on the pattern left by the last riding lawnmower cut

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
looks like the aborginal paintings...

kx

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

A lawn mower in snow in the woods with growth? You wouldn't see any debris scattered around or discolored snow? No branches, rocks, dirt, shredded growth? Maneuvering it from one circle to where the next one starts? Pretty sure that would be difficult, but however, who cares it looks pretty cool. If someone pulled it off then they've got some nice skills, or if it's the beginning of "snow circles" then so be it. Either way, you need proof to conclude or defend either perspective.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
In the article accompanying the picture it states that the pattern is made by contour marks. In agriculture the ground is contoured in this manner to help prevent soil erosion. The snow does certainly highlight the underlying contours to amazing effect but there are many practical and artistic reasons to contour ground.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.
How about the possibility that, instead of raking the leaves, someone used a lawnmower or lawn tractor to "mulch" the leaves...starting at the trunk of each tree, go around the tree in a circular pattern. With each pass around the tree, you get a little farther away from the trunk. De-activate the blade, move to the next tree and start again. This would explain the "ridges" and the "overlapping" taking place. But as some of you know...this is impossible, unlikely and foolish. Right? Flag for the nice photo, OP!

I agree with what you posted, however, it simply isn't as fun of an answer than other things we could come up with

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Pesky druids at it again.

Looks like some energy radiating from the trees to me. That's what it looks like. Makes me think it's a remnant of some kind, like there was a reaction to some kind of energy that the trees dispelled. Perhaps the snow was charged too?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I am going with Snails on this one,the same killer snails that claimed the life of a young driver not to long ago.www.abovetopsecret.com...
Ever seen a snail shell ,Spirals ,they are everywhere ,ever since the Norway event.
edit on 1-2-2011 by 12voltz because: of the ringing in my ears

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

So you can stand with your back to a tree trunk with a lawn mower in front of you, and get the pattern that close to the tree trunk whislt your standing next to it?

Let me know if that didnt make any sense

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Not a lawn mower

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

How about the possibility that, instead of raking the leaves, someone used a lawnmower or lawn tractor to "mulch" the leaves...starting at the trunk of each tree, go around the tree in a circular pattern. With each pass around the tree, you get a little farther away from the trunk. De-activate the blade, move to the next tree and start again. This would explain the "ridges" and the "overlapping" taking place. But as some of you know...this is impossible, unlikely and foolish. Right? Flag for the nice photo, OP!

That was the first thing I thought of but if you follow as if in a tractor or mower the designs don't exactly match up and continue the way they should as in a spiral design. Farther afield there still appear to be the circles. And that's a tiny mower so though this is the easiest answer...on closer investigation it may not be the correct one.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Another of natures puzzling but beautiful events. You see them all over the planet and on other planets too. They are they to be admired and used as inspiration.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Like a few others here, I have problems with the tractor mower theory. First of all, there is no tractor I know of that can turn that tightly around such a small tree trunk, unless the blade mechanism is located on the side of the tractor, not the back end. In which case, that's a pretty big mower to be out there trying to weave in and around trees, number one. Number two, if it were me, there would have to be some SERIOUS leaf litter for me to even attempt it. Leaf litter like that would leave larger piles, and I can't say from the picture alone, that I'm convinced it's the ground and not the snow.

I disagree with the fairy ring theory....the lines are perfectly curved and perfectly spaced. Nothing in nature is perfect, least of all fungus. While fungus can form perfect circular shapes, I'm hesitant to consider fungus could form concentric rings around every single tree in wave patterns.

I also AGREE with the idea that this looks likes some sort of sound wave patterns, emanating from the trees themselves. If any of you have ever perform sound experiments with liquids, this looks eerily familiar. Imagine a still pool of water....now, exchange the trees for small pebbles and drop them in the water, properly spaced to mimic tree spacing, and you'll see the wave patterns intersect in much the same way.

So my theory? It looks as though, as someone else mentioned, that the earth has naturally pronounced harmonics in this area, which are electromagnetically vibrating the land, the trees, the air, and even the snow when it was falling. If sound can force salt or other fine particles into geometric patterns, then the earth most certainly can as well. It looks to me like this area is one big sub-woofer.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LipanConjuring86

the leaves were mowed/mulched before it snowed.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

So you can stand with your back to a tree trunk with a lawn mower in front of you, and get the pattern that close to the tree trunk whislt your standing next to it?

Let me know if that didnt make any sense

If you are going to mow circles around a tree, then you don't put your back against the tree. Rather, you push the mower around the tree while standing behind the mower. Either you have never seen how a mower works, or you are being deliberately stubborn. Either way, fine, believe whatever you want. I tend to use logic when attempting to unravel a mystery. While others want to deny logic and proclaim a supernatural act.

I suppose this is a mystery too?

edit on 1-2-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

that must be a little mouse sized lawnmower! those rings are no more than two feet apart at most points. unless you're saying that those trees are something like 40 feet in diameter..

i personally agree with MurrayToronto and Ophiuchus 13 on this one.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Very interesting. not a shameless plug, maybe the two are related?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This pic looks like electromagnetic waves from the trees???????

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
also, i think it should be made clear that these are NOT spirals. they are concentric circles. lawnmowers cant do that unless you pick it up off the ground. unlikely.
edit on 2/1/11 by metalshredmetal because: sp

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
If you count the rings, you can tell how old the ground is.

I think that's how it works...right?

MM
edit on 1-2-2011 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

totally agree with you . plus the areas / lines that are snow free can easily be done by sprinkling salt... that way the snow doesn't stay and thus creates a line of no snow.

just my thoughts

snoopyuk

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join