It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

29 States Under Winter Storm Threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I certainly have no memory of a storm this size.

Here in Arkansas the northwest corner (where i live) will have a major ice event, while at the same time in central and southeast Ar there is a threat of tornados, strong wind, and hail.

States from New Mexico to New York will be affected by this storm.

The nation's midsection was bracing for a massive winter storm that was expected to bring snow and ice to much of the Plains and Midwest early this week, and then hit the Northeast and mid-Atlantic region.

Conditions will rapidly deteriorate from north to south across the region Tuesday afternoon with travel likely becoming virtually impossible at times Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning," the weather service warned, adding that snow will be so heavy at times Tuesday night that plows will not be able to keep up.

MSNBC
Add this to 2011 weird list.

edit on 31-1-2011 by amadeus30 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2011 by amadeus30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I took a look at the radar map earlier this morning and saw the same thing...most of the middle of the US from North to South is covered with either snow or freezing rain..Chicago is supposed to get almost 2 feet of snow today..yikes..

I live down here in southern Illinois and I'm sick of this crap already...I wish I could afford to have a winter home in the bahamas or something..
)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It's winter.

Some are mild...some are cold.

Some have heavy snow and ice...some have barely any.

Not to sure where you were going with that post, so I will stop there.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
"Weather Service warns of devastating conditions for Central Indiana Tues into Wed; strong wind, ice may cause tree and power line damage"

Just seen this headline on breakingnews. You don't see 'devastating' used too often. How bad exactly is devastating?

www.breakingnews.com

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Woohoo!!!!! No work till Thursday.Now I can start my beer and taquito diet.
Thank you mother nature

edit on 31-1-2011 by Beavis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Sounds like normal winter weather, here in upstate New York

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
It's winter.

Some are mild...some are cold.

Some have heavy snow and ice...some have barely any.

Not to sure where you were going with that post, so I will stop there.

I realize winters vary in intensity and precipitation, i was just pointing out the size of this particular storm.

This is an absolutely massive storm, and while i'm not that old, i do not remeber a storm of this size before. considering the weirdness already this year i thought it worth mentioning

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow. No more Ice please. Who needs the gym when we keep getting pounded with winter weather every other day -- I Love My Shovel, I Love My Shovel and my bottle of motrin.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Ah snow in buffalo, ny? Unheard of. That's why 4x4 will never go out of style here

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
"Weather Service warns of devastating conditions for Central Indiana Tues into Wed; strong wind, ice may cause tree and power line damage"

Just seen this headline on breakingnews. You don't see 'devastating' used too often. How bad exactly is devastating?

www.breakingnews.com

I've heard the word devastating used several times myself.
A lot will be affected, from travel and shipping of goods to electricity. It's hard to believe this isn't getting more attention.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Yikes. Yes, it's winter, but wow...this is a big one.

Is this by chance the same storm? Groundhog Day Storm May Affect More than 100 Million People

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The snowiest month EVER...according to the news here in connecticut since they started keeping records in 1905.

it was the snowiest january ever until our last storm, then was upgraded to snowiest month ever.

While winter weather is normal in CT, the sheer volume is slightly disconcerting.

getting ready for the big one coming tomorrow and Wed.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Yikes. Yes, it's winter, but wow...this is a big one.

Is this by chance the same storm? Groundhog Day Storm May Affect More than 100 Million People

Yes that would be the same, search failed again.

It's more like 160 million people though

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
No but seriously, the weather has been different for the past few years around here. We have had more tornadoes in the past 4 years than in my 25 yrs. Also some freak snow storms.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by amadeus30

Oh, no biggie. Just thought you'd be interested in the comments there. So 160 million now. And they predicted it so far off. That's pretty interesting.

edit on 1/31/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Ack! That's a huge storm! Thirty states! We're bracing for cold and snow. Fortunately, we won't be in the ice zone.

Get out today and get groceries and water! And gas!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Oh, no biggie. Just thought you'd be interested in the comments there. So 160 million now. And they predicted it so far off. That's pretty interesting.,

Yes thanks for the link

I thought 2/3 of the country being affected by one storm was very interesting to say the least. I do hope it's not as bad as they're saying, but they do not use words like devastating, crippled, and paralyzed in reference to a storm often. It only takes a 1/2 - 1 inch of ice to bring down a power line, and with the extreme cold behind this storm makes me concerned for the safety of the people affected.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

And coming on top of a series of storms that have already left many of these same areas battered. Not good.

Guess here in GA we'll be providing the hot air to fuel the storm.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Indianapolis is expecting and inch of ice! I live in southern Indiana and looks like it will miss us, But we had an ince storm a couple of years ago, and got about 1/2 an inch. It was wild. At night, you could see the transformers blowing up on the horizon, and a lot of areas didnt have power for weeks.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

No....Its based on location. I have lived here in Indiana for 12 years and never have seen over 6 inches at once. At least where Im at. We are expected 12-20 inches plus an ice storm beforehand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join