It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Mad Max scenario is invaild.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If you have seen the Mad Max movies it depicts a world in which gasoline is rare and people kill each other to get what ever little fuel is left. I highly doubt this good happen. Remember before we had gasoline? People used coal to heat their houses (also you can use electricity for heating.) Also we have nuclear power plants. If there was no gas for vehicles we'd have to go back to using horse and buggy for transportation as well as bringing trains back into widespread use. Even that would be temporary until cars could be converted or traded in for electric or solar powered vehicles.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Why is it not possible ? people kill each other over less then that every single day.

In a ideal World it would not be possible. Unfortunately We do not live in a ideal World.

What do you think this war is really about?
edit on 31-1-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

What about Ethanol or Bio-diesel?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think it was more about resources and the way things might be after a collapse of some sort. I saw it more as defending what little you have against a marauding band of mentally indigent individuals that did not take precautions and conserve what little they had available to them and chose to try and take whatever resources someone else did manage to conserve. youtube "water engine". By all means there will be alternative ways to get around other than petroleum. But it is just a movie

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
society breaks down in those films, the people are basically hunters or scavangers so they may not be able to group together to produce these other types of fuels.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You mean small "clans" that have the means and the ability to obtain and refine crude couldn't have an economy based on gasoline? In remote parts of Australia? And these clans wouldn't be under constant threat by those who want it all?

Not likely, but by no means invalid.

No offense, but this is the guy who swore when he was a kid that he was gonna mount a crossbow to the hood of his first car when he grew up, thanks to multiple viewings of TRW.

ETA: Further, if the rest of the world did revert to literal horsepower, think of the tactical advantage a supercharged V8 would have in conflict. Making gasoline all the more valuable.

Never did explain where they got all that Nitrus from though....
edit on 31-1-2011 by Cole DeSteele because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
i agree to some extent.. but wouldn't it be reasonable to think if we were fighting over the last little bit of gas that more than likely all the coal had already been used up?

what about the waterworld theory? although i sincerely hated the movie..
i loved madmax though, i watched beyond the thunderdome last weekend, still loved it, even though tina turner scares me

but yes, i can definitely see the question regarding nuclear power as well.. there is nothing in mad max regarding the use or even location of power plants...

i do think they have it right with bands of psycho people warring over the last of the earth's natural resources though.. my question.. maybe i just never noticed, but what lead to the doomsday setting of mad max? did they ever explain? was it a nuclear war or a giant meteor crash or what??

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
i agree to some extent.. but wouldn't it be reasonable to think if we were fighting over the last little bit of gas that more than likely all the coal had already been used up?

what about the waterworld theory? although i sincerely hated the movie..
i loved madmax though, i watched beyond the thunderdome last weekend, still loved it, even though tina turner scares me

but yes, i can definitely see the question regarding nuclear power as well.. there is nothing in mad max regarding the use or even location of power plants...

i do think they have it right with bands of psycho people warring over the last of the earth's natural resources though.. my question.. maybe i just never noticed, but what lead to the doomsday setting of mad max? did they ever explain? was it a nuclear war or a giant meteor crash or what??

This is explained in the first two films, the second film (The Road Warrior) Is the best one by far,
Here's the intro for you!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wasn't the doomsday explained in part by the story told by the pane crash kids in BT? Remember the "Pocsyclipse"?

Oh for g&^ssake can someone fix this? ARRRgGGhh

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Everyone understands that Mad Max is a movie...right?

So Mad Max is just as valid as Star Wars or Iron Man. It's not really something that is a right or wrong anymore than debating if any fiction could ever be "valid".

Who would win in a fight...Iron Man or Superman?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The real problem is water. What did all these desert people drink? After obama allowed chemical fracking, I'm not sure we'll be able to survive without corporations whose sole product is clear water. Looks like the other countries have followed obama's initiative.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
A couple of days without food in a big city, and no transportation to get any, and "mad max" would be just a beginning.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

No there is a big difference between invalid and not likely. I certainly wouldn't expect the premise of the story based on logic, but I wouldn't say it could never happen either.

Haven't actually paid to see a Robert Downy Jr movie since "Less Than Zero", so can't comment intelligently on your comparison. He was great in that, BTW.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin

Who would win in a fight...Iron Man or Superman?

Chuck Norris
but absolutely the post-apocalypse struggle for resources scenario could happen.
toilet paper, hand sanitizer, numerous personal hygiene products would become almost priceless in value.
edit on 31-1-2011 by reticlevision because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Post-Apocalyptic Metaphor: Those who control the energy supply(ies) have the power.

Of course, it is slightly more complex than that, but that's what it boils down to. And people will fight for energy, whatever form that energy takes.

"Common" people might have horse and buggies or whatever, but they would likely be subject to those with the energy/power/might.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Yeah but lets say groups did form gangs and hoard and steal gasoline. If the vast majority of people gave up or sold the gasoline they had at the beginning and bought a horse they wouldn't be a target since they would no longer have that said gasoline. Also before chaos could break out I'm sure the military would step in to contain the situation.

We could still survive we did in the 1700-1800's without gasoline. As for not having coal we still have nuclear, solar, wind, and hydro power plants we could use for electricity.

Even with trains if there is no coal they could still use alternative means to get them to move.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

But they would likely be raided for what they did have. It doesn't matter if the groups had no gas or energy supplies, those with the power, gangs or whatever, would have free rein to terrorize other people, steal whatever they wanted, rape their women, take their food, etc. Like taking a truck and machine guns into the old west, the resulting imbalance of power would give the thugs the advantage to do pretty much whatever they want. Plus, there will always be some type of technological advancement that groups will strive to acquire (steal) so they can maintain their power (status quo).

People with more power like to take things from those with less power, oftentimes just because they *can.*
edit on 31-1-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Imagine a mega eruption on the sun and an EMP that fries the electronics in almost anything made after the transistor was invented.

The infrastructure collapse would be staggering, cataclysmic.

There are hardened systems to resist this damage, but those systems still depend on other non-hardened systems, and a few and far between.

The cities would have it the worst. No water, because the control circuits would be fried. No vehicles working for the same reason, and thus no food or medical supplies being trucked in. Anything that depends on electronics would be a fond memory.

I agree that the Mad Max scenario is almost goofy today. I think it would be a lot more primitive for many, many years.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think that is just what we need. A total collapse of modern civilization. No electricity, no cars. grow your own food. raise your own meat. Get people back to basics for a couple of decades. Put there heads back on their shoulders. They will stop bitching about every little thing that dosen't go their way. They will apreciate the little things like songs they never used to care for on the radio. Or brucsells sprouts. Clean sox. If ever that scenario happens what you need to do in the imediate present is provide for and protect your own. No more, no less.

top topics

join