It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I've read this article called Contact: The Day After in this months Scientific American and I’d like to share. Here is the link to part of the article:

www.scientificamerican.com...

Unfortunately it isn’t the entire article so I will try to summarize the article.

The article describes the search for extraterrestrial life as done by SETI. It describes how computer processing power has advanced a lot in 50 years of searching for signs of intelligent life forms and, at this rate of advancement, will give astronomers a chance to scan enough stars in our galaxy to have a reasonable chance at detecting signals from ET civilizations within the coming decades. In fact it is stated within the article by Seth Shostak (senior astronomer at SETI) that “if this experiment has merit, it’s going to succeed within two or three decades” if not “then there’s something fundamentally wrong with our assumptions”.

The article goes on describing what would happen when SETI does pick up an ET signal. SETI claims that it would be treated as any other astronomical discovery and that it will be shared with the general public. When the signal is received scientist will have to try and decode the signal but it might take years for them to be able to extract any info from it.

So how will the public react to this amazing discovery? Well some psychologists claim that the story of the discovery would monopolize headlines for a while, but that our collective consciousness would inevitably move on while scientist sought to translate the message.

What’s next, we might want to send a message back, but it’s going to be a long distance call. Scientist think it’s going to be a difficult task figuring out the right language in which to communicate with outer planet beings and hope to even be able deciphering a ET message.
Frank Drake, who also makes an appearance in the article believes that right now there are around 10.000 detectable civilizations within our own galaxy. In the coming 20 to 30 years SETI will be able to have scanned 10 million stars. So if Drake is right with his assumption on the amount of detectable civilizations than chances are very high that we might pick up a signal from at least one of them.

So what do you guys think? Do you believe we have already been in contact with ET’s (which makes this whole article pretty pointless to read) or do you think it hasn’t happened yet, but might happen in the future?

But the question this article raised with me was, how would we really react? How do you think you would react if there is irrevocable evidence that we have been contacted by an ET civilization? Or maybe the question is what would it take for you to be convinced that we have been in contact with ET’s? For example, would a public release of this news by, for example, NASA convince you?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
yeah bud ....

i think the little buggers are and have been among us for some time....like Century's

SETI is funny ....kinda like a joke

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anodyne

So what do you guys think? Do you believe we have already been in contact with ET’s (which makes this whole article pretty pointless to read) or do you think it hasn’t happened yet, but might happen in the future?

I think they are trying real hard to print enough BS to sell a magazine. All media is p*wned.
I suspect the ET's are among us. I also suspect there are other ET's coming in from beyond and with a purpose.
Maybe you should spend some time investigating how the digital change over affects what we have been broadcasting into space. The range of digital is shorter and quieter. It is picked up only by our close satellites and transmitted back down. Why the big rush and such great importance to change our style of broadcasting? To keep other ET's from knowing what is going on here? hmm?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'd like to point out that just because I posted this article does not necessarilly mean I agree with what is said in the article. I posted this article because I thought some people here would find it an interesting read. Also I've seen that many people on the forum are convinced that we have already been in contact with aliens, and also that there are many here who believe the opposite.

I'm just curious after reading the article what it would take to convince someone that we have had contact with ET's. If you believe that we are already in contact with them, what convinced you? If you aren't convinced, what would convince you?

edit on 31-1-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Anodyne

SnF!

I'm not sure if they've would come out telling us before the signal
had been decoded.. But of course, I hope they would have...
The question is, would it be a important message ment for us, or just a
random radio signal travelled 100 LY or more? Okey, even a random signal
would have a huge inpact on our society.. But we could'nt answer
them in any smart or fast enough way yet... N thats the problem..

Peace out !

sKEKKE!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Anodyne

I think there are certain prerequisites that come into play as far as actually being contacted.

I highly suspect that evil ETs are behind the shadow government. I also suspect that there are benevolent ETs that are not on the earth, but are nearby.

If you are aligned and pledged to a system controlled by the evil ETs then the Benevolents cannot and will not interfere. There are Universal rules that Sovereigns must uphold. You must be available in certain regards in order to be contacted by Benevolents.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

It might be they're here.. In fact I do believe so.. But do we have contact with them?
If they can travel that kind of distances, then they are so much more advanced than us...
I think they'll be checking us out, but I do not believe we even could have a normal
conversation with beings 1000 or a million years more advanced than us..
But what do I know

Peace out!

sKEKKE

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think the only way I would be 100% convinced that we've had contact (or ET's visiting our planet) is when I see it with my own eyes. Right now I'm pretty sure we've had visitors from outer space / higher dimensions. This is because there are so many accounts of people claiming to have seen UFO's or having had contact with ET's. I just have to assume that some of those accounts are legit. But there's always that nagging doubt. I mean if they have been here, why hasn't SETI picked up on them for instance. Well maybe SETI is a fake coverup institution or something.... Though I'm not saying I believe that. Or maybe SETI just does not have the instruments to pick up on these things.

If NASA would come out today saying they've had contact with ET's I for one would be extremely surprised, thrilled, excited. But than I would question, is this really the first time we had contact with ET's? Since I find that very hard to believe... So I'll never be 100% convinced either way, unless I had an experience with ET's myself. And who knows I might even start doubting myself.

So 100% convinced, no, but I am strongly leaning towards the, yes we've had contact / visitations.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Anodyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Here's the SETI protocol, if you wish to read it straight from the source....

www.setileague.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Anodyne

Yeah, I agree 100% And for the SETI program, I think they're wasting their time by looking for regular Radio signals.. An advanced race would have used other technologies than our good old radiowaves I would imagine.. I have seen several ufo's in the past years, both with my (D = 120mm F = 1000mm) telescope and with my 2'nd Gen nightvision goggles.. It's amazing what you see if you give it some time..

Sincerely

sKEKKE

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Anodyne

reply to post by Anodyne

I see that this thread is stuck on arguing about the SETI program. Please consider that its purpose has been to turn the tide of disbelief of ETs into a slow acceptance. It need not succeed in any form in its stated goal. It merely is serving its purpose as are any one of dozens of similar programs/projects/lectures/articles, etc. that promote an expanded view of intelligent life in the Universe. (Basically, we can include the whole of NASA.)

The situation is not that they are searching for signals of ETs and then once having discovered them via that way, they are only then going to say, "OK. We have confirmation. Now what?" Science, military and government do not operate from crisis to crisis. The always have contingency plans (not to mention "delivery" plans). That is especially true when they are intertwined as one entity as they definitely are.

I feel that it is a given that once it gets kicked around that we have found Earth-like planets safely out there and seemingly could support some type of life, one of them will soon be found, like clockwork, by SETI to be emanating intelligent signals. That would be about the ten o'clock position on the "bringing humans up to speed" plan. There is a definite route of discovery that we have been on since, oh, let us say, about the time the genuine UFOs first started flitting around our skies. It is a slow process educating the advanced races, let alone the rest of the world. But the pace is quicking if you haven't noticed. The climax is visible, but there are some problems.

Thing of it is, we have those amazing devices commonly called "black triangles" that complicate the whole scenerio. If we compare the reported triangle characteristics to typical UFOs, there is little if no difference in performance capabilities to the eye. Plus, the sudden history of the triangles in the last two decades is indicative that they, as witnessed by their unusual shape (perhaps based on our three-axis system for flight), are evident that they are our machines. (Or you can argue they are new ET machines, which would you prefer?)

In short, the triangles are fabulous machines that are as great of an achievement as the invention of the wheel. The problem is that they are reserved as a military weapon at this time. But that is not the only reason they are still secret craft. To acknowledge them as a new human invention would create difficult questions to the PTB about where that technology came from. And anyone with half a mind can see that they came directly from alien technology. How did that happen? Has secret contact commenced already, have we copied our designs from crashes or have we taken the in-your-faces hint to do our own work?

It seems evident that the triangles soon will be revealed as earthly craft. What must follow that acknowledgement in fairly short order is the further news that UFOs are real. Since SETI is the official unofficial alien detection outfit that people have learned to know and trust, I suspect that when it announces they have detected alien existence, then that will advance the Disclosure timetable to the eleven o'clock position. Not long after that, the alarm will sound, loud and clear.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What people often forget is that the Universe could be TEEMING with life and civilizations, and SETI could still find NOTHING...

Why?

Three Factors: Distance, Time, & Technology

Distance: Even if a bunch of people started broadcasting 500 years or less ago, if they are more than 500 light years away, those signals would STILL be on the way here!

Time: Even if a civilization used radio in the past, those signals may have ended and arrived on Earth way before humans had the ability to detect them.

Technology: Chances are, any given civilization will only use radio (or other currently detectable tech) for a given span of time, making it a real crap shoot that our period of observing overlaps their period of use and time for the signals to reach us.

Still though, for all of this, at least it's something solid and concrete if we actually found something... It's something that would be difficult to refute or hide from the masses. And for that, we should all support their efforts.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think the reason that SETI is being focused on in your thread, is because of the silliness of their entire project like Gazrok mentioned. And do you seriously think that if they found a legitimate, confirm-able alien signal they would share it with the public? Of course not...

The whole article may be an ad for, or a search for legitmacy for, the SETI project. Remember, everyone's number one concern is survival...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Anodyne

I believe that [some] denizens of the Earth have been in contact with being not-from-here for several thousand years, although "contact" might just be in the form of 'Gods' from wherever influencing humanity. I would hope that true contact would involve a dialogue, and a public one at that. What convinced me? Really, it's been a plethora of things........ ancient art, legends, even to some small extent, my own experiences. I believe the majority of the world has matured sufficiently to handle the information. I also believe there are various governments that have proof of EBE visitation (and perhaps dialogue), but being governments and choosing to choose what we the lowly and ignorant peoples might know about, have elected to keep it from us.

Sure, the religious repercussions could possibly be profound, and the growing pains from certain knowledge could possibly be somewhat rugged. I personally see no conflict between the concepts of science and those of organized religion, however I know a few people whom I believe might have a severe psychological break if confronted with certain and irrefutable knowledge that there are other civilizations out there.

reply to post by Toxicsurf

I think SETI would share the info. They need funding and a public interest to continue their works. More importantly, though, I think their "charter" would insist upon it. I believe that the folks of SETI that spend their time monitoring space have a vested interest in realizing their goals. Also, part of the work has been farmed out to volunteers -- people just like you and me -- that use their personal computers to share the load.
edit on 31/1/11 by argentus because: remove churlish phrase

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think this whole SETI thing is a waste of money, just like NASA space program. First, they wouldn't tell us they've found a signal, and honestly, disclosure is only a couple of months away. I doubt SETI scam can deliver anything...

So yeah, it makes this whole article pointless. At least it will make people who doubt the existence of ETs think twice.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I found a very enlightening "documentary" that tries to portray the entire saga of first contact and the events leading up to it. It's about 45 minutes long but EXTREMELY interesting, it starts with SETI finding a signal coming from something 17 light years away and the story progresses from there.

Obviously it's not real but it documents a very realistic scenario of when we finally get an intelligent signal from space and I hope everyone at least takes a look at it.

Google Video Link

edit on 1-2-2011 by CDN King because: (no reason given)

top topics

join