It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have an opportunity to change the education system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Our longtime principal, Mr.Ryan departed for the board of ed last year. Our new principal, Mr.Novak, was a student teacher and worked his way up to a principal, all at our school. He decided to show The Race to Nowhere, a documentary about the messed up education system and how 'success' is measured in test scores. How we're being taught for the test and to get into college, though not being taught to learn.

Today during 3rd period, we're having an open class discussion about the movie and what we can do to change. I have talked to Mr.Novak and he is certainly open-minded to lowering homework, if not getting rid of it, and going in another direction.

To take a step in another direction would almost certainly make the news and send a message to other schools that even though our test scores are high, we are not happy yet not afraid to try new things. If it works for us, which i have a feeling it might create somewhat of a chain reaction. My music teacher made a great analogy. He said it could be like sardines. You have one sardine that commits to go in another direction, a few follow, then a few more, and a few more. And before you know it, every sardine is now going in the other direction.

Mr.Novak is not afraid to be a sardine. I know a lot of people who are fed up with taking a ton of AP classes, just to get a slim chance to get into a "good" college. I know some people who are up to 1AM every night just to try and get their homework done, and frankly, it's taking it's toll. Every day i come in, i see many students who are bleary-eyed and sick

Just a little background, River Hill is viewed as one of the top high schools in the state of Maryland. Our test scores are one of the highest in the state, even in the nation. Kids regularly attend high profile schools like MIT, Harvard, etc. However, many of them fail out because what we're taught in school is to take as many AP's as possible, learn for the test. When you get to college, it's even harder.

Are there any points you want me to bring up, or anything to think about?
edit on 31-1-2011 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Classes should be required in critical thinking, in all grades. It will teach students to actually think for themselves. Also perhaps you could offer electives in specific sciences/tech, such as a semester of Astronomy, Geology, or computer science, so that students can discover if they have a passion for science they might be able to develop. Teach geography and English (vocabulary, spelling and grammar). Teach word roots, or possibly even bring back Latin. Teach Chinese and Arabic. Bring back music and art, as these are essential for a developing mind.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This reminds me of an awesome video I saw. It's some professor whose based in the UK I think, and he brings up EXCELLENT points about how schools are still run like factories (i.e. kids are divided by age, as if their 'date of production' was most important etc.)
Hope you enjoy it
Maybe it'll give you some good ideas to go off of too!

new topics

join