It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Video Games Played With Living Organisms (Video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

New Video Games Played With Living Organisms (Video)

www.theepochtimes.com

Games include remakes of classics like “Pac-Man” and “Pong,” only they’re played with living, swimming microorganisms, complete with a hand-held controller.

…Most of the games are played with paramecia—oval-shaped, single-celled organisms—that follow electrical fields. The game arena is a tiny, liquid-filled chamber lined with electrodes, and the action is captured with a webcam hanging over it. Users can watch the game on a conventional computer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newscientist.com
pubs.rsc.org
www.newscientist.com

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
They're called "biotic games," and use real microbes - usually paramecium. Players control the microbes by applying electric fields along two axes, using a hand-held device much like a conventional video game controller.

Maybe using electrical shocks to push microbes around will create miniature Frankensteins. But still, it's a very cool idea, at least on the surface.

The researchers hope the games will help us all - us and them - understand how biological systems behave and function, explore biological worlds and lead to cross-fertilization between disciplines. And lead to "crowd-sourcing" support of medical research - a kind of beyond-CETI game concept.

Journal: Lab on a Chip

Here we propose the concept of ‘biotic games’, i.e., games that operate on biological processes. …

We found that biotic games exhibit unique features compared to existing game modalities, such as utilizing biological noise, providing a real-life experience rather than virtual reality, and integrating the chemical senses into play. Analogous to video games, biotic games could have significant conceptual and cost-reducing effects on biotechnology and eventually healthcare; enable volunteers to participate in crowd-sourcing to support medical research; and educate society at large to support personal medical decisions and the public discourse on bio-related issues.

Play Pacman, Pinball and Pong with a Paramecium

"Everyone should have sufficient knowledge about the basics of biomedicine and biotechnology. Biotic games could promote that," says Riedel-Kruse. The team hopes that other life sciences researchers will develop games that illustrate their work. They also think that the games could be used to run experiments during play and allow for crowdsourced results.

www.theepochtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31/1/11 by soficrow because: format

edit on 31/1/11 by soficrow because: sp

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
That is just weird.

How long before the movie Gamer becomes reality?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I don't know... to me this is kind of messed up. I'm an avid gamer myself.. but I don't think that I would ever sacrifice an animal's well being for my short term enjoyment. They need to be out in the wild where they can be part of the chain. Lol, almost said "circle of life". I had to fight the urge to break out in song..

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by cerberus00

I don't think that I would ever sacrifice an animal's well being for my short term enjoyment. They need to be out in the wild where they can be part of the chain.

Funny.

But seriously - as a gamer - what do you think of the "biotic game" concept?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Wells its weird and creepy reminds me of sea monkeys
all so found this so maby we could vs them in a game

Team develops DNA switch to interface living organisms with computers Researchers at the University of Portsmouth, UK, have developed an electronic switch based on DNA - a world-first bio-nanotechnology breakthrough that provides the foundation for the interface between living organisms and the computer world The new technology is called a ‘nanoactuator’ or a molecular dynamo. The device is invisible to the naked eye - about one thousandth of a strand of human hair. The DNA switch has been developed by British Molecular Biotechnology expert Dr Keith Firman at the University of Portsmouth working in collaboration with other European researchers. Dr Firman and his international team have been awarded a €2 million European Commission grant to further develop this ground-breaking new technology. But the DNA switch has immediate practical application in toxin detection, and could be used in a biodefence role as a biological sensor to detect airborne pathogens.

www.physorg.com...

edit on 31-1-2011 by xmetalgear because: Added some more bio info

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm not sure any good can come from this. The karma is bad. Just because we can do certain things doesn't mean we should. These creatures weren't put here for our amusement. In a vague way, it's like playing god.

IRM

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Intersting find op! This is not too different from what our military leaders do with "living organisms" (our men and women on the battlefields). Basically they watch our troops from a distance on a video screen of some sort, and "play" with their lives.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
OMG!!!!
so now they Torture microbes!
sick! evil!

lets put humans in a room and make them move,
by electrocuting them.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
So, these microbes don't have any idea they are being controlled by bigger forces? Something so big they cannot even realise the truth behind their existence. Hmmm sounds familiar...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Do microbes "feel" pain? Seriously, do they?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.

Do microbes "feel" pain? Seriously, do they?

No idea, I've never been a microbe.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Thanks for the well thought out reply. I see that most microbes and parameciums have more compassion than you! Unlike you...their I.Q. is "probably" way up there in the double digits.

link   
reply to post by soficrow

This isnt news...... its stupidness!!!!!

link   
Pretty cool. I fear what they will produce next if this playing with micro organism thing catches on though. Reason being is, the human race is stupid, and will probably end up rationalizing a creating our own virus or bacteria game as safe because of reason x.
edit on 31-1-2011 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

They do have "organic" screen television sets. Very expensive...and what a mess if the glass breaks.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Ha, I like how you judge a person by a semi-sarcastic post and think you could possibly know anything about my intelligence. I think my friend, if you had an IQ of above 80 then you would realise that.

Back on topic, I don't think it's morally or ethically right to exploit any life form regardless of size, intelligence or perception of pain.

edit on 31-1-2011 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Back on topic, I don't think it's morally or ethically right to exploit any life form regardless of size, intelligence perception of pain.

signature:
Whats the difference between exploiting parameciums or exploiting poor children, by putting them on t.v while begging for money, as a so-called "charitable contribution? As for your "one-liner" posted earlier..."un-called" for and completely sarcastic!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I'm not so sure about developing this kind of games. I mean, we can play all sorts of video games knowing that it's fun because it's not real, that no one gets hurt, but this...this is just wrong, in my opinion.
If scientists want to find out how these organisms work, that's fine, but don't use them for a video game.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.

Back on topic, I don't think it's morally or ethically right to exploit any life form regardless of size, intelligence perception of pain.

signature:
Whats the difference between exploiting parameciums or exploiting poor children, by putting them on t.v while begging for money, as a so-called "charitable contribution? As for your "one-liner" posted earlier..."un-called" for and completely sarcastic!

I don't get your point, sorry. Sarcasm aside, I didn't actually mention whether they could feel pain or not, merely that I don't think we should be 'playing god' with another life form regardless of how basic it may be. My point was that we could be just a tiny simple life form in the eyes of something else. The Universe is a big place, we can only see what we can understand and only rarely do we understand what we see (or at least think we do).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join