It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Era of Cheap Food may Be Drawing To a Close! (Big Trouble Ahead)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

The forecasts suggest no quick relief for nations bedeviled by record high food costs that have stoked civil unrest. It means any extreme weather event in a grains-producing part of the world could send prices soaring further.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Supply at this point is actually equalling demand? That's bad considering that any funky weather events could cause even greater stress on food production. You'd better be ready for a one-two punch of less selection and higher prices at the supermarket as this disaster continues to unfold. Commodities prices are likely to shoot up higher in the meantime on speculation that yet-be-harvested wheat crops in U.S. and China aren't looking so good.

Hang on to your hats because riots are likely to worsen and spread if prices take a hike and supplies dwindle. Once output falls below demand,you're gonna start seeing some real fireworks....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
maybe i will be ok if i just smoke and drink a bit more than usual as the calories in the alcohol will help me survive and the smoking will stop the hunger

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The problem we have is that foods that are bad for you are cheap while fruit and veg and healthier foods are expensive. It's cheaper to buy chips and sweets than a small bag of apples.

I think we have far too much food available to us and a lot of us could do with cutting down.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

There is nothing more dangerous than a hungry animal, and humans being such, are the most dangerous of all. Especially when they are in an environment where there is food in other homes close by.

I hope that the supply doesn't get lower than the demand anytime soon, as people are already getting pissed at the way the world is going....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Think we are some way off it. Many Countries in Europe still receive huge farming subsidies to stop them producing more than is used. The French are a prime example.

Then you have GM crops and all the rest of it before we reach starvation.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pershing1973
Think we are some way off it. Many Countries in Europe still receive huge farming subsidies to stop them producing more than is used. The French are a prime example.

Yes,we do in fact have the capability to just adequately feed everyone on the planet. What I think you are forgetting are those little things called profit motive and politics that get in the way.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Same in the US. The government is paying them to not grow food with taxpayer money which means food costs the taxpayers more.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Same in the US. The government is paying them to not grow food with taxpayer money which means food costs the taxpayers more.

And the Government is subsidizing most other foods that are produced in order to artificially lower their cost...

If subsidies were removed, Americans would be in for some incredible sticker shock...

new topics

top topics

join