It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights in the sky that disappear when you look at them...anyone else been having similar experiences

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I have been having this experience frequently in the past couple of months. It happens at night when I'm sitting on the computer. Sometimes if I turn my head and glance out the window, I briefly see a light in the sky. It suddenly disappears when I look at it. At first when it would happen, I just shrugged it off and thought it was just my eyes. However, sometimes they are so crystal clear that there's no doubt in my mind that the light is actually there. This only happens when I look out the window at the sky, no where else. It's just a single, somewhat bright light. They have been various colors- yellow, red, blue etc.

Has anyone else had this happen? What do you think it could be? Just for the record, I don't personally believe in aliens but I'm open to any theories. Or if you think it really is "just my eyes" or imagination, I'd like to hear an extended explanation of this phenomena.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The chances are you have been chilling on the computer for quite some time and your eyes are adjusted to observe at a close distance.

When you suddenly look into the night sky your eyes are required to rapidly adjust from near-sight to far-sight.

This quick adjustment can easily distort the actual color and location of stars in the night sky. As your eyes adjust to the long distance they reform your peripheral vision which is why the stars may appear to quickly vanish. The truth is you were never looking directly at that star in particular but a multitude of them.
edit on 31-1-2011 by Pepeluacho because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I had something similar happen to me. After a while I figured out that the center of my retinas were burned and I couldn't see faint light while looking directly at it. I'm not saying this is for sure whats going on with you, just letting you know its a possibility.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Pepeluacho

I'm very familiar with the "after effect" of viewing a bright screen at night for a long time. These lights look very different than what I've always seen as an effect of suddenly looking away from a bright screen. Most of the times it has happened, there were no visible stars in the sky.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by HarmonicNights

Not those lights, but the one we saw... I got the feeling of it watching me and my wife, and then it swooped twards us at the rate of a verry fast speed. check out my new threads, here: I have pictures of what i saw at this thread, www.abovetopsecret.com... and here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanx, Venom.

edit on 31-1-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: adding threads

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Now how bright are these lights? Like a star size? Is it cloudy? What State or Location? I`m actually very interested in what you are seeing.

I was thinking of making a post myself on something that may be similar just wasn`t sure what I`m seeing.
I tried to get some pictures tonight but won`t know if I got them till my sister uploads them off the camera for me tomorrow. And if they don`t show up I`m going to try again tomorrow night again if it`s cloudy. I`ve been seeing these every night but really can track them when it`s cloudy.

I mentioned them in this post even.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It should be noted that there is a particular arrangement of cone and rod cells in your retina that make it difficult to look directly at a small point of light in the center of your vision. Rod cells are for seeing in low light, and cones handle colors. There are more cones in the center of your vision, which may be an evolutionary adaptation for looking for colorful fruits and other things to eat. Rods, on the edges of your vision, are good for seeing predators sneaking up on you in the dark.

So the next time you see a light in the sky that seems to "wink out" when you look at it, try looking at it just off the center of your focus of vision. It's tricky, but you can get used to it. The ancient astronomers of the old civilizations knew the trick for looking at faint stars. Don't look directly at it. Your eyes aren't built well to see it that way.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
im glad you made this post. ive been seeing lights now for about three years. first off me and girlfrined see what we used to think was shooting stars but one night i saw a trail in our atmosphere. we can almost call these shooting stars with our minds i bs you not. second we see lights at star level moving through the sky that brightens and then disappears. im in nashville and we also see on lights pop up on a mountain behind our house and i do have footage of this!! i dont post things cause some people are only out to debunk things. i have a feeling run through me all the time someone is above us monitoring everything and every thought we have!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Star to Blue there, that's just what I was going to post. A useful fact to know actually, that you can see something better in the dark by NOT looking directly at it..

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

These lights are pretty bright and they look about the size of a light on an airplane when they fly by. I'm sure it's not airplane lights, though. The sky looks pretty clear tonight although I can't remember if it was cloudy the other nights I've seen them. I live in Georgia, btw.

Also, lately the sky has been turning red at night, but it only lasts for about 10 seconds. Just a couple of minutes ago, I looked out the window and nearly jumped out of my chair. The entire sky was BRIGHT red, brighter than I've ever seen it.
Then it just faded away like always.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
this is what i think it is
as our minds are slowly becoming more adapted into actually without question believing there is the existence of aliens we see little flashes but our brains do not yet accept it so they disappear...
i see them too
i also see little translucent worms or bugs in the sky that float around and wriggle like a worm on a hook
that and also as if you can see a pulse or wave of gravity go along a path

a good one to experiment with is to go and just watch grass on the ground and look thru all angles of ur eye
corners up down all around but you haveto be looking at one thing,watch every blade of grass move , there is a pattern much the same as rain drops
ive notice i might be looking at the computer screen but at the same time like you i amlooking out the window into the next room and also sometimes places i dont even know of!!!
sounds mental but meh

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

There are no visible stars in the sky tonight. And this is a matter of simply turning my head to the left to glance out the window, not looking for or directly at anything in particular. I have seen the phenomena that someone else mentioned where two stars can look like a blinking light of various colors. This isn't the same thing.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Not to be off topic::::
I think you should post that ina new thread, I have questions about that cuz I would like know more.?

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

Someone started a thread about the red night sky earlier this month:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many people are saying it's either a weather phenomena or spotlights. I just wonder why this has only been happening recently. I had thought about spotlights being the explanation as well, but if it were spotlights, then you'd think the red color fading in and out would be in a pattern rather than completely random. The brightness also varies. I just saw it tonight brighter than ever. The sky was nearly blood red and it was startling.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
If you've ever mistakenly looked at or near the sun before then turned away, it's image will be burned into your retinas for a while afterwards. Obviously the monitor isn't as bright as the sun, but it could still cause the image to be bleached onto your eyes. Take the Jesus picture for example you look at that for only 30 seconds/1 minute and you see a long haired guy with a beard when you look away

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
i have noticed this as well. like a moving light (or star) catches your eye, then you look and blam, gone.

i have even noticed it in the house. quick little orbs seen out of the corners of my eye.

not sure, but my theory would be related to us starting to be able to see into the 4th dimension (ghosts/spirits/

a-leens?). IDK, i think that soon it may all be clear.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
OMG that happens to me that is weird!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The center of your retina contains very many cones (for detecting color) but very few rods (for detecting light/dark). We evolved this way as it gives us better visual acuity right in the center of our focus, which is very useful for hunting in the jungle, but not very useful for stargazing. Astronomers have known from time immemorial that in order to see the really faint stars, you need to look slightly to their side, catch them out of the "corner of your eye" as it were.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Not more than an hour ago I had the same thing happen to me, I was actually outside with the dog. She was sniffing about and I was staring at the first evening star, I then noticed one to the left of it just as bright. As I looked it got brighter and then just disappeared. I looked back to the evening star and that was still visible so I waited for five minutes still concentrating on the same area of sky just in case it was obscured, but it didn't come back? I have no clue what it was and it has left me puzzled.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Hello,

You have just confirmed that im not going loopy. Thanks. On that note, i would like to further back your point up, completely! I too have been experiencing this same "occurance" - And it bugs me! However, what i have tried to do now, is if i see them in the corner of my eye, do not look directly at them, be aware of "it's" presence and focus either in the same direction or somewhere different to where the lights are.

The other morning i woke up roughly around 5 to get up for work, as i was necking a pint of water looking up out the window i couldnt help but see a really vivid bright blue light, right next to a star. That is the most recent one, but like you, the more occurant sightings are when i am on the computer minding my own business, suddenly turning my head randomly to look out into the sky and BAM! gone again, you do think you're going crazy, but thank god you see them too. Its like we are being watched individually. This would also explain how every now and then i would suddenly turn around or look up as an instinct, as if i am being followed or watched from a distance.

Anyway, enough chat, i need to get on with some work, i rarely log in to write comments, but when i do, you know im interested in the subject. This one particular as it is such a precise observation, which i too share.

Keep me updated,
Robbie

top topics

<<   2 >>

join