It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice Volcanoes Erupt Along The Shores Of Lakes Erie And Ontario

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This is an interesting phenomena that I have never heard of, though our friends who live near the Great Lakes may be quite familiar with these interesting formations..

wgrz.com

BUFFALO, N.Y. - Rising along the frozen shores of Lakes Erie and Ontario, ice volcanoes are an everyday sight in the winter, yet their origins may pose a mystery to the casual observer.

Commonplace yet magnificent, these frigid mountains are formed by a clash of elements, creating a beautiful lake landscape. But how are they formed? The process begins simply with the build up of shore ice, which is then compounded by high winds, driving waves against that ice.

There's a brief 3 minute video that goes along with the article

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Very nice, I enjoyed that read and the 'volcanoes' are just beautiful! As much as I would love to see them I think an area where it is that cold, and windy too, is not somewhere I would care to live

But those who do obviously are lucky to get to see these up close!

Thanks

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
That's really weird how those cone versions form. I never would have thought that they could form by way of having water push up through a hole in the ice, as I would expect that hole to quickly freeze shut before any significant cone building occurred.

Goes to show how little I know!

join