It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Addicts pose as homebuyers, then nab prescription drugs from houses that are up for sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Source

Apparently this has been going on for years, but I haven't ever heard of it. Apparently drug addicts are posing as potential home buyers, casing the house, and then stealing prescription meds when the coast is clear. I know that addicts can be downright sneaky and resort to thievery to feed their addictions, but the creativity of this scam just blew my mind. they are not just stealing money from mom's purse, or grabbing money out the register at the corner store. This takes forethought. I couldnt believe it when I read it, but it doesnt surprise me by any means.

In fact the article made me think about how often a home seller invites potential 'buyers' into their homes, when the 'buyer' can be after their meds, money, credit cards, personal info, or just casing the location for a future robbery. Just wanted to share this info with my fellow ATSers who might be selling a home or having starngers into their home for any reason.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
These people will do anything to nab prescription drugs even going into other people's houses to get them.They really are snoopers.These kind of people need to be stopped from doing these thinges.Unfortunely it will never stop and they will continue doing this just to get there hands on these thinges that they so badly need in their life when really they don't.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I really don't know how these people think of these things! I'm no where near creative enough to be a thief of any kind - too much effort trying to think of new ways to rort people!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
I really don't know how these people think of these things! I'm no where near creative enough to be a thief of any kind - too much effort trying to think of new ways to rort people!

You're pretty creative as I have never heard the word "rort" before. Thanks

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

That was my thought. I understand sticking someone up, or just breaking in a grabbing, but the forethought involved to find a home for sale, find an open house event of schedule a meeting with an agent, with the off chance that the drugs would be there.

Its kind of a scary though, everyone at these events is thought to be there with good intent, only to rip off the homeowners...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
sheesh what will people think up next for drugs.. plus I'magine if there not using them there is a big demand for drugs on the street I'm sure there is money to made doing that also..

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
sheesh what will people think up next for drugs.. plus I'magine if there not using them there is a big demand for drugs on the street I'm sure there is money to made doing that also..

My thoughts exactly, dealers would be looking for some free stock too.

The worst part about it is, most addicts have help available to them, but they simply do not want it, or do not know its available to them. For the amount of time, effort and cash that it takes to feed the addiction, the paths to help are generally so much easier.

Without getting too far into the discussion (I know TnC prohibit some drug talk, so if I cross the line I'm sorry ahead of time
) painkillers are mostly what the article talked about, and from what I know from people I used to work with, they sell on the streets for between 10 and 20 a tablet (depending on strength and name)...Every day and addicts are taking 4 or 5 a day on average. Let's do the math....minimum 40 dollars a day.

There is drug replacement therpy available for opiate addicts that is as cheap as 100 for a doctors visit once a month, and then a legal prescription can be obtained for a drug that helps you overcome your addiction. With a prescription plan this can be as cheap as 30 dollars a month. SO Much cheaper, and its a road to recovery. Even without an RX plan, the cost of the med at the pharmacy is gong to be so much cheaper than on the street.

The help is there, it just seems so far away, when in reality its just as close as a phone call.

top topics

join