It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a question about al=jazeera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
why all of a sudden on breaking news forum all these topics crying because al-jazeera is shut down by Egyptian goverment in Egypt or usa prevents you from watching there english language channel. i was under the belief this network was totally against all things western and totally propaganda for radical muslims . why would the goverment not block them

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
why all of a sudden on breaking news forum all these topics crying because al-jazeera is shut down by Egyptian goverment in Egypt or usa prevents you from watching there english language channel. i was under the belief this network was totally against all things western and totally propaganda for radical muslims . why would the goverment not block them

Al Jazeera a propaganda channel?

Have you ever watched it, or judged the value of the journalism. In many ways it's one of the most fair and unbiased channels out there.

Are middle easterns not allowed a news channel?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

That's all FOX News propaganda. Al Jazeera is a Arab News Network, like CNN, FOX, or MSNBC. Sometimes their rhetoric may be as bias and one of those news outlets.

The Egyptian people want to be able to turn of the news to see what's happening in their own cuontry. Would you be upset if the news networks, all but one, went off in your area?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
yes they are allowed a news channel but what i have seen of it has been slanted against the west and my country in general and no i don't watch my channels news media either because it definitely is almost all propaganda . but when i want news i check here or bbc or christian science monitor . but when a channel shows soldiers being butchered or is used as outlet for extremist to get there word out then no to me that makes them enemy propaganda sorry but thats the way i and most of my friends see it.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Al Jazeera is a legitimate news outlet and a major journalistic presence in the middle east. While it is true that they display an editorial bias that is sometimes anti-western, all news organizations are subject to editorial bias to one degree or another. Do you really believe that CNN or Faux News are any less propaganda outlets in their respective coverage? Even the BBC toes the government line as does the Jerusalem Post. All are "propaganda" depending on ones personal views. The only way to be truly informed in todays electronic society is to read/watch the coverage from as many points of view as possible, factor in the respective bias and form your own conclusions.

I have come to appreciate Al Jazeeras' reportage during the current crisis in Egypt. Contrary to your assertion, Al Jazeera is not blocked or censored here in the US.

The move by the Egyptian government to close Al Jazeeras bureau in Cairo, as well as revoking their broadcasting license, is important because it demonstrates the lengths to which a governing power will go in order to attempt to control the flow of information which it considers unfavorable. Since Al Jazeera is based in Qutar (sp?) the net effect of this censorship has been almost unnoticeable. The live shots from static cameras and crews on the streets of Egypt have been superb and very informative.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Al-Jazeera lost all legitimacy with me during it's coverage of the Iraq war. I can't help but smirk at anyone who gobbles up that fodder, much the same as with any major news outlet, but much more so with Al-Jazeera.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I prefer Al Jazeera over PressTV & haaretz any day that's for damn sure.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Let's not forget that we are speaking also of Al Jazeera English, for the most part...and it is run by a former CBC guy. It covers the news that's important to those OUTSIDE of North America.
And I understand that includes a number of people. Its credentials are regarded as great.

edit on 31-1-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join